PDA

View Full Version : old M&P

Frosty Boolit
08-01-2012, 09:29 PM
I was at a place today that had an old pre model 10 that was at least 4 maybe five screw.(grips were in the way). It did not have a serial prefix and was 6 digits beginning with 1. I was immediatley drwan to this revolver. Ihad a six inch barrel And much finish was gone and replaced with patina. The ejector rod had a mushroom shape on the knurled part that had a recess cut into the slim taper barrel for it to fit into. The price was $225 solid and I passed. Now I am havinjg second thoughts. What do you all think?

Ernest
08-01-2012, 10:07 PM
if it is mechanically sound you can not go wring @ 225!

Char-Gar
08-01-2012, 10:31 PM
The handgun was made somewhere between 1907 and 1913. Without more of the serial number that is close as I can get.

I own several M & Ps of that date and up to 1935 and have owned many more over the years. They are fine sixguns, but won't take today's hot +P loads without significant wear. Still there is lots of fun to be hand with standard pressure 38 Specials.

With a handgun that is 100 years old, It is impossible to give any kind of value without having it in my hand. But, if it is indeed in good shooting condition, $225.00 is a very good price.

It most definitly is a 5 screw model. The larger screw at the top of the sideplate was not done away with until the 1950s. All Smith and Wesson hand ejector (side swing cylinder) handguns have a sideplate screw that is covered with later taller grips. If the grips are covering the lower sideplate screw they are not original to the gun.

Frosty Boolit
08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Well, I could'nt help myself so I went back and bought it! It is indeed a 5 screw with some hideous non-original grips on it. The first thre numbers are 122 and all the parts have matching numbers. I'd never even seem serail numbers on anything other thatn the frame before this one. Truly a masterpiece. Also appears to be 6-1/2" barrel.

mainiac
08-02-2012, 07:36 PM
sounds like a similar one i own. Mine is a target model,early 1900,s manufacture.It has the finest set of sights ive ever seen.I can just barely see the rear notch,and the front blade is very thin.

Almost useless sights to me.People must have had better eyes way back then.

Because of the sights,i dont shoot it much,but it will shoot 6 shot groups less then 2 inches,@25 yards,and has an action that is absolutely flawless.DA is so very smooth,never had a revolver with a action even close to this old girl.