PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 715T 22 tactical lead buildup on flash suppressor

mjwcaster
07-30-2012, 09:27 AM
My friend just got a Mossberg 715T 22 tactical.
It is just a 702 Plinkster in a 2 piece plastic shell. I mean after looking I think I could just drop my 702 into the stock.

While inspecting/cleaning it yesterday he noticed lead buildup on the flash suppressor.
When we finally managed to get it all off I would guess we had 20-30 grains of lead and had lost some of it.
Kind of scary that the bullets were leaving this much buildup, no idea how much it was shot before my friend got it. We had put 1-200 rounds through it before cleaning.

So we need to get this thing off and cleaned up more and then just open it up a little bit.

I just need to make sure that it is removable and normal thread direction.

The gun is also a jam-o-matic but has a nice trigger.

I have a 702 at home and hate it. Worst trigger I have ever felt. His 715T has a fun trigger. I want to switch the trigger to mine.

The split stock design means that you need to remove the sights (top rail mounted) to open it up and get to the 702 for cleaning. Need to sight in after reassembly.
I am concerned about stripping all the screws that are needed for dis assembly, they do not inspire confidence.

Mag release is a bad joke, just a piece of plastic that is supposed to activate the 702's mag release as it rotates. Held in place with a small screw. Have to tighten it down to keep it from coming loose, but too tight can lead to binding. Has tendency to remain in unlocked condition.

When the 715T ran it was fun to shoot. I expected to hate it and it has enough problems that I shouldn't like it, but when it shot it was fun.
Yes shooting is still fun, really fun and the practice with clearing drills it not the worst thing in the world, at least on the range.

The 25 round mag is kind of a joke, it is a normal 10 rd metal mag that snaps into the large plastic extension. His pulled out of the plastic block once on the front, snapped back in. Plenty of binding in mag, locks up so hard that I was denting brass loading but not moving it. Smack mag around to seat rounds and it would load again, until next time.

Rifle fed better after good cleaning and more attention to mag loading, but not great.
I wish I had brought the 702 mag to try out, I think the feeding problems are mag related.

All in all a cheaply made lowest quality gun that if you get a good one (I read they are out there) it is fun when it shoots.
Design is still just 'oh god we are missing a market, throw something together cheap and get it out the door'.

If we can get it to run, and not shoot the flash suppressor it will be fun, and I would definitely take one if you gave it to me, although I wouldn't recommend it to any one.

GT27
07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I have one of the original models(with the A2 handle).I've never had any problems from it, gobbles up anything I feed it ,accurate(2 MOA/Eley),fun gun!!2- 25 round mags,10-10 round mags,occasional 22 dud!Sorry to hear you got a marginal candidate!I guess I got lucky! GT27
http://i48.tinypic.com/qo7gn4.jpg