PDA

View Full Version : Sabots, different colors mean different sizes?

moptop
07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Since I've found that the New Englander .50cal I bought shoots great my brain is now in high gear...again.

My question to all is I take it that the different colors of sabots relates to the different size bullets they should be used with? I bought a bag of T/C "cheap shot" bullet/sabots and the sabots are black and the bullets are .429" dia. Is there a sabot that will allow me to use a .452" bullet.....like the ones I cast for my 1911? I shoot Lees RN 230grn TL style, is that do-able? Brain on overdrive, trying to kill two birds with one size boolet!!!
(did I ask this before? If so, sorry)

Thanks again for allowing me to pick thy brains! Dominick

Tatume
07-31-2012, 06:21 AM
Look here: http://www.mmpsabots.com/

10 ga
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
There are basically only 2 different manufacturers of sabots and they have their own lines and mfg. for the bullet companier too. They are MMP and Harvester. You have a link to MMP and I'll try to get Harvester up for ya.

http://www.harvesterbullets.com/

Yes, there are different size sabots for different size bullets. However there is a wide range of sizes in ML barrels of the same calibre, even from the same maker. What is a "50" may be from .495 to .505 on the lands. That is quite a difference when trying to get a sabot bullet combo to fit and shoot properly. Usually the black or red crush rib sabots work best for most people shooting .451/452 bullets. For .458 bullets the smooth orange or black crush rib seems to work best. The .429 and .430 bullets in sabots are OK but usually are not as accurate as the other bullet/sabot combos. Many guys that shoot cast boolits find that knurling the bullets with a file helps them grip the sabot and spin instead of slipping inside the sabot and loosing accuracy. $.02 Hope this helps. 10 ga

troy_mclure
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
You can get them in about any color, any barrel size/bullet size.
I've got green .50/.452 and .50/.429, same with black.
I've got some clear plastic ones that look like shot wads for .54/50, and the same style but with a blue stripe.