PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1894 Trapper problem

Shuz
08-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm looking for help in trying to repair my .44 mag Trapper. The gun is not feeding properly as a result of a broken part(s). The broken part I found must come from the carrier or cartridge guide areas, but I can't identify the part I have from the parts breakdown I have from Winchester. I have the gun stripped down so that the carrier and lever etc is all out, but I look up into the receiver where the cartridge guide should be and I don't see any broken part(s) The part that is broken definately appears to have snapped off as you can see where it did. My problem is that if this is a cartridge guide, there should be another one for the other side and yet both sides as I look up into the receiver look the same, with no broken off areas. What would really help would be a schematic that shows me what a cartidge guide looks like and how to replace them. There was a lot of sooty powder residue on the broken part, so I'm guessing it fits near the cartridge chamber area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks--Shuz

fecmech
08-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Shuz--Where's the pic??

Shuz
08-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I guess I shoulda included a pitchur, duh. Will try and upload one today.

AnthonyB
08-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Ray; there used to be some pretty good schematics on the Numrich website. I have one for the 94 Big Bore at home and can send a copy of that if needed.
Tony

AnthonyB
08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Just checked; there is a 94 Trapper schematic on their site.
Tony

AnthonyB
08-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Shuz; just sent a PM and e-mail.
Tony

AnthonyB
08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Shuz:
If you have the bolt and carrier out, I think you should only have three screws left in the receiver. You want to remove the one just above the loading port for the right cartridge guide, and the corresponding one on the other side for the left guide. There is a spring behind the left guide, try to see how it fits as you remove the guide. Hope this helps.
Tony

OBXPilgrim
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Looking my 94 44 mag over, it looks like it's got to be the ejector to me.

If you have it taken apart, it should have the ejector protruding from the bottom of the bolt at 6:00. See if yours is there.

softpoint
08-03-2012, 11:15 PM
I just went an looked ,I have a 94 "packer" in .44. Your picture looks like what is left of an ejector.[smilie=2:

Shuz
08-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Guys--My Trapper is an angle eject(AE) model. As I turn the bolt over, there is a slot, but no ejector. The extractor is on the side of the bolt. So it looks like an ejector is what's needed, but the Numrich arms site doesn't show a pichure of it in their parts list to be sure.

jblee10
08-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Here's a pic http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/winchester-94-parts/W94EJEC

Shuz
08-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Here's a pic http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/winchester-94-parts/W94EJEC

Thank you! That's what I need.........as well as the spring and pin.

fecmech
08-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Shuz--Call 1800 322 4626, that's browning parts dept. You can use the part nos. from the link above and order from browning. The ejector is about $6. and the spring is about $2. I just bought some for my .357 (different pn but same price) about 4 months ago. Get a couple because they are cast parts. Also make sure you deburr the hole it slides in so you don't break the new one real quick. Good luck.

Shuz
08-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I ordered the ejector,spring and pin today from Winchester. Costs were:$5.25, $1.50 and $1.50 and that totals to $8.25. Now get this.........shipping brought the total to $16.97!!! Well, I figgered I might as well order 2 ejectors and 2 springs. I'm sure I can salvage the roll pin each time I replace them. Total cost now $24.31 Thanks for all the help guys!--Shuz

fecmech
08-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Now get this.........shipping brought the total to $16.97!!!
That along with being a flimsy cast part was why I suggested getting a couple, I'm on my 3rd. You don't think Browning is using shipping as a profit center do you??

Shuz
08-06-2012, 08:11 PM
That is a bit ridiculous to charge more for the shipping than the parts when the parts are over $8.00. That's why I took your advice and doubled my order.

Shuz
08-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Well, thanks to all the help from you folks, I got the Trapper 44 mag back up and running again! My 3 grandson's got to shoot it yesterday at a shootin fest down at my range. Good time was had by all.
FWIW I could not get the ejector spring furnished by Winchester to fit in my rifle. I tried several times to fit that puppy in and then move the keeper pin, but it just kept flying out! Is there a special tool available to install this spring. Maybe like a rebound slide spring tool used on Smiths? The gun news is that I substituted a ball point pen spring that was just a mite larger in diameter but also a mite weaker in strength. Bottom line is the gun ejects fine. As an outgrowth of this experience...I had a real find. Whilst looking for the flying spring several times, I found nearly 2000 rounds of new .44 mag brass hidden under my workbench that I forgot that had!! Ain't life grand!