PDA

View Full Version : Waste brass jacket

Sasquatch-1
07-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Don't know if anyone has tried this before,but I took a piece of the brass that I had cut off a piece of 40, this was the waste section.

When I got my swage dies they had the punch that puts the star shape in the brass for expansion purposes. I took the piece of brass and fed it into the punch, then took a core and seated it in this. After I fed it through the nose punch this is what I came up with. This was just an experiment so I didn't weigh the bullet.

mold maker
07-30-2012, 02:07 PM
There seems to be no end to the possibilities.

Smokin7mm
07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Have you shot any yet? My concern would be with the size of the exposed lead in the base and it pushing the core right out of the jacket possibly leaving the jacket in the barrel. If you do shoot them check after each shot initially to make sure everything has exited the barrel. Closing up the end more would be just like making the tubing jackets and shouldn't pose a problem. Cool idea though.
Bret

Sasquatch-1
07-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Have you shot any yet? My concern would be with the size of the exposed lead in the base and it pushing the core right out of the jacket possibly leaving the jacket in the barrel. If you do shoot them check after each shot initially to make sure everything has exited the barrel. Closing up the end more would be just like making the tubing jackets and shouldn't pose a problem. Cool idea though.
Bret

No, I haven't shot any yet and not really sure if I am going to. It is really kind of time consuming for the result.

Unfortunately with the size of the cutoffs that was the best I could get.