PDA

View Full Version : need a bullet for bear and moose hunting

baikal1
07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Hey all I'm looking for some advise. I have a double rifle in 4570 and its very accurate with remington express 405gr jsp but at $70 a box I don't shoot it much. I'm looking at buying some hard cast bullets but I need some advise. Ideally I'd like to load no less then 405gr at about 1600 to maybe 1700fps
I've looked at the bullet barn site and they sell a variety of hardcast bullets

What would be best single double or triple lube groove? Beveled base or gas checked?

Eventually ill cast my own but with bear season not far off I plan to buy several hundred pre cast bullets.
I know I want a large flat meplate and I want to be able to smash thru both shoulders of a bear black bear and moose
I have lyman 49th and lman 3rd ed cast as well as lee modern manual and have lots of varget on hand

How much difference is there loading cast from jacketed bullets. Thanks for any tips and info!

joec
07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
I will be buying some from Oregon Trail http://www.laser-cast.com/45Cal.html and also look at the also look at the trueshot bullets as they have a 45-70 Cal. 430g FP GC .459. It might be what you are looking for.

runfiverun
07-31-2012, 11:39 PM
flat nose/gas check and a bhn of 12-15 will do what you want.
i'd also look for a 460 diameter.

btw the term "hard cast" refers to there being antimony in the alloy.
there could be 1% or 20% antimony makes the alloy brittle [less malleable]
an alloy balanced with tin works better than a high antimony alloy alone.

MT Chambers
07-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Canadians may be interested in the heavy hitters of up to 555grs. including most LBT designs, from M.T. Chambers Supply, designs from 325gr. and up, and yes you prolly want a bullet with a gas check and very wide meplat, and i would stay away from bevel base designs. Most production cast bullets are made too hard which won't allow expansion, and may be brittle and shatter on heavy bone.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-01-2012, 01:22 AM
I took my SS Wickliffe actioned rifle in 45-120 to Africa in April/May for two weeks. I do not see much better in the way of boolits than the old 457125 in the gas checked version. I loaded mine to about 1970fps and shot clean thru two zebra at 125yds. The boolit may still be going for all we know.

Rich
Sua Sponte

sharps4590
08-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I've been shooting and loading for double rifles for a couple decades, won't some of your bullet weight and choice be decided by what will regulate in the rifle?

For hunting I prefer those bullets with a fairly wide meplat and as heavy as the rifle will regulate. I will have to agree with runfiverun about the alloy. I believe a bullet not quite so hard as what is considered "hard cast" is the better hunting bullet. If the rifle will shoot it I really like a 1-25 alloy. I have a rifle that doesn't like softer bullets and I suppose I will have to learn to paper patch for it.

If your rifle will regulate with the 457125 Idaho Sharpshooter mentioned, I don't know if you can do much better, it's a dandy. I prefer something other than the round nose of the 457125 for hunting, but man, has that been a good 45 cal. bullet for me for accuracy!

Plinkster
08-01-2012, 07:44 AM
I took my SS Wickliffe actioned rifle in 45-120 to Africa in April/May for two weeks. I do not see much better in the way of boolits than the old 457125 in the gas checked version. I loaded mine to about 1970fps and shot clean thru two zebra at 125yds. The boolit may still be going for all we know.

Rich
Sua Sponte

That was two Zebra standing end to end and a Texas heart shot correct? Man alive! How many yards behind you was your should when you found it? I'm not familiar with that type of rifle but hopefully it's heavy! Congrats on the trophies

elk hunter
08-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm not familiar with any other commercial cast bullets, but I've put 500 of the Oregon Trail Laser-cast 350 grain flat points through my 500-450 double and couldn't ask for better accuracy, but they probably wouldn't expand on anything less than a steel plate. They are HARD, but with a large flat nose they really don't have to expand. I only shot one deer with them and it went straight down. I think Oregon Trail makes other weights in 45 caliber, I just haven't tried them.

four70nitro
08-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I'd recommend against the Lazercast bullets -- I've worked with them in my Ruger No. 1 and in my son's Sharps and they work okay so long as you keep the velocities at about 1200 fps and below. If you try to push them at all they are all over the place and at the velocities you mentioned (1600-1700 fps) I couldn't keep more than 2 or 3 out of every five on the target at 100 yards.

I've had good luck with bullets from www.montanabulletworks.com in my .475 Linebaugh and he makes a nice selection of .45 bullets that should suit your needs. (http://www.montanabulletworks.com/BB_45_caliber.html)

Dave

onesonek
08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
[/COLOR]
Hey all I'm looking for some advise. I have a double rifle in 4570 and its very accurate with remington express 405gr jsp but at $70 a box I don't shoot it much. I'm looking at buying some hard cast bullets but I need some advise. Ideally I'd like to load no less then 405gr at about 1600 to maybe 1700fps

I think your on the right path in that 16-1700 fps range with a 405, or a bit heavier.

I've looked at the bullet barn site and they sell a variety of hardcast bullets

Most commercial outfits sell "hardcast", not because they perform better, but due not getting all beat up in shipping.

What would be best single double or triple lube groove? Beveled base or gas checked?

I would stay with gas checked myself. Not that is always true or the case, but I just feel GC'd boolits have the potential for better accuracy, in having a consistent base, should your cast not be perfect in that area. They also protect the base when loading into a tightly sized case.
But I would also get a M-Die made, to come close to your dimensions needed.

Eventually ill cast my own but with bear season not far off I plan to buy several hundred pre cast bullets.
I know I want a large flat meplate and I want to be able to smash thru both shoulders of a bear black bear and moose

IMO, perhaps one of the best mold makers at reasonable price, is Tom at Accurate Molds. This 405 would serve you well dropping at .460 as RunFiveRun suggested.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-405R-D.png

Then too with moose being mentioned, I would even go a tad heavier, and go with this one,,,

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-430V-D.png

I have lyman 49th and lman 3rd ed cast as well as lee modern manual and have lots of varget on hand

How much difference is there loading cast from jacketed bullets. Thanks for any tips and info!

There is volumes of info on the forum that will answer many of your question's. I would suggest reading most of the stickies and links that pertain.

nanuk
08-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Canadians may be interested in the heavy hitters of up to 555grs. including most LBT designs, from M.T. Chambers Supply, designs from 325gr. and up, and yes you prolly want a bullet with a gas check and very wide meplat, and i would stay away from bevel base designs. Most production cast bullets are made too hard which won't allow expansion, and may be brittle and shatter on heavy bone.

I've not met you Ben, but Sir, I know others who have done business, and they all agree, Fair, Upstanding, and easy to deal with.

thanks for providing the service.

BRobertson
08-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Having killed both moose and bear(grizzly/brown) with them , although with a

.44 revolver, I can highly recommend the LBT designs!!

With the large meplat, I don't need or want expansion!!

It leaves a quarter sized hole all the way thru, regardless of angle!!

I am sure they will work just as well from a large caliber rifle!!!!

Bob

44-40
08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I shoot this bullet and like it a lot. It is very hard. 405 gr. RNFP(.459), Buffalo bullet - brindell 18, from Missouri Bullets – Resized to .458 and re-lubed with ALOX or homemade: 1 part Mutton Tallow; 1 part Paraffin; 1/2 part Beeswax.

Phil

baikal1
08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=sharps4590;1796678]I've been shooting and loading for double rifles for a couple decades, won't some of your bullet weight and choice be decided by what will regulate in the rifle?

For hunting I prefer those bullets with a fairly wide meplat and as heavy as the rifle will regulate. I will have to agree with runfiverun about the alloy. I believe a bullet not quite so hard as what is considered "hard cast" is the better hunting bullet. If the rifle will shoot it I really like a 1-25 alloy.

Thank you for the reply. However my rifle is regulated for 405gr jacketed bullets but it has adjustable regulation via jack screws. It seems to work very well and I use a 2.5x20 scope so I don't have to file my sights. I hunt black bears in mid to late september in thick bush so I was thinking hardcast to ensure complete penetration if it doesn't drop in its tracks I want blood coming from 2 holes. I'm new to the cast bullets. I've been casting 12ga slugs of lead found on electric wire. Its very soft and does a great job on whitetails. I'm canadian so most US companies won't send me bullets due to export laws. The bullets sold at the bullet barn are of 25 brindle hardness. I take it that's a little to hard for my intended purpose. With a softer bullet I'd get more expansion which would be nice. The commonly sold cowboy action bullets 420gr rnfp with a gc would these be to soft for deep penetration?
Also MT chambers do you have a website? I tried googling and get lots of comments about your bullets but no clickable link to a website. I don't have enough posts to buy from this site but if you had a website I'd like to check it out as it seems you could provide what I need

Thank you for all replies thus far

oneokie
08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't have enough posts to buy from this site
Thank you for all replies thus far

There are no restrictions on buying items, only selling.

MT Chambers
08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
From here on in I get real busy 'til hunting season, alot of Canadians have taken to the 45/70 and heavy flat point bullets for big and dangerous game. I second the recommendation of Tom at Accurate molds for folks wanting to roll their own, he has made up a couple of mold designs at my urging including a 555grain LFN GC which takes no prisoners.