PDA

View Full Version : Computer controlled 1050

jmorris
08-02-2012, 09:54 AM
The first run of the PLC controlled 1050 was a success. Along with the auto drive I added a PLC that controls the motor. There is an up and down limit switches that are on a clock so if the tool head doesn’t reach either in the allotted time the timer times out and stops the motor, this keeps the clutch from continually slipping if a jam occurs. I went ahead and made the upper limit switch a round counter to count the number of completed rounds.
I then tied into the powder check die and low primer systems so the machine would halt operation if there were a high/low charge or no primers in the tube. I programmed a routine into the PLC that would count down from 100 to start with and reset every time the low primer alarm was triggered. This way all the operator has to do is fill the tube and press the run button and the screen is automatically reset..
To finish up there will be proximity switches on the bullet/case tubes and powder measure to stop operation if any of them run low. Then build an enclosure for the PLC and display and find something else to tinker with.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/1.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/2.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/3.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/4.jpg

jmorris
08-02-2012, 09:54 AM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/5.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/auto%201050/6.jpg

Click on this photo for the video

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/th_VIDEO0114.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=VIDEO0114.mp4)

rasto
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Outstanding system which is fully functioning.
Will you provide it for sell?
Don't you know if the motor is 60 or 90 Watts version?

LUBEDUDE
08-02-2012, 11:17 AM
How ingenious!

That is just too awesome. I am amazed again.

Thanks so much for sharing.

tadeus
08-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W.R.Buchanan
08-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Now all you need is one of those nice little $300 Dillon Primer tube fillers attached to the primer tube and you could run continuous.

If you have problems with micro switch failure, look into opto isolators, which are little optical switches which are dead reliable.

I talked at length with a guy who mfgs an auto loading machine at the SHOT Show about incorporating these into his machine as he was having trouble with mechanical switches dying after less than 50 hours of use, or about 400,000 hits, he incorporated the Optos and is not having any problems with switch failure. His machine was running between 90 and 120 cycles per minute.

Yours is around 60 cycles per min? So the problem may not show up for a while or at all.

I have done alot of this type of machine design and fabrication for Gaiser Tool Co now Coors-Tek. I designed many of the automated machines that handle and process the ultrasonic bonding tools this company makes. IE the little tools that stick wires onto computer chips.

I found that any operation that you did not monitor with an input to the PLC resulted in a machine stoppage. In the case of your loader it looks like you have most everything covered but you find the all weaknesses when you run it for a long period of time. Good video!

Our production requirements were pretty stringent as we were making product for profit and any down time or scrap cut into the bottom line. The fact that the machine had to be ran by Mexican Women, and had to be nearly dead reliable made the trouble free aspect nearly manditory. It took us years to find all the good parts and to evolve the machines to where thay ran well. These machines were also doing miniscule work, as the largest part that Coors Tek makes is .0624 x .437 !

I wish I had the time to do this work again as it is very satisfying. I'm building a Jeep Scrambler from Scratch instead.

Randy

jmorris
08-02-2012, 05:23 PM
No plans to sell them, by the time I gathered all the stuff together and tried to make a little money for the time you could find a used Camdex or ammoload.

W.R., I have a few of the "high dollar" switches but save them for important projects. With the new little girl, I only go through 20,000 rounds+/- a year at the matches and I got a case of those switches for $0.25ea but I agree they are more "high speed".

Southern Son
08-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Mate,
There is no end to the cool on that thing. You are a genius.

1in9twist
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Nice job! :bigsmyl2:

DCM
08-04-2012, 05:08 PM
VERY nice setup indeed!

shooterg
08-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm just waiting for this guy to modify a DeLorean for time travel...for real !

Artful
08-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Color me Green, and call me Envy - Nicely done

DCM
08-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm just waiting for this guy to modify a DeLorean for time travel...for real !

If we give him some encouragement....

rasto
08-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Technical question.
Is this PLC usable for this kind of purpose?
Siemens LOGO 230RC

jmorris
08-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I'll have to admit, what I know about PLC's is in the project above and not much else. If it were not for the fact I really wanted the display I would have built it with a latching relay and a 555 timer circuit. Would have been much faster than the 3 weeks of trial and error getting everything right.

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I shake my head at the genius of some on here. I cant even figure out a cell phone!!

Kicker96fs
08-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Very, very nice indeed!

Silver-Silver
08-06-2012, 08:35 PM
If it were not for the fact I really wanted the display I would have built it with a latching relay and a 555 timer circuit. Would have been much faster than the 3 weeks of trial and error getting everything right.

Now that you have it all figured out and working. Do you still like the display? It seems like you can just look at the primer follower and see approx how many primers you have left. I do remember you suggesting a 555 to someone else asking about automating a 1050, it was years ago, but your argument for the simplicity made sense to me.

For the alarms (Primer/powder/powder check) did you just run the wires to the speaker and input that signal to the PLC?

Did GSI sell you just the toolhead and bullet insert without a collator?

Well done, and all while you were babysitting your kid. Very impressive. Makes me want to get off my behind and start programming my micro-controller.

-Steve

just.don
08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Truly impressive!

fatelk
08-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Very impressive! I can sure understand how it must take a lot of time and tinkering.

I took some PLC and microcontroller classes, worked with them a little at work, and really enjoy it. I wish I could work more with PLCs because that sort of stuff really is my thing.

jmorris
08-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I would likely do it again for the display as I intend to add a few more features.

The powder check and low primer alarms are untouched except for wiring into the limit switches and removing the battery, no buzz but also no batteries to die.

GSI didn't offer a collator when I ordered my first one, and once I figured out that part on my own all of the ones I have (both GSI and KISS) have been ordered without collators.

rasto
08-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the idea.
I started to program PLC after seeing your video again :-)
It is easy to be done except some counting functions which take my time to familiarize with.

jmorris
08-16-2012, 10:31 PM
If your a PLC guy I bet it only takes a few minutes, I am not one of them. The hard part for me was to get the PLC to work with the display. Really only a latching relay and a delay off relay without that.

rasto
08-17-2012, 01:40 AM
DO not worry I am not :-) (self-educated)
But I made your model in a few hours together with the display.
Right now I am going to make it bullet proof before real deployment.
If somebody is interested the best for it is Siemens LOGO together with LOGO Soft which teach you and let you everything to be done by simulation and after that just upload it to a PLC and you are good to go.

rasto
08-20-2012, 02:17 AM
Here you are some easy understandable sample of the scheme.
http://s11.postimage.org/5gnj5fe4f/dillon_1050.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/5gnj5fe4f/)

Silver-Silver
08-21-2012, 06:06 PM
I have a question for you rasto...
Why have a PLC control the case feeder and bullet feeder?
The inline switch that is already in the circuit turns off the feeder plates. I have never had an issue with any of mine.

rasto
08-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Because it is fine that the feeders stop feed when are out of resources but it is nice when the press motor knows about it and stop turn.
I made some modifications already and bought contactless switches.
The only thing what make me wrinkles is a appropriate motor with gear head :-(

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Don't you just H-A-T-E people who can do this sort of thing, in their spare time...

Just kidding, I take my hat off to guys like you.

Rich
Sua Sponte

Silver-Silver
08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Because it is fine that the feeders stop feed when are out of resources but it is nice when the press motor knows about it and stop turn.
I made some modifications already and bought contactless switches.
The only thing what make me wrinkles is a appropriate motor with gear head :-(

If that is the case then may I offer a suggestion? I would add a second switch near the middle or bottom of the drop tube for cases and bullets to tell the PLC to keep turning. If you use the top sensor in the case feeder you will be stopping the drive motor all the time.

Yes the motors are expensive, I never did figure out exactly what motor was in the PW Autodrive so I can't help you there. However I used a Dayton DC Motor, it had enough torque to do what I wanted with some cartridges, but I think it needed a linkage redesign or something to get a bit more torque to be perfect. The nice thing is it is variable speed, you can load Pistol and rifle by just turning a dial to speed up or slow down the machine. I ended up scraping that project and went a different direction with it. I prefer programing in "C" myself, I find it very simple to read the code as if "this is true" then "do something."
-Steve

dragonrider
08-22-2012, 08:59 AM
That's as cool as can be. Very nice work.

rasto
08-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Wild do not worry about stopping the motor all the time, because as I said there were some modifications and if the bullet nor cases are not feed within 10s the motor will stop together with the feeders ;-)
The PW is using as I thing 90W 1:60 gear ration Oriental motor with magnetic brake.

jmorris
08-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Why have a PLC control the case feeder and bullet feeder? The inline switch that is already in the circuit turns off the feeder plates. On mine the bullet and case sensors are there to stop the machine if either tube is empty. The limit switches on the collators only stop when the tubes are full.

I didn't want to come back to the machine to find a collator wheel turning and a bunch of primed but empty cases in the bin along with a bunch of powder. Is it easy to just look at the mirror above the collators? Sure but I was going for fool proof.

A computer is only as smart as the information you give it.

Ronbo256
08-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Very nice work, I'm duly impressed.

44Vaquero
08-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Outstanding job! This what I love about Castboolits, the talent here really gives me inspiration to attempt more challenging projects.

old_haidouk
08-28-2012, 12:01 AM
jmorris did it again. It was about time somebody managed to do that here in the US, the Italians posted videos of PLC and computer run Dillons on youtube years ago.

I have a 650 and a 1050 and I wouldnt let them run on their own unless I used new brass or a well sorted same head stamp batch.

HATCH
11-03-2016, 10:34 PM
I am getting my shovel out and digging up a old thread.......

Did you make any updates to your original program?

I am asking because I will be spending the next few months playing with a Dillon 650 that has a PW autodrive setup on it.

I am pretty sure of the programming I want.

Inputs
1- start
2- stop
3 - low primer - tied directly to switch on LP alarm - no buzz
4 - powder issue (case) same
5 - powder issue - supply same - using a dillon low powder alarm
6 - case - at the bottom of the drop tube. Makes sure machine doesn't run if no cases
7 - bullet - at the bottom of the drop tube. Makes sure machine doesn't run if no boolits
8 - cycle switch - this is a loaded round counter - used to count primers used and overall rounds loaded.

outputs
1 - run indicator
2 - motor run
3 - fault buzzer

I will use the same PLC that I used on the Master Caster and will use the same display.
I might use a larger one that I happen to have sitting around.

Screen 1 - Title screen - only seen on start up
Screen 2 - Operations screen - round count, primer count - toggle to turn off case powder sensor
Screen 3 - Low Primer - this will display PINK1 and say PRIMER FAULT - will require you to push button (f5) to reset
Screen 4 - Case powder - this will display RED and say CASE POWDER FAULT - hit F5 to reset
Screen 5 - Supply Powder - this will display RED and say SUPPLY POWDER FAULT - will require you to push button (f5) to reset
Screen 6 - No Cases - this will display RED and say CASE FAULT
Screen 7 - No bullets - this will display RED and say BULLET FAULT

I am doing so many screens because its just easier for me to do it that way.
I suppose that I could put all the faults on one screen but I am thinking doing multiple

The low primer and supply powder will automatically start once you clear the fault and hit F5
The case powder will start after you hit F5.
The other faults will require you to clear the fault and then hit the start button.

thats all I can think of right now

Hickory
11-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Is there a patent pending?

dverna
11-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Patents do not prevent anyone from building or making something for their own use. You can infringe on a patent as long as you do not sell the item.

Most of the things we see made by the VERY talented people here do not have a sufficient market to justify the cost of obtaining a patent (about $10-15,000). Patents are not easy to get and just because something is "neat" does not make it patentable.

I was able to break the patent of one of our competitors and obtain a patent on my concept a few years ago. It was an expensive process and took almost two years. Luckily, our competitor did not challenge it, but he could have. So, even if you have a patent, someone will try to break it...and then you have the costs of defending it.

For the average Joe, a patent is a waste of time....most of the time.

Don Verna

Don Verna

jmorris
11-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Hatch,

I haven't don't anymore programming and IIRC even contacted you once I found out we were using the same PLC's and display's (and you knew much more than I did about programming them) as I would like to add to it. Just not enough to go back and relearn. That was the only time I messed with programming a PLC/display.

I would also add an input that would shut the machine down and alert if a Lee decapping stem lifted due to a berdan primer pocket case.

Another that would stop I'd it detects a "ringer" or wrong sized pocket.

From an input like my culler but without the "device" just the trigger portion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V7vSEAqkZw

Might also make one for the low powder hopper sensor, even though I don't own one.

I had the primer count automatically reset when I cleared the rod from holding the switch down.

If you need someone to test out your program let me know;)

Also the 1050 is pretty easy to setup because you only need to be precise on the down stroke (including primer seating depth, set with Allen wrench), because everything happens on the down stroke. Despite this I had a "time out" set between up and down so if anything malfunctioned between the two or at either end, the machine would stop.

The switch on the 650 would be better if it was precisely adjustable so you don't load up a bunch of high primers (stroke has to be "right on" ram up and ram down).

jmorris
11-04-2016, 12:39 PM
This was the first run of (and program I am still using) it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFhnDQ-eUU

HATCH
11-04-2016, 09:11 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161105/11cf4053f1b57a8d5153561703d5744a.jpg

Well it starts next week.
That is a camdex case processor in 9mm and a Dillon 650 with auto drive also in 9mm

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161105/b73010fea81ceee28d62467a3beb7f04.jpg

Bucket of 40 and 45 acp brass (mostly 40)

Send me a copy of your touchscreen and your plc programming. I will look at it and see what mods I can do.

Basically it's pretty easy. I might convert the camdex over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z28z34man
11-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Out of curiosity what PLC and hmi are you using.

HATCH
11-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Click and c-micro

jmorris
11-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Nice thing is they have enough free "sample" programs that you can learn how to program them from reverse engineering, oh and they are cheap.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)

z28z34man
11-05-2016, 09:52 AM
I am an Allen Bradley guy for PLCs but I have done some GE and Siemens. Proface is my go to for a HMI but i have done some allen bradley and wonderware. I didn't realise just how cheep the automation direct PLC is I might have to buy one to play with at home

HATCH
11-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Get the model with battery backup.
This way you aren't limited with your options on features.
Without a battery the plc only remembers data for five or six days (i.e. Cycle count for bullets or non-default settings)
It will retain the program forever so don't worry.

jmorris
11-05-2016, 11:57 AM
I didn't realise just how cheep the automation direct PLC is

Thats the first thing I thought, I have relays that cost more.