PDA

View Full Version : New .45 ACP Mold?

Potsy
08-02-2012, 11:28 AM
I've been wanting a new .45 Mold for my Kimber Eclipse. The gun is not finicky as far as feeding goes so bear that in mind.

I'm thinking the same shape as a Lee 230TC, flat based, two or more lube grooves, optional hollow point pin, 230 grn (solid nose), fall from the mold at .454 and run through a .452 lube/sizer.

Probably just do a 2-cavity iron mold with reversable pins. Set up for either 6-cavity Lee or 2-cavity Lyman Handles (I like the Lyman's better, but have both on hand).

Any thoughts on this design? Is there anything like it currently available?
Any recommendations on who should build it?

Also, I'm guessing that the alloy for consistent, pretty, mushroom type expansion would have to be pretty soft (1:20 or so?). Currently, I shoot heat treated WW's with no problem, but how would a soft hollow point fare on the trip up the feed ramp?

Thanks!!!

paul h
08-02-2012, 03:03 PM
I have no idea how long this group buy will take, but this sounds like exactly what you are after.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=151445

geargnasher
08-02-2012, 03:16 PM
The Accurate 45-230L is one I designed especially for Kimbers, particularly the ones with the slide lock lever that stuck halfway into the mag well and made for lots of premature slide lock events with fat-nosed boolits.

TC designs always seem to feed and perform well, so there's no dirt on that idea at all. Two small lube grooves, a reasonably thick base band, flat base, 230 gr. as a solid all sound excellent. I'd get it to cast .453" with wheel weights, that way you can cast it with softer alloy for your HP option and still have it make .4525" or so. TC designs don't take well to too much sizing down in a base-first luber, it tends to push up a shoulder on the nose. If you have a STAR sizer it's less of a problem.

Just my dos centavos.

Gear