PDA

View Full Version : Cody Dixon 30/30 load

makicjf
08-01-2012, 11:22 PM
The two cowboy action clubs I belong to both have long (owboy action long range) range rifle categories. They range from 80-110 yards. I used my 45 colt rossi last month in a special category, but would like to use my 336 30/30. My issue is this: the loads I have that meet the velocity requirement of 1400ish fps shoot about nine inches low at 25 yards. They group well but LOW. I am out of elevation. My full bore 30 grain imr3031 under the lee 170 ( 178 checked and lubed) gc rnfp are about 1/2 inch high at 100 yards. Perfect for me. I tried 13.3 of H110 and 10 of unique- same point of impact. I would like to use unique as I have a bunch. Would adding some filler help? Moreover, why do these shoot so low? The soupcan 113"s shoot just as low. ( Though I have popped a few squirrels with them) Windage and elevation, Ma"am. Windage and elevation...
Thanks!
Jason

btroj
08-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Shooting them that slow is going to cause a low impact. Period. Fact of life.

More filler won't help. Different powder isn't likely to help.

Get a shorter front sight. Maybe a taller rear sight. That will solve the problem. The sights on your rifle were designed to work with full power loads, not reduced loads.

As to why? You are shooing the bullet 700 to 800 fps slower. Why would you expect it to have same point of impact? That is a 1/3 or so reduction in velocity.

Nobade
08-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I either use a Williams receiver sight or a barrel sight with a slider to allow me to zero the rifle with whatever load I want to use. If I want to shoot it with a different load I just re-zero the sights.

You didn't say how heavy a bullet you are using. I assume not the soupcan boolit? And why so slow? Is that a club rule to prevent target damage? Or a SASS rule? If so, then like I said above, you'll have to come up with a sight combination that allows you to get a good zero and correct comeups for the different ranges.

w30wcf
08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
I would definitely NOT use filler with either of those fast burning powders in the .30-30. It will raise pressures dramatically.

In addition to the excellent advice given, you could try holding the bottom of the front sight at the top of the rear sight rather than in the notch.

w30wcf

makicjf
08-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys. I was pretty sure filler would run the pressures up. If I remeber right the unique load is already over 32k. The velocity requirement is a blanket rule to protect the targets, though a 405 doing 1280 fps will bang a target way harder than a 178 doing a reasonable velocity. The 113's are the soupcans. I had considered a reciever peep like the williams, but the rules disallow that. I would need a tang sight. This is often a saddle scabbard gun and I'm not sure how that would hold up. I may go to the range and see what happens with a top edge hold. The targets are pretty big. The different hold in the notch I tried and it works pretty well. However, in the moment I invariably forget and use a more conventional sight picture. Under time I revert to training I guess.
Thanks!
Jason

northmn
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Try the 170's. Different bullet weights can also change things. May not work but its worth a try before you change sights. I would try for a more adjustable rear sight.

DP

popper
08-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Get someone to make you a taller shim under the rear sight. 9" drop @ 25? 1400 vs 1900-2000 - something doesn't sound right if sighted @ 100. Check it on a ballistic calc. I haven't gotten good groups with unique at anything greater than 50. Try 2400?

Larry Gibson
08-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Get someone to make you a taller shim under the rear sight. 9" drop @ 25? 1400 vs 1900-2000 - something doesn't sound right if sighted @ 100. Check it on a ballistic calc. I haven't gotten good groups with unique at anything greater than 50. Try 2400?

I concur, something doesn't sound right. Get a different front sight or file it if post so with your full bore 30 grain imr3031 under the lee 170 ( 178 checked and lubed) gc rnfp are about 1/2 inch high at 100 yards. is zeroed such with the rear sight at it's lowest setting. Then you should have no issues (asuming a factory rear sight with elevator slide) zeroing with the slower CBA load. The notches in the elevator can be filed for precise zeroing or even a new one made.

Larry Gibson

makicjf
08-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I'll put some on paper tonight and double check the 9 inches--- they were pretty low last time but my memory may be stretching the number. Even for the hunting load I have the elevator all the way to the top. Maybe I could get a shorter fronsight for the marlin. I actually like the fine bead, so do not want to file it down.
Thanks,
Jason

Larry Gibson
08-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Even for the hunting load I have the elevator all the way to the top.

Tha be the case then a shorter front sight is definately needed.

Larry Gibson

makicjf
08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
So my memory was off- the unique load grouped 2 in a ragged hole and one just off to the left about 3/4 of an inch- not bad for nealing, but SIX inches low, not nine. the full power load hit just above (like 3/8 inch ) the point of aim. So I swapped out the elevators between the high shooting rossi 92 and the low hitting marlin-- prblem solved! I will go to the range and double check at one hundred yards but it worked at 25!
Thanks Guys!
Jason

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-02-2012, 11:29 PM
my marlin shoots with a factory 170 right on with the elevator at the lowest setting , i moved it 3 levels for my lee 170 doing about 1400 fps and i am on at 25 , actually at 25 i was basically on either way but now i am on at 50 and 100 also i use h4895 , but might try some other things

i would think that having the lee mold plain based would make it better for the distance it would be interesting to put a scope on it for load development and really work up a 100 yard load now 6 inches is about all my eyes can do or maybe it's the load don't know i will get to it some day.