PDA

View Full Version : shoot maker

05-07-2007, 09:36 AM
the littleton shoot maker is hard to find. has any one made one with a steel plate, angle iron heating element and a set of there nosles? sounds simple. does any one hace the littleton for sale?

Bodydoc447
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Magma engineering used to sell them. I don't know if they are still in production or not.

Doc

rmb721
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
They still list them. Littleton Shotmaker-Model 65 for $375.00.

05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
there seams to be a shortage and no one has any.

scrapcan
05-07-2007, 11:44 AM
It would be better to build it out of aluminum for the heat transfer properties. I have parts that are set aside to build one, I just have not purchased the nozzles yet.

If you look at a littleton it looks like an electric range element that is bolted to the bottom of the aluminum lead reservoir. If you build one make sure your nozzles drip at a 90 degree angle to the lip. I have tought you could use a piece of 1x1 angle with a flat plate bottom with strap edge in whatever shape you want. Fabbing up a stand would be easy.

On your coolant reservoir, use an overflow tube so you can displace the coolant and keep a steedy coolant level. By using the overflow tube it also makes it a much cleaner operation. Also put a drain in the bottom of the tank with a screen to stop shot but allow the coolant to drain. Or you get to go dipping.

If you build one take some pictures.

MakeMineA10mm
05-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Magma says the Littleton shotmaker is out-of-production for now. They are going to re-design it and then start manufacturing it again. No word on how long it will be though...

Mohillbilly
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I got a littleton but haven't fired it up yet.Yes it looks well made out of a stove/hotplate element,with an aluminum pan with holes for stainless bolts. The stainless bolts are large enough to be drilled out (hollow) . The head of the bolt is cross drilled with a small hole, to connect with the hollow.the bolt is held in the hole(in the side of the pan) with a stainless nut from the inside.The lead fills the hollow bolt and drips out the cross drilled hole.Bigger hole larger shot ,smaller hole smaller shot(there are limits to size).There is also an aluminum lip stick'n out the side of the pan below the drippers that your supposed to coat, by rubb'n a soapstone on , the idea is to create surface tension so that the lead balls up ( Like rain on a fresh waxed car hood)Then a 1/4 inch drop to the coolant to "freeze" it.The coolant determines how fast the lead freezes. Alcohol,water,oil, will vary the cooling rate.Brake fluid or detergent work as a start'n place.I figured I'd use brake fluid and could add alcohol (heat) to make it cool faster if the shot was tear drop shaped,and oil(mineral,baby,) if it was frosted/dimpled.

RayinNH
05-07-2007, 09:08 PM
686, check out the thread below, going on now in "Special Projects"...Ray

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=14917

duke76
05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
I have a shotmaker but it is not a Littleton, I have a James Stewart model and I think it is a superior machine compared to the Littleton and is also cheaper and easier to locate one, here is a link to my setup.

http://loesshillsarmory.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=210

05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
DUKE 76 what size shoot do you make? all i here is people making #8. i thought about #9 or maybe a set of each. what type of container do you drop into? do you use a wite basket to lift the shot out or drain colant out then pout out the shot? do you have a single or double unit? thanks again. I KNOW JUST LOOK UP TO YOUR POST. BRAIN NOT WORKING.

duke76
05-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I make 7and a half and 8 shot, I have a couple sets of drippers and I believe you can also make 9s. The kind o f lead you use has something to do with the size but so far I have only used wheelweights so I do not know what effect it does have but I came across 5500 pounds of soft lead so in the future I will find out. I drop the shot into a large ammo can. I drain the coolant out and pour the shot out. My unit is a single unit and can make around 40 pounds per hour. You should take a look at my link, pictures are worth a 1000 words.

3sixbits
05-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I've wanted to get in to making shot for sizes # 2 and # 4 for years and have yet to find any shot maker that will do this. Has anyone found equipment that makes these sizes? (coyotes need these sizes)

05-09-2007, 08:58 AM
3sixbits i do not think the type of shoot mkers ind. can buy will make that large, but if you get a shoot maker and make small size you can sell all them you make and them buy your # 2. i do that with cast bullets so i can buy jacked for my glock. i also am lthinking of getting a shoot maker. will sale enugh to pay for it the rest for me.

05-09-2007, 09:08 AM
duke76 you put a drain in the side ou bottom? did you pou a screan over it
? what do you wash off the oil with? i think i am ording one today. i may get all 3 sizes #9, #8 # 7 1/2. i would add some liontype to the soft lead. maybe 1-3 or 1-4 by weight. it looks like you may not of had yours long. if you find bugs lit me know. i like yout stand you made. i have a rolling cart i am thinking of using so i can pou it away when done. thanks

Scrounger
05-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Duke, if you can turn out some #12 shot, you can sell a lot of it here on the forum for snake loads. The places that sell it get $20 to $25 for 10 pounds plus shipping.

duke76
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I dont have a drain in the ammo can I just dip the oil out of it until it is down a ways and then pour the oil and shot through a colander and let it drain into a bucket. I wash the shot off in a solvent washer tank I leave the shot in the colander and run the solvent over the shot and then set it on a bedsheet over a pan and let it dry for a day and then graphite it if you want to. As to the 12 shot I havent been able to get shot that small I dont even know if it is possible but I will try and look into it. I am using wheelweights right now but am thinking about mixing them with soft lead to stretch out my supply. I dont think I want to waste my good linotype on shot if I dont have to.

3sixbits
05-09-2007, 12:51 PM
duke 76: where did you get your shotmaker from? I looked at a lot of the video's and would like to do a few thousands pounds. Where do you get shot bags from?

duke76
05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
My shotmaker is a James Stewart model. Here is a link to his information. I dont put the shot in shot bags I put them in oil jugs or laundry detergent jugs,

here is a link to James Stewart

http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My_page.html

3sixbits
05-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Thank you duke76. I called and talked to Jim a little bit ago. They are checking on shipping prices for a double for me here in Alaska. I watched all the viedos on that other web site, after talking to Jim I made-up my mind to buy his machine. http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=117255&messages=40

Netherwolf
05-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Duke, if you can turn out some #12 shot, you can sell a lot of it here on the forum for snake loads. The places that sell it get $20 to $25 for 10 pounds plus shipping.

You could also sell it to guys that compete in turkey shoots (some turkey shoots allow handloads for the "money" shots).

But I've read elsewhere on this site that a Federal manufacturers license is required in order to legally cast & sell individual projectiles. If that's the case, wouldn't the same hold true for making & selling shot? (Not trying to hijack a thread - just asking.)

Netherwolf

05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
duke 76 what do you think about using bull plate lube on the drip lip ? i have a single james stewert unit on order. what did you wind up using for your liqued?

duke76
05-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I am using the moly paste that Jim sends with his machine, I dont know if the bullplate would stay on there and you would have to reapply it constantly, The moly paste works well, also you can use soapstone on the lip. I drop my shot into hydraulic oil.