PDA

View Full Version : Boogled my barrel

EWOK
05-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Was trying a different load in my RV 45LC, 250 swc, 10 gr Unique, had a misfire, stop ejected full round only prime hit, figured bad primer, next cylinder all fine, next cylinder, another misfire, ejected full round with prime hit, must be some bad primers, next cylinder another miss fire this time didn't stop, just cocked hammer and fired another round. Kicked out empties and no full round with bad primer, loaded another cylinder, had another misfire, this time I stop and kick out an empty, look in the barrel and there is a stuck boolit and also a pretty little bugle midway the barrel, guess I'm luck I still have all my fingers, put everything away and haven't touched my guns for 3 weeks now, still thinking it over.

44man
05-07-2007, 07:34 AM
OUCH, could you tell us the primers, how they were stored, how old? How deep were the primer strikes on the one's that didn't fire?
It is very strange that Unique didn't light off. I can't blame the powder because some did fire, unless moisture got in some of the cases.
Give us a lot more info, someone can figure it out. Need every detail.

Bret4207
05-07-2007, 07:39 AM
The good news is Ruger barrels are cheap and screwing one in ain't real expensive. Thank goodness that design is real stout! Live and learn.

EWOK
05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
44Man, I wiped down the pistol, put it in the safe, locked the door on the gunroom and haven't been back, disgusted with myself more than anything else, believe the primers did fire as the cylinder was hard to turn on the ones that didn't fire the bullets out so the primers must have backed out which leaves me with no powder in the case. These were loaded on my 550b that I've loaded thousands of rounds on with no problems but I'm going to look there first, maybe a clog of powder, something in the powder, paper, spider web, who knows but it's got me spooked now so a detailed investigation will follow.

Lloyd Smale
05-07-2007, 08:25 AM
I would guess it was a powder charge problem rather then a primmer problem. I find its pretty rare that a bullet will leave the case on a crimped 44 or 45 with just a primmer going off. Usually its a squib load that does it. As a matter of fact ive had ammo that didnt have powder in them that missfired and the primer went off and you couldnt even tell by the sound that the primmer even fired. Ive had couple close calls myself with da guns shooting fast. By the grace of god ive allways been able to stop in time. Dont feel bad i had a buddy last year bulge the barrel on his 3000 dollar nighthawk 1911 doing the same thing.

Bass Ackward
05-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Outside of what you guys mention. Could be a gun specific problem too. That's why I like no to very little endplay in my guns, tighter headspace means bigger dent in the primer.

Easy to tell if this is the cause. Try and move the cylinder back and forth in the cylinder window. I am not talking side to side around the pin, but forward and backward, if you have movement, this could be the problem.

targetshootr
05-07-2007, 07:18 PM
When I started using a 650 I managed to leave the old primer in some 357 brass and managed to insert a new primer on top of it but it never caused a boolit to exit the case. Rule of thumb: look everywhere when something unusual happens, specially the barrel.

slughammer
05-07-2007, 07:27 PM
To me it sounds like powder contamination. Do you leave your powder in the measure between loading sessions? Many people do successfully, but I've seen on two seperate cases the exact squib scenario you are talking about.

Pull the misfire boolits and look for powder in the cases.

Driller640
05-08-2007, 03:52 AM
I have had a lead bullet stick in the barrel of my 1911. I knew something was wrong, gun only went pop and the slide didn't move. Racked the slide, case flew out, picked another round out of the mag and it wouldn't chamber all the way eh. Primer had just enought power to lodge bullet in the barrel. Had to use a dowel to knock out bullet, my fault, didn't put powder in case. Changed my procedure after that, don't like to think my hobbie would hurt me, but the Lord looks after fools even when they reload. To bad about your Ruger, at least U are able to shoot another day, even if it doesn't eh.

44man
05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
It sounds like a loading machine problem. You are either getting squib loads when powder bridges, no powder in some cases and hot loads in the next which is also dangerous. Yes, a primer can move a boolit into the rifling, maybe not all the time, but it happens. My friend blew up his Ruger .41 by the primer driving a boolit into the rifling and firing another behind it. He was loading one round at a time instead of using a block. He got distracted and forgot to charge a case.
The loading block and looking into every charged case is the safest way to load.

Mohillbilly
05-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I bulged a .45 blkhwk barrel(7 1/2) behind the front sight, when I mixed a made up dummy(with a live primer no powder) during a 5 shot timed string...... I'd look at the powder delivery.I too clean out the powder measure on my 550 from time to time to keep things work'n right. I don't make any more "live" dummys for check'n overal lenght.......back then it cost $125 for the barrel and about $40 shipp'n and 2-3 months wait.........My you should have seen all the warn'n tags and stickers when I got it back.......

rhead
05-12-2007, 06:46 AM
If I understood your description correctly there was one,and ONLY one misfire per cylinder full on 4 out of 5 sets. (that would be outside the statistical norm for one failure in six)Were all the misfires from the same chamber? One out of six misfiring 80% of the time has to bring up the question of a slightly deep headspace matched with a lot of brass with thin rims. Throw in the possibility of a lot of short primers and you can get misfires with every individual component in spec.
Just one more idea into the mix. Glad no one was hurt.