PDA

View Full Version : My lee pro 1000

rmatchell
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
So does anybody else love to hate the lee pro 1000. I got my first one as a gift and I be I spent at least 2 month tweaking it to make it run. My second one was used and cheap from Grafs. Still not sure why I bought it maybe because of the problem I posted about before.

joec
07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
So does anybody else love to hate the lee pro 1000. I got my first one as a gift and I be I spent at least 2 month tweaking it to make it run. My second one was used and cheap from Grafs. Still not sure why I bought it maybe because of the problem I posted about before.

Lee Pro 1000 was the first press I owned. I actually bought two one setup for 38/357 the other for 45 Colt off someone in a bad situation. Long story short I setup the 45 Colt after watching a bunch of videos by Cowboy T following his instructions. It work great even with black powder for me but still wanted a Lee Classic Turret and sold the second press compete with dies etc. to buy it. Now after using the Lee Classic Turret a while it confirmed my belief that the progressive presses are really over kill for my needs. With that said I've since sold my 45 ACP and 9mm full carrier setups also but kept the dies. I never had a problem and made close to a 500 rounds of BP 45 Colt, 500 rounds of trailboss loaded loads for 45 Colt. I never had a single problem with anything on the presses as I used Cowboy T quick cleaning methods after the 1000 rounds as it would be a while before I loaded more. If I had a need to make that much ammo that quickly I would get another one in a heart beat but the Lee Classic makes ammo at a comfortable pace and is faster to change calibers quickly. It can't produce as fast as the Lee Pro 1000 though. So I would say I liked mine a lot but really wasn't meant for an absolute beginner like me or someone that will load a 100 rounds or so at a time.

rmatchell
07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
My only real complaint is the primer feed, the rest of the issues worked out with practice.

joec
07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
My only real complaint is the primer feed, the rest of the issues worked out with practice.

I just cleaned mine and never had a problem with primer feeding but will admit I did only 1000 rounds on mine.

Flyperk
08-01-2012, 11:23 AM
I have used the Lee Pro 1000 for several years. I am truely a RCBS man but I also own 3 of the Lee presses. I load 9mm, 40, and 45acp on the Lee presses and have more than 20k on each. I shot competative for several years and was looking for quality and speed, this press gives you speed with a little trade off of quality. I own one Dillon 550B and 3 RCBS Ammo Masters that are no longer made by RCBS. I find that larger production of rifle and higher quality can be done with the Dillon and RCBS but it take quite a bit longer to change calibers and re-time.

Bill*
08-01-2012, 12:30 PM
A shot of compressed air all over (and a Q-tip down the primer trough) now and again and I don't have any problems. I like mine a lot.

Moonie
08-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I liked the one I had years ago that I recently got a used one from another member here and will be reconditioning it this weekend.

It is recommended to keep the priming system clean by thoroughly cleaning it out occasionally. I never had priming issues with my old one, the Loadmaster I currently have? That's a horse of a different color.

geargnasher
08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
THERE! I fixed it! :redneck:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094ff7d6cc7c107.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5808)

Gear

Cowboy T
08-01-2012, 03:29 PM
THERE! I fixed it! :redneck:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094ff7d6cc7c107.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5808)

Gear

Hey Gear, is that a Photoshop or did you really put the Pro 1000's parts on a Classic Turret frame?

troyboy
08-01-2012, 03:57 PM
It isn't photo shop. He did it a few months back.

fryboy
08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
yup he did done it ( and i like it !!!!!!! lolz )

umm i love the pro- 1000 if i could afford to donate a classic cast turret i'd try to copy gear's !!! that cast iron base has to rock ( maybe next year if i'm lucky and sell some blood or something lolz ) i have 3 pro-1000's and i'd give up my loadmaster before i gave up any of them

Longwood
08-01-2012, 05:11 PM
yup he did done it ( and i like it !!!!!!! lolz )

umm i love the pro- 1000 if i could afford to donate a classic cast turret i'd try to copy gear's !!! that cast iron base has to rock ( maybe next year if i'm lucky and sell some blood or something lolz ) i have 3 pro-1000's and i'd give up my loadmaster before i gave up any of them

I have seen neither the Classic press or the Pro 1000.
What is the attraction to the Pro 1000?

rmatchell
08-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Right now I can make mine feed untill the last 20 or so primers then it stops feeding. Im trying to make something to push them through.

fryboy
08-02-2012, 02:05 AM
ummm i have a magnetic personality so it must be the 3 steel risers and the steel ram :kidding:

i dont know amigo other than for me it works and works well , it can really crank out some ammo and is about 90 times easier and also quicker for me to set up than the dillon i parted ways with long ago , it is pretty simple in my humble opinion but to be fair i didnt compound it with the addition of a bullet feed die system , i load about everything shorter than the 223 on it and if they made a #3 shell plate i have a couple of wildcats i'd also load on it

i'd like to say that in it's price range it's the best progressive on the market but in truth it's the only progressive in that price range , i hear alot of folks cuss them out yet i fail to see why ( being as all of them i ever had has worked and worked well )
and speaking of price range ... from this po'boy's perspective i have yet to pay retail for one as those people who just cant seem to make them work usually sell them for cheap ( they should try to "let" it work as opposed to "MAKE IT " work IMHO ) the last one i bought i gave $35 for and was mostly complete sans dies and honestly ? i wouldnt sell it for double that price ( but i seem to be the exception to the rule ... [shrugz]

Longwood
08-02-2012, 02:19 AM
i'd like to say that in it's price range it's the best progressive on the market

Thanks Fryboy.
Does it automatically progress or is that operation a manual one?

fryboy
08-02-2012, 02:33 AM
auto , some state that the 3 die plate is a short coming vs. a 4 holer ..perhaps ... judicious setting of crimp and seating is required and if they made a 4 hole version i'd have to try it ( in fact i wanna !!! now if they'd just do it lolz ) in my opinion it's a lot sweeter press than the loadmaster but the load master has 5 stations and you can run a factory crimp die or a powder check die if desired , i think part of the pro-1000's appeal is it's simplicity

geargnasher
08-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Hey Gear, is that a Photoshop or did you really put the Pro 1000's parts on a Classic Turret frame?

It's the real deal, about a thousand percent improvement. 3/8" more total stroke so there's more working room and you can get a better visual on powder in cases before placing a boolit, and the Classic Turret frame s solid as it gets, so all the flexing and vibrating is eliminated, just smooth, controlled function. I've used several Dillons and I wouldn't trade this little jewel for any of them.

Note the flange nuts I used for spacers to raist the turret plate up. The stack of nuts atop the forward pillar are because I didn't have a bolt the right length at the time for that particular place, one of these days when I remember I'll pick up the right bolt in town and fix that.

On the other side of the bench I have three other Pro-1000s dedicated to certain calibers or shellplate groups (one for .45 ACP, one for .38/.357 with a dedicated, loaded turret for each, a .44 Mag/45 Colt (which got the Classic conversion in the pics), and a .38 Super/.40 S&W which also has dedicated, pre-set turrets that easily swap out. I haven't changed a shellplate or primer chutes in ages.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094ff895d8f2693.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5821)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094ff8962fd6c3d.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5823)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094ff8960b8217b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5822)

Longwood
08-02-2012, 03:34 AM
auto , some state that the 3 die plate is a short coming vs. a 4 holer ..perhaps ... judicious setting of crimp and seating is required and if they made a 4 hole version i'd have to try it ( in fact i wanna !!! now if they'd just do it lolz ) in my opinion it's a lot sweeter press than the loadmaster but the load master has 5 stations and you can run a factory crimp die or a powder check die if desired , i think part of the pro-1000's appeal is it's simplicity

Thanks again.
Gears modification sure seems like the way to go with those little presses.
I was on three Lee equipment sites since I asked the question so I see how they are made now.
I bought a Loadmaster last year that I finally got to working like I want it to work.
I did away with all of the troublesome stuff, did a small amount of modifying, and now I can load all day with nary a hitch. i can easily turn out more than 200 an hour so I am more than pleased.
I see that Titan sells the Loadmaster for $141 so I may get another one and sell off the other presses that I just bought.
If I had only worked on the Loadmaster before I bought them,,,, :groner:
Oh well.... It is all for fun.... Right?:p

Longwood
08-02-2012, 03:39 AM
It's the real deal, about a thousand percent improvement.

Pretty slick fella.

rodsvet
08-02-2012, 07:33 PM
The Dillon products have their problems too. I had a 1000 years ago when they first came out. It worked OK for what it was once you understood it. I have a Dillon 650 that I bought years ago when they first came out. It hasn't been much better. The warranty is good and they keep sending me replacement parts as they break. I've replaced almost every part over the years and some multiple times. They should make the part that pushes the casing into the shell plate out of aluminum and remove the groove in the locator that is for high primers. Dillon should fire the guy who thought plastic was the best material. Sorry to rant but Dillon products are over priced and not as well engineered as the advertisements make out.

Miata Mike
08-02-2012, 11:28 PM
I like my 2 Pro1000's and wish I could find a couple more for a song. I would like to leave them dedicated to my favorite loads.

Gliden07
08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
How did you mount the Shell Plate Carrier to mount? That Ram looks a lot bigger?

ipijohn
08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Right now I can make mine feed untill the last 20 or so primers then it stops feeding. Im trying to make something to push them through.

I solved the primer feeding issue with a $10 aquarium pump that I clamped to the chute with the output tube between it and the chute. It vibrates the feeder mechanism and the air blows the primers into position in the loader. The air jet also blows any powder away that may escape the powder measure.

geargnasher
08-04-2012, 12:15 AM
As long as the chute is full I've never had a problem, gravity does just fine. I run the primers down to four of five past the top of the chute before I pull the tray and refill, it keeps me from having to dig primers out of the chute mouth before putting the full tray back in. A trick I have used that I didn't really find necessary but may help some of you is to put a strip of Scotch tape over the top of the chute to keep stray powder flakes out of it.

Gear

rmatchell
08-04-2012, 01:02 AM
I use a tray from a RCBS hand priming tool, Its nice to be able to open and close at will.

Gliden07
08-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I solved the primer feeding issue with a $10 aquarium pump that I clamped to the chute with the output tube between it and the chute. It vibrates the feeder mechanism and the air blows the primers into position in the loader. The air jet also blows any powder away that may escape the powder measure.

Could you post a picture of that set up sounds interesting? I saw a Guy on You Tube that used an old buzzer from a cell phone. Looked like it worked pretty good!

Longwood
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Could you post a picture of that set up sounds interesting? I saw a Guy on You Tube that used an old buzzer from a cell phone. Looked like it worked pretty good!

After hearing about the cell phone motor trick, I went to the Verizon store and asked if he had any old phones with the motors to use for reloading bullets.
I left with a handfull of free phones.
The motors are made in several ways and some will work better for this than others.
Some are very simple to mount onto something.
A tiny square of aluminum tape was all it took for me to mount one to another experiment I was doing. A dab of hot glue would work also.
Hot glue also works great as an insulator on small electrical connections. or as a way to form a plastic housing for items like LED's so they can be used on projects.
Many of the things people are tossing (copiers and printer are good) have little gears, shafts belts, micro switches and other handy little parts for tinkerers. The scrap recyclers usually have a bin for the stuff that you can look through.

Recluse
08-04-2012, 07:36 PM
A Pro1000 was my first progressive, and it was an experience.

Of all the things I learned about that press, the following are the most important:

1. It must be mounted on a solid, steady, unmovable surface to work properly consistently. When I finally mounted it to a bench that was two inches thick and weighed as much as my pickup truck, a LOT of the nagging problems instantly went away--including primer problems.

2. Have replacement parts. This press eats gears if you change calibers/shellplates frequently.

3. Once you get the timing set, leave it alone. If you want to load different calibers on a Pro1000, invest in separate shellplate carriers. If you insist on changing shellplates only, you're going to have problems and you will swear often and loud.

4. Clean and wax the primer trough, removing any burrs. When you can run a soft-cotton fibre cloth down the chute with zero snags or even hesitations, your primer problems are pretty much over.

5. I strongly prefer to disc system as to the perfect powder measure on this press. I love, love, love and love some more my perfect powder measure--but I use it as a stand alone component for single-stage loading.

6. The case-collator is the best ten bucks you can spend on this press.

Speaking of case feeding. . . THIS is an area where I'm really puzzled why Lee can engineer a foolproof case feeder system that costs less than thirty bucks when Dillon can't seem to do it without a motor and $250.

My second progressive was a Dillon 550 and it took some getting used to having to manually index the shellplate myself and manually place the brass in the holder. Next Dillon will be a 650 with their $250 case carrier, but knowing me, I'll probably grumble and gripe about how much the whole stinking setup costs. . . But I'm just used to pulling the handle, placing a boolit in the charged case, pulling the handle, placing a boolit in the charged case, pulling the--

I paid $99 dollars for my original Pro1000 back in '88. I've gotten my money's worth many times over.

Would I buy another one?

Hell. No.

:coffee:

Elkins45
08-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Have any of you guys seen this? I would love to see the details of his primer feed modification.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhOFUVaUy_E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Longwood
08-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Have any of you guys seen this? I would love to see the details of his primer feed modification.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhOFUVaUy_E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It is a RCBS primer feeder
Take note that he used one instead of a Lee feeders.

PS
Hornady sells the exact same type of powder measure actuator for $25 cheaper than RCBS. They can be easily modified to work on a Little Dandy also.

H.Callahan
08-07-2012, 02:16 PM
It is a RCBS primer feeder
Take note that he used one instead of a Lee feeders.
But, I don't think that the bracket/tube holder is a standard RCBS bracket, is it?

Longwood
08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
But, I don't think that the bracket/tube holder is a standard RCBS bracket, is it?

Good point.
I am a fabricator that looked at the idea and engineering. Something like a bracket can usually be done numerous ways, so it is not very important to me.
Ideas are always good though. Maybe enough of us asking for another video would be worth while. He is proud of his project and a sharing person, so I bet he will.

H.Callahan
08-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Being extremely tooling challenged, that is the first thing I look at. If it can be fabricated from common materials with (very) basic handtools without taking weeks to accomplish, to me it is viable. Otherwise it is a nice idea that I can't currently duplicate.

Frozone
08-07-2012, 03:45 PM

I LIKE This idea!!!!

I'm not sure I'll use the pump ON the press, I have a whole bunch of vibrator motors I've scavenged from cell phones - they work well, and are easy to mount with epoxy.

The air jet to move them into place sounds like a thing to try however.
I like the use of the air to clean as well.

Arkansas Stretch
08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
I have one in .223 I am gonna sell. Been working with it for 2 weeks and hate it. Anybody wants it let me know.

Moonie
08-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I have one in .223 I am gonna sell. Been working with it for 2 weeks and hate it. Anybody wants it let me know.

If I hadn't just gotten one I'd take it off your hands.

Cowboy T
08-08-2012, 05:28 PM

How much you want? PM me.

Arkansas Stretch
08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Cowboy T I just sold it today.