PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating time on the range

Olevern
07-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Had a couple of boys over to shoot in my backyard range today after early church; we shot for about three hours then the one who came with his dad left and I took the other one back home.

When I got back home I had the bench and bags set up so thought I might mount up a scope on a recently acquired Thompson Center Contender barrel (10" oct. in .22 LR).

Had some difficulty with the "star" type screws that came with the rings (don't know what this type of screw is called, but it is not a phillips or slotted). Apparently either the allen type wrench they sent with the rings or the screws themselves was out of spec because I couldn't tighten without them slipping.

Anyway, snugged the screws up as well as I could and thought "Oh, well, it's just a .22, not like recoil will loosen them up".

Took the gun out and fired a sighter from about 20 feet; not on target. Went in closer and saw where the shot hit, but decided that the amount of adjustment right to left was so much that I needed to use the adjustment in the mount base. So....recentered the scope windage adjustment and used the mount base screws to adjust windage, then made final adjustments with the scope adjustments, moved back to 50 feet, however, shots weren't following the adjustments. Revisited the ring screws and found the scope could be moved in the rings with little pressure from my hands. Great.

So, back to the gun room to ferret out some different screws, remount the scope in the rings and start all over again.

My shooting bench was rocking a bit so I compensated by putting pressure on one elbow while trying to keep the crosshairs alligned and squeeze the trigger. My first group with CCI Blazers had two called "pulls", so took the time to shim the rocking leg of the bench so that it would not be a distraction/hinderance.

Then I took her back to the bench and shot two more groups; one with Winchester subsonic and the second with CCI Blazers; finally some success.

By then I was hot and tired so adjorned till another day.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/contender2250feetJuly12.jpg

Frustrating at times, but ain't it fun?

bruce drake
07-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Torq screwheads are "star" shaped.

Most Autoparts stores sell the bits and screwdrivers for these systems. I just bought a set of Torq wrenchs on a allen key setup. Looks like a swiss army knife but it has all the sizes I'll ever need when I see these types of bolts.

Bruce

Olevern
07-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Torq screwheads are "star" shaped.

Most Autoparts stores sell the bits and screwdrivers for these systems. I just bought a set of Torq wrenchs on a allen key setup. Looks like a swiss army knife but it has all the sizes I'll ever need when I see these types of bolts.

Bruce

Bruce,

that be the name (torx), I couldn't think of it and too lazy to look it up, thanks.
vern

1Shirt
07-29-2012, 06:44 PM
If every time you went to the range and every thing went well, and you shot 1/2" groups consistantly, you would get tired of it (probably) and quit shooting. It is the challange that keeps us coming back!
1Shirt!

**oneshot**
08-06-2012, 10:41 PM
If you own a Buckmark varmit model with the full rail. All be it just a 22, the rear screw will back out unless you locktite it.
I just bought a buckmark and shot it as soon as it arrived. I was happy as a clam, little tiny groups, functioned perfect with target ammo. Cleaned it and put it away.
In the process of finding the best ammo, my groups suddenly started to open up, vertical stringing with some left to right variance. Even the ammo that at first shot great shot crazy. Took it home and found the culprit. It was one of those moments where your brain thinks as fast as a rocket of all the things you could have done to screw up, 1 twist of a screw driver and the world suddenly looks sunny and bright all over again.