PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the ch4d 105 swaging dies.

rmatchell
07-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Im looking at the ch4d 105 half jacket dies has anybody used these dies. I like the price just haven't see much as far as reviews.

Wayne Smith
07-31-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm using an old set of Herter's 44 half jacket dies, I think much the same but I don't know. I'm using cut off 40S&W brass as half jackets. Would like to get a nose punch or two that are different but that is specialized machine work and I work wood, not metal. I'll be talking with Buckshot about this over time.

The basic problem with these dies is that half jackets are largely gone. Corbin makes them but charges typical Corbin prices. For the rest of us it is up to us to figure out how to make our own.

As far as the quality of the dies, BTSniper started out with CH dies and added better internals. This argues that the basic die body is well made. I've not had problems with other CH products and haven't heard many complaints.

rmatchell
07-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Well I might have to bite the bullet and spend the money. I plan on using cut down brass also, it looks to be the least expensive way to start. Thanks for your reply

Wayne Smith
07-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Mitchell, I cut the brass down with the Lee chuck on my drill motor and a cut down Lee 40 cal trim plug. I then fully anneal the brass in a piece of pipe with a cap on each end, when I have enough to fill it. This goes in the firebox when I smoke meat. They are then cleaned with citric acid before they are used. I discovered that these are essential steps.

What calibers are you looking to swage?

Sasquatch-1
07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Im looking at the ch4d 105 half jacket dies has anybody used these dies. I like the price just haven't see much as far as reviews.

If you are going to be making half jackets from fired brass you may want to invest in one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top-cut-off-saw-42307.html

It is even on sale right now for $25.00. One thing, if the blade slips whren you get it, place a washer in with the blade and this will take care of the problem.