PDA

View Full Version : So I have this barrel

cabezaverde
05-06-2007, 08:32 PM
It is a full Octagon 45-70, 30" long that came off an Uberti High Wall. I bought it on EBay in the event I might want to change my Uberti High Wall over from it's current 30-40 Krag configuration.

Now I am wondering if this barrel could be somewhat easily fitted to the action of my 375 HH Ruger #1, which I never shoot.

Anyone know how this would work out in terms of technical stuff like shank size, etc. Cutting the barrel down some would not be a problem if that had to be done to rethread the barrel.

Frank46
05-07-2007, 02:07 AM
De Hass's book sing;e shot rifles lists the ruger #1 as 16 tpi,.875 bbl shank length and 1" in diameter.
If unerti used the origional specs for the hi-wall 16tpi. .850 shank length and .935 shank diameter, the ruger shank diameter is bigger than the origional hi-wall. You would have to cut off the threaded portion and depending on just how big the octagonal section of the breech end you just might make it. i posted the origional hi-wall specs so's you could get some idea of what they are in relation to the ruger #1 specs. Hope this helps you out. Frank

threett1
05-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Even if you have to lop of an inch or 2, you still would have enough for a fine project. No 1 with an oct barrel, sounds good.:drinks:

John Taylor
05-07-2007, 09:26 AM
You may also need to bend the forearm mount down a little to clear the barrel. I have made up several #1 and #3 with long octagon barrels, they look good and shoot good.