PDA

View Full Version : whats the right mix for WW

yman
05-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Ok, I got one, I got my ww all melted down and poured into ingots. I got my linotype poured into ingots and ready. I've read 10% is the right mix. Now what I want to know is that 10% by weight or 10% by volume? I know ww are heavier that type, so I 'm thinking it would take alot more than 1 ingot if I went the with 10 ingots of ww. What do you guys think.

jhalcott
05-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I think you need to tell us WHAT you are going to shoot the bullets in and AT!
A revolver and paper targets an autoloader or a rifle will get by using different alloys. A deer, moose or grizzly bear MIGHT take a different load also.

cbrick
05-06-2007, 11:31 PM
What jhalcott said.

There is no magical alloy where your good to go for everything and anything. Ya know, 10% of this, 70% of that, a touch of voodoo and load and shoot anything. Sure would take all the fun out of it if it were like that.

Let us know what your loading, how fast and what your target might be. Odds are the wheel weight alone will be sufficient and you can save the lino for something that really needs it.

Rick

floodgate
05-07-2007, 12:13 AM
yman:

The standard for alloying bullets is generally agreed to be by weight, not volume ("volume" can be a bit tricky to measure, unless you like juggling Pyrex measuring cups full of hot metal; all "weight" takes is a scale). Actually these heavy metals are all high enough in density that it would make very little difference in the properrties of the final mix, either way.

floodgate

yman
05-07-2007, 06:27 AM
Opps, I forgot, cal and target, my bad. I be shooting 45colts with a 250gr SWC or 255 gr RNFP which ever one ends up shooting the most accurate. That is if either one proves accurate enough. Anyway I plan on pushing it around 900 to 1000fps. Going to be shooting at med sized southeastern deer (KY) up to 50yds. with a Rugar blackhawk. I got about 100 lbs of ww and about 50lbs of lino melted and ready to go,gotta get more ww, so let me know whats next. Hope that helps cover it, this casting stuff is a blast, thanks for everyones help.

Bass Ackward
05-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Opps, I forgot, cal and target, my bad. I be shooting 45colts with a 250gr SWC or 255 gr RNFP which ever one ends up shooting the most accurate. That is if either one proves accurate enough. Anyway I plan on pushing it around 900 to 1000fps. Going to be shooting at med sized southeastern deer (KY) up to 50yds. with a Rugar blackhawk. I got about 100 lbs of ww and about 50lbs of lino melted and ready to go,gotta get more ww, so let me know whats next. Hope that helps cover it, this casting stuff is a blast, thanks for everyones help.

yman,

Good news! It doesn't matter!

With the Colt you can shoot anything from pure lead right on up as long as you match your hardness to your pressure rate. But lots of things died using pure lead with that one.

I'd save that lino iffin it were me. Of coarse, we have some real hardies around here that would tell you 50/50, WW/lino would be as soft as you want to go. :grin:

So there is only one certified expert to settle this debate, ask Mr Gun.

cbrick
05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
yman,

Me thinks Mr. Gun will say to save the lino and just use the WW. The real secret to getting any cast bullet to work well (ie, accurate and no leading) is making the bullet fit the gun. Slug your throats and bore. If the revolver is properly dimensioned your bore will be at throat diameter and you need to size the bullets to a mild snug fit in the throats.

Prime causes of leading and inaccuracy are poor bullet fit and the alloy too hard.

Rick

buck1
05-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Yep , save that lino for something that needs it. That 45 does not.......Buck