PDA

View Full Version : Small Tig) Welder?

Uncle45Auto
08-01-2012, 10:47 AM
For a long time I have been in need of welding tools for gunsmithing. Such as, welding broken spurs on hammers, building up parts for repair of sear notches, etc and so forth.

It has been suggested that I look for a small Tig welder. I'd like to keep my costs down, but nothing is more expensive than buying the wrong equipment.

What do you guys suggest?

trevj
08-01-2012, 11:46 AM
The new inverter TIG machines are getting pretty common and available.

For light duty use, you could probably live with a scratch start, DC only unit, which happen to be about the cheapest you can find. IIRC there are units out there starting at a couple hundred dollars.

Then you need a bottle of Argon shielding gas to go with, and a regulator, if it didn't come with the welder.

High Frequency start is really nice, but gonna cost you more money. AC operation, with full time High Frequency, is more still, and would be required if you were planning on learning to TIG weld aluminum.

It used to be said that if you needed to weld at low low amperage, you were better off with a larger machine, as they were more stable at the low settings, due to their transformer size. Dunno how that applies with the Inverter machines. May be best if you talk to some different sales guys and read some of the online forums.

If you are going to spend a fair chunk of money, try to spend it on a machine that you can get support for locally. For me, that pretty much boils down to meaning that I would buy a $200 welder from Harbor Freight or the like, and not be too upset if it fried after a year or so of use, where if I spent $2K on a welder, I want the maker to get on to fixing it or replacing it inside the next few years.

All the things I've heard read and seen of the 'combo' welder/plasma cutter rigs, have been that they are a crapshoot. The ones that work out the door, and stay working, are good, the ones that don't, well, .... It's a lot of money for a paperweight! They look like a bargain, up until that.

Take a good look at the major makers lines of products, Miller, Lincoln, and their like. If the risk of the small inverters from the import tool places looks bearable, look at them too.

Figure on at least a package of electrodes (sharpen them all, rather than having to keep pulling it out and going back to the grinder each time you touch the point down to the puddle), a grinder dedicated to only grinding electrodes, and a nice clean pair of gloves. An electric helmet is VERY useful, too!

Do up your shirt to the top when TIG welding, too. The arc burns you get on your throat are painful, and dangerous, and they are pretty common, as you will usually be working very close in, and there is not a lot of heat given off.

Best of luck. I've been eying up welders for a while. I think the EconoTIG is a pretty good machine for my needs, but have not yet pulled the trigger on it. So maybe not so much 'needs', eh? :D

Cheers
Trev

Clark
08-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I put $2K or $3K into a TIG set up.
It was not like a mill or lathe with fast learning curve.
Years later, I am still a lousy TIG welder.

mainiac
08-01-2012, 08:47 PM
All ya need to tig weld with,is a plain jane dc welder.You do need to use straight polarity,thats all there is to it.Just buy a tig torch,and a bottle of gas,and get at it!

If you want to get fancy,and spend some serious money,there is some wonderful machines out there,sky is the limit.

frankenfab
08-01-2012, 09:13 PM
I bought an older version of this:
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/product.php?model=M00152
10 years ago for $954.00. I have been really happy with it, but I haven't used it every day or anything. Mine is a Maxstar 140, runs on both 120/230, can use a foot pedal, which I don't have. It's also a stick machine, and has a shoulder strap. It's that small and light.

docone31
08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
This is my rig.
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/PUK-2-precision-welder.htm
I can even retip on emeralds without removing the stone.

frankenfab
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
This is my rig.
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/PUK-2-precision-welder.htm
I can even retip on emeralds without removing the stone.

I got to see one of those laser welders in action the other day. Amazing!

docone31
08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I have one, and it revolutionized my repairs.
On ring repairs, I can tack the piece, then torch weld it. On prongs, I can fuse down repair wire.
It is quite the machine. I can literally repair items that other jewelers have turned down.
Eye glass frames, fuse stainless steel bracelet pins. I can even fuse, and then close the weld hole so I can finish it up.
I do not like the smell of the Argon.
When you touch the tip, the gas starts, then the count down to fire. The shield is in line with the welder and automically goes black.
On regular repairs, you do need to touch up with a torch. On filling, the weld is strong enough.
Well worth the price we paid.

Ed K
08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Bought a beast of an older Lincoln stick welder that has full TIG capability on the cheap. Not the best for aluminum but my TIG interest is primarily steel anyways. These are now really considered "don't wants" because of the size and efficiency of the inverters but they are very reliable and were pro-quality 20 years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/cmqxlma

DCM
08-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I would very strongly advise against buying anything from everlast, should be NEVERLAST.

W.R.Buchanan
08-05-2012, 04:10 AM
If you look around where you live there is probably someone who repairs welding machines. You find out who he is by asking at the welding supply companies. He will more than likely have a used machne you can buy for pennys on the dollar.

This is a place where second hand is better than second rate. Miller, Lincoln, Linde. I paid $1250 for my Linde 20 years ago and it fires up everytime I flip the switch. I have seen Miller 250 HF's for $300 with the regulator, Weldcraft torch and everything. You need about 50 amps of 220 single phase to power it but a normal dryer circuit would still run it, you just won't be welding Aluminum .

Randy

bearcove
08-05-2012, 10:28 PM
All ya need to tig weld with,is a plain jane dc welder.You do need to use straight polarity,thats all there is to it.Just buy a tig torch,and a bottle of gas,and get at it!

If you want to get fancy,and spend some serious money,there is some wonderful machines out there,sky is the limit.

What he said.

paul h
08-06-2012, 01:39 PM
The issue with tig, and electric welders in general is that when it comes to welding small parts you need a welder that has arc control at low current. Unfortunately to get good low current control the welders are not cheap.

You'll probably be better off with an oxy/acetyline setup and a micro torch rather than going with a tig unit, unless you're willing to drop $3-4k on a tig setup.

Uncle45Auto
08-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Thank you for the tips. I liked the tig for jewelry work, but it appears to be a little more costly than I can swing right now. The Miller looks good. I'll see what I can find.