PDA

View Full Version : Swage-It Dies - How does it perform?

RGMJ
07-31-2012, 05:29 AM
Hi Guys,

I was surfing the web today, looking for swaging dies for pistol bullets and ran across Swage-It dies.

Swage-It dies only cost $50 for a set for one type of bullet shape. Their other accessories and tools, like lead core cutter or core mold are also not too expensive.

Any of you tried this brand? The site also suggests to put a zinc base on the bullet- first time I knew about it.

I was considering swaging bullets for my 357 and 44 magnum ammo, but Corbin and CH4D dies were a little too steep for a newbie.

Thanks for any reply!!

Sasquatch-1
07-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Hi Guys,

I was surfing the web today, looking for swaging dies for pistol bullets and ran across Swage-It dies.

Swage-It dies only cost $50 for a set for one type of bullet shape. Their other accessories and tools, like lead core cutter or core mold are also not too expensive.

Any of you tried this brand? The site also suggests to put a zinc base on the bullet- first time I knew about it.

I was considering swaging bullets for my 357 and 44 magnum ammo, but Corbin and CH4D dies were a little too steep for a newbie.

Thanks for any reply!!

These are sold under the Hawk Precission bullets brand now and are no longer availible at that price.

I have one in 44 and it works well for half jacket or lead bullets. You cannot make the soft or hollow point bullets that you see many here making. When I bought mine it ran me about $170.00 delivered. If you call Andy at the number listed there he will be more then happy to talk with you.

Wayne Smith
08-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I think that's what I just got for the .45. I made some beautiful round nose bullets with .40 brass cut down and expanded with a .45 Lyman M die. 270-275gr bullets. Then I measured them. A perfect .459" diameter! Light bullets for my 45-70, and I have to figure how to cast some lead cores of about 300gr-400gr at less than .45cal. Probably have to use .40 brass fully annealed and maybe untrimmed for that core. Gonna be fun finding out.

My 45-70 molds go from 120gr to 520gr, so these fit right in as they are!

The ejector rod is just a 1/4" piece of steel sticking out. I'll need to turn a piece of wood to fit over it to make it easier on my rubber mallet.

Sasquatch-1
08-03-2012, 08:17 AM
I Light bullets for my 45-70, and I have to figure how to cast some lead cores of about 300gr-400gr at less than .45cal. Probably have to use .40 brass fully annealed and maybe untrimmed for that core. Gonna be fun finding out.

My 45-70 molds go from 120gr to 520gr, so these fit right in as they are!

The ejector rod is just a 1/4" piece of steel sticking out. I'll need to turn a piece of wood to fit over it to make it easier on my rubber mallet.

With my Hawk die (Swage-it) I use a lead ingot on the ejector die. Works real well and does not damage the rod.

As for the heavy weight bullets for 45-70, I have made some 310 grn 44's by filling the case to over flowing and the melting the lead in the case so that it actually sticks over the rim a bit. (I weigh every core filling on the scale with the case I am using since I have found that the cases can have as much as a 5 grain difference in weight.) Heat it up real good and you anneal the case at the same time. You can also try taking 2 cores that equal the weight you are looking for and seating the in the case where the two meet is below the top of the case. You can also use 10MM which is a much longer case but the same dimensions.

Two other suggestions.
1: I took an old Lee mold I no longer used and drilled it out for a core mold.

2: I have a mold that makes a very narrow ingot that can be cut down.

Wayne Smith
08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
I was dreaming last night of a two part bullet with a drop of epoxy in it. How common are 10mm cases? I have 2000 40's. It'll take me some time to play with it.

Sasquatch-1
08-04-2012, 09:00 AM
I was dreaming last night of a two part bullet with a drop of epoxy in it. How common are 10mm cases? I have 2000 40's. It'll take me some time to play with it.

Check in the swapping and selling section and see what people may be offering. I find a few (very few) while at the range. For what you want you may be able to work up a swap with someone. You may have to go 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 for them.