PDA

View Full Version : Remington 597

PacMan
07-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Any of you guys shooting the Rem 597? If so what kind of accuracy are you getting?
Any info on the gun will be appericated.
Thanks
Pac

Agrotom
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I have one, its my beater gun for the pickup. I think its a great plinker and very reliable. I like it!!! [smilie=l:

Bill*
08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
I have one also, it shoots under 1" at 75 yards. It's been bedded into a Boyds laminate and has a Volksquartsen trigger/extractor/etc. Also a screw style tuner called a "bug tuner" or something like that in the fore end. It wasn't quite that accurate till I played with it but it was never a dog :-D
Found it....It's called a "bug hole tuner"

fatnhappy
08-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I picked up a 597 Tech target with a volquarsten trigger for $275 recently. I pulled the barska scope off it and replaced it with a Leupold 3-9 AO scope. I tried 4 different HP and TC ammo. It likes of all things Remington Golden bullet. Under an inch at 50 yards for 10 shot groups.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/IMG_0101.jpg
http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Ammunition/Rimfire/22GBHP08clr.ashx

BTW, my ruger 10/22 will do about the same with federal bulk box ammo. It wears a factory barrel too.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/023.jpg

AllAlaskan
08-10-2012, 08:34 PM
A buddy of mine that lives in Texas has one and he likes it. We both found trading around while target shooting that my Marlin 60 is a little more accurate but his Remi wasnt far behind it. From what I seen his any ways was a pretty good little rifle.

44minimum
08-18-2012, 07:53 PM
My nephew has one and has put probably a few 1000 rounds through it and it just keeps on going. His has the gray plastic stock on it, he heated up the butt plate with a hair dryer until he could pop it off, then he put some survival supplies inside the huge cavity. No idea how accurate it is.

trapdoor-man
08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Bought one 3 years back. Breaking in resulted in lots of FTFs and FTEs. Tried new mags. My gunsmith said 597s were junk. He had 3 in the back with same prob. Then I found a forum devoted to 597s. Advised to readjust the bolt guide rods for minimum preload. Not the way Rem manual says. Did it the forum way and bang, bang, bang, as fast as I could pull the trigger. All mags. Told the smith about the fix and a short time later, the 597s were gone, but like most smiths, he wouldn't tell me what worked.

Final word, I like it. Runs good.

paul s
09-09-2012, 04:59 PM
One I had shot 4" patterns at 50 yards, Not good in my book. I called Remington and they said that was within specs! Stay away from Remington, the stuff they make these days are junk. JMO

Shiloh
09-09-2012, 08:22 PM
One I had shot 4" patterns at 50 yards, Not good in my book. I called Remington and they said that was within specs! Stay away from Remington, the stuff they make these days are junk. JMO

The ones I've seen running really good have had trigger and bedding work done to them.
My sons could keep most of them in a 3" circle at 50 yards.

Shiloh

Jack Stanley
09-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I have the 597 chambered in twenty-two magnum , as long as it's shooting Federal FMJ or CCI forty grain hollow point ammo it shoots real well . All of the other ammo I tested just isn't very accurate in it at all . That Federal forty grain FMJ though shoots almost as well as a bolt rifle . Scope is a Simmons 22MAG with an adjustable objective and that really helps my old eyes get the rifle on target .

Jack

stubshaft
09-14-2012, 12:42 AM
I have a box stock 597 that I bought years ago. It is the most accurate semi-auto that I own.

starmac
09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I see mixed reviews, but I picked one up yesterday for a beater gun in the truck but mostly to keep my 39 out of the canoe. We just need to see how it shoots now.

starmac
09-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Well I tried it out today and was not too impressed.
The trigger is going to need some work and it also jammed a couple of times on the second clipfull.
I was using some old remington bulk and will have to try some different ammo before judging it too harshly.

abner
09-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Hello

i have a Remmy 597, I picked it up about two years ago. It has a heavy barrel, scope rail, and a ambi pistol grip laminated yellow an black stock. All I added was a cheap Wally World scope and low rings. Mine had no problems so to speak of. Once in a while with a full loaded mag I get a FTF or FTE, that said I generaly only load 5 rounds and have no prolems. I have tried many diferent .22 ammo, with it liking the high velocity better. I need to do more bench time with it at 50/100 yards with standard and match ammo. Just need time!!

have a great day

Joe

SeabeeMan
09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
I have a synthetic stock with a 3-9x40 tasco (cheap, I know) that works great. I've never fired it next to a 10/22 but I can't imagine having a basic rimfire semi-auto that works any better. It didn't like the stock, old style magazine but it like the aftermarked 30 rd mags just fine...never any issues.

I've shot under an 1" at 75 yds and easily break clays on the berm and 125ish just for the heck of it. The safety started not wanting to go back to safe recently, but a quick cleaning fixed that problem. Turns out I should clean it once in a while.