PDA

View Full Version : Price of Primers? Ack!

lcclower
07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
I just got home from the local Bass Pro, where a carton of Winchester LP primers was priced at 50 bucks.
Are primers going up again, it is an election year after all?

GabbyM
07-31-2012, 12:09 PM
WLP is $26 per 1000 at Powder valley and probably similar at most catalog stores.

Last time I visited a Bass Pro store all I ended up purchasing was a stocking cap. If that tells you anything. They probably sell most of those primers in 100 sleeves one or two at a time.

You should be able to buy primers over the counter at your local store for a bit over $30 plus tax.

Bad Water Bill
07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I NEVER shop BPS for reloading supplies. Their prices have been the highest and their determination of what quantity can be shipped under one HAZMAT fee is always way less than any other on line store.

Here is midway ---http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=primers

And midsouth---http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/searchMSS.asp?searchInfo=primers&GO.x=11&GO.y=11

Powder Valley----http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

and Cabela's---http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=primers&x=16&y=10&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

And last but the most expensive. ---BASS PRO SHOP
http://www.basspro.com/CCI-Standard-Primers/product/1202282/237197#chart

Also check out their HAZMAT info:twisted:

H.Callahan
07-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Recently, I have had to buy primers locally (when they have them) to the tune of about $45/1000. I am in a smaller town and there is only one place to get ANY reloading supplies, so that may have something to do with it.

Online is out due to the hazmat fee. I can't afford to buy them in enough quantity at one time that the fee doesn't become a major factor in the cost. I am hoping to get to a gun show in a few weeks located about 150 miles away to get some reasonable priced primers. The local gun shows are basically the same dozen guys trying to sell a couple of handfuls of clunker guns at museum prices.

Moonman
07-31-2012, 05:42 PM
I was at LGS the other day, $30 plus Tax.

DHurtig
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Callahan, I don't think I've ever seen anything at a reasonable price at a gun show. Around here shopping at a gun show is like shopping on Ebay. Good luck anyway. Dale

David2011
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Seems like I paid $3.1.50/K for Large Rifle at a Wal-Mart in West Texas a couple of weeks ago. I wish all Wal-Marts carried reloading supplies.

David

JeffinNZ
07-31-2012, 06:12 PM
I bought 1000 Rem LR at the gun show the other for USD48 and was very happy.

sargenv
07-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Sometimes the various online retailers will offer reloading components sans hazmat or shipping. It would behoove you to get on their email list so that you can find out when this is.

geargnasher
07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Somebody's got to pay for all that extravagance, staff, and electricity. I think it took around $20 million to build the one here.

I was in Bass Pro a few weeks ago and all I bought was a box of 16-gauge shells for ten bucks. Everything in the gun Dept. was about 20% more than Midway, Midsouth, or Grafs. I can buy stuff locally at my hometown hardware store for those prices. A pound of Unique was $24, in the store. Tax and shipping usually equal out so I mail order from out of state and split hazmat with friends when buying primers/powder, and only do so in quantity.

Gear

gbrown
07-31-2012, 08:46 PM
I found some TulAmmo Small Pistol Primers at Reliant (Houston Gun Collector's show?) last fall for $17.00. Problem is, it cost $10.00 gas, $10.00 parking and $8.00 entrance. Was this a bargain?. Sure, got to look at some guns, drool over some, and wonder why is all this other junk in here. Gander Mtn sells powder at $32.00 # for 2400. Primers are around $30.00/thousand. One of my friends orders Tula from a place and get a good discount (like 10,000 at a time) for him and others. I never got involved, as I had plenty. May get involved later.

gsdelong
07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Callahan,

Try Dunn's in Marion, iL if you ever get that far south.

nicholst55
07-31-2012, 08:53 PM
I recently paid $41 plus tax for 1K of small rifle primers - and they weren't even the flavor that I wanted! Then I bought some from a Marine who is PCSing for $25 per K. I can order them from Graf's, pay HAZMAT and shipping, and only be a couple bucks over what they cost locally!

williamwaco
07-31-2012, 09:03 PM
i never shop bps for reloading supplies. Their prices have been the highest and their determination of what quantity can be shipped under one hazmat fee is always way less than any other on line store.

Here is midway ---http://www.midwayusa.com/find?usersearchquery=primers

and midsouth---http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/searchmss.asp?searchinfo=primers&go.x=11&go.y=11

powder valley----http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

and cabela's---http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchform&n=0&fsch=true&ntk=allproducts&ntt=primers&x=16&y=10&wtz_l=header%3bsearch-all+products

and last but the most expensive. ---bass pro shop
http://www.basspro.com/cci-standard-primers/product/1202282/237197#chart

also check out their hazmat info:twisted:

ditto!

500Smith
07-31-2012, 09:03 PM
$29.99/K for CCI LR last week at Cabale's.

BoolitSchuuter
07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
I was at Dunn's in Pevely, MO this morning. They had PMC small rifle magnum primers for 19.95 per 1K. They are the "Environmentally friendly" primers.

Rockydog
07-31-2012, 09:20 PM
The Gander stores in Wisconsin have dropped 95% of their reloading stuff. I bought a batch at 50% off closeout prices. I stopped and told the manager that I no longer have a reason to shop there. Then they cancelled 3 NRA Meetings being held in meeting rooms in their stores support of Wisconsin Concealed Carry. The reason for cancellation? Threats by anti gunners not to shop in their stores. Many of my friends are boycotting them as am I. I used to spend $500-1000 a year there on clothing, reloading components, scope mounts, etc. Not a dime since Feb. this year. Their parking lot here is pretty bare most weekends. RD

David2011
07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Local prices where I live are $50/K for primers and $35-$40/lb for powder. 2K of primers or 2 pounds of powder is the break-even even with hazmat and shipping.

David

Lead Freak
07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
My rifle & pistol club, here in Jacksonville, consistantly keeps prices reasonable on primers and powder. Win small pistol are $30.

375RUGER
07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
avg of $30/k here

pergoman
07-31-2012, 10:03 PM
My philosophy at gun shows is to only buy things which are priced lower than our local suppliers. I "force" myself to buy enough so that the savings offset the gas, parking, and admission costs. That way I can drool over the guns for free. When I found Wolf LPM and SR primers for $16 you better believe I bought several cases.

429421Cowboy
08-01-2012, 12:54 AM
$33/1k for CCI LP's in town here which are all i use, and usually the same price for LR and LRM primers. I usually wait for the bag sale at our local farm store for 15% off and buy components. Can't buy ammo at the sale but they never said powder, primers and rifle bullets are a no go so i keep stocking up as they have a sale.

Sad to say in this election year people are bound to get silly so as i get enough money for a brick of primers or pound of powder i keep buying them because if something happens to cause panic i don't want to have to stop shooting at the same rate we do now until the supply settles out again.

paul h
08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I think I paid $36/1000 last time I got a couple boxes of sp primers at the local gunshop. Primers were running ~$45/1000 after the 2008 post election shortage.

StratsMan
08-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Wow... Time for me to count my blessings... At the local gun show 2 weeks ago, I didn't pay admission 'cuz I helped at a dealer table (Exhibitor badge), there's no charge for parking, and I got Tula Small Pistol primers for $21/K from an out-of-state ammo dealer and no tax... Only bought 2K.. maybe I should've bought more...

Down South
08-03-2012, 11:43 PM
The only time that I ever buy any reloading supplies or anything else from Bass Pro is when I'm in a bind for something. There is a Bass Pro close to me.
Thinking back, I bought a pound of powder from them once to test a different load and a case trimmer part for a Lee case trimmer.
I buy my stock online in bulk which more than covers Hazmat, plus no sales tax.

nicholst55
08-04-2012, 12:11 AM
I paid $41 and change for 1K of CCI Small Rifle primers a couple of weeks ago, plus Arizona's exorbitant sales tax. I wanted Small Rifle Magnum primers, but there was nary a one (of any brand) to be had. Then a few days later I bought some from a Marine who is on PCS orders for $25 per K.

Powder was $25 a pound at the same store.

I can order 1K of primers from Graf, pay shipping and HAZMAT, and not be more than a buck or two over the local cost.

mongo
08-04-2012, 01:37 AM
I paid close to $40 for a box of CCI LP by me a month ago or so.. Finally broke the piggy bank and ordered from Powder Valley. $26 So thats $14 less per 1000, Plus add the high saled tax here in the land of liberals. Bought enough to last for a while, Its only going to get more expensive in the coming months.

GabbyM
08-04-2012, 03:10 AM
Just received an email advertisement tonight from Wideners. They still have Wolf SR for $16 per M. Probably have others also.

Been using Wolf LR and SR primers for a few years now with fantastic results in my cast bullet loads. Some loads in my 243 AI with Wolf LR and cast boolits have consistently turned in single digit E.S. over my Chrony. Have not tried them in either of my lever action guns. Some say they are hard cups, which would be bad for the hammer guns that do yield a light primer strike, and I’m still working through some old Federal standard primers I bought in the 1970’s for my 30-30 loads.

Not sure the nation has another ammo buying surge left in it. I know I’m all stocked up for a while.

GabbyM
08-04-2012, 03:37 AM
I paid close to $40 for a box of CCI LP by me a month ago or so.. Finally broke the piggy bank and ordered from Powder Valley. $26 So thats $14 less per 1000, Plus add the high saled tax here in the land of liberals. Bought enough to last for a while, Its only going to get more expensive in the coming months.

Wise move on your part.
After all it’s not like many of us will suddenly decide to stop shooting.
When I buy a car I figure to keep it twenty years. Can’t buy twenty years worth of fuel for it though as that would be dangerous. Plus fuel goes bad.

Leslie Sapp
08-04-2012, 06:02 AM
I paid 37.00 yesterday for CCI SR primers. I probably could get them cheaper online, but this shop is the only place within about 40 miles of me that carries any reloading supplies at all, so I don't mind supporting them.

fishnbob
08-04-2012, 06:54 AM
I just got the Friday flyer from Widener's and they have Wolf Small Rifle Magnum for $16.00 a K. That's as cheap as I have seen them. Buy in bulk, like 10K and pay the hazmat, that makes it about $18.50 plus shipping. If you have a club to join in, that will help.

btroj
08-04-2012, 08:09 AM
The bigger the name, the higher the price?

Bass Pro here is that kind of expensive. Oddly enough., Cabelas is much more reasonable. Caelas has higher, but still somewhat reasonable prices.

Best deals in town are at Guns Unlimited, our one true gunshow in town. Great prices, great selection, lousy service. Well, service is good if they know you and you shoot lotsof trap or skeet. I tolerate the attitude when I need stuff.

We have a Scheels with old prices too. Spent a few bucks there over the years.

I think Bass Pro is more of a hunter/fishing store, not a place geared towards the reloading market. I look thru the reloading area when i am there but never make a purchase. I would never consider them a source for components, I would make due and wait before I pay those prices.

ph4570
08-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Wideners has Wolf 556m primers on sale now for $16/1000. Sadly I just ordered some from powder valley at $22 before the Wideners sale.

clodhopper
08-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I paid 129 for 5000 winchester small pistol just last month.

GabbyM
08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I paid 37.00 yesterday for CCI SR primers. I probably could get them cheaper online, but this shop is the only place within about 40 miles of me that carries any reloading supplies at all, so I don't mind supporting them.

I'm sure they deserve your suport and ther is always some customer service.
40 miles one way at 38 cents per mile is 80 * .38 = $30.40.
That pointed out I drove fifty miles RT today to grocery shop. We do have a store in town.

ubetcha
08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
The Gander stores in Wisconsin have dropped 95% of their reloading stuff. I bought a batch at 50% off closeout prices. I stopped and told the manager that I no longer have a reason to shop there. Then they cancelled 3 NRA Meetings being held in meeting rooms in their stores support of Wisconsin Concealed Carry. The reason for cancellation? Threats by anti gunners not to shop in their stores. Many of my friends are boycotting them as am I. I used to spend $500-1000 a year there on clothing, reloading components, scope mounts, etc. Not a dime since Feb. this year. Their parking lot here is pretty bare most weekends. RD

x1. The Gander Mountain store in Germantown claims to be the largest gun store in Wisconsin.I will not shop there after hearing they dropped the NRA.Haven't shopped there since the Cabela's opened just down the road.Besides, my oldest son live just about a 1/2 mile away from Cabelas

firefly1957
08-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Bass pro in Auburn Hills Michigan are asking $67 a 1000 I got them at less but forgot the price now from Jay's and they were still higher than a place I found afterwards, I should have gone to Williams Gun Sight first would be the right way to say that!

Bad Water Bill
08-05-2012, 09:16 PM
$67.00+300 miles of driving, no thanks.

For that kind of money you can get a BRICK of Wolfe pay Hazmat have cash left over and 6 extra hours to do that honey do list.:bigsmyl2: