PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 50 Plains Bullet

HARRYMPOPE
07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
i have been having good luck with the Lyman 508656 lately in my Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1-32" twist.I use 75g Triple Seven FF and CCI 11 mgs to spark it.its a pretty clean and easy combo to shoot.The bullet is cast from lead that tests 5BHN and tumbled in Planet Waves "Step 2" liquid carnauba wax wood instrument finish.It dries fast and leaves a light waxy coating that is not messy to handle.
I installed peep sights on the rifle and now i have been getting pretty consistent accuracy as shown in the two groups from this AM at 100 yards(1-1/8" and 1-1/2") .Best groups have been a bit under 1" and the worst are 2-1/4" for 5 shot groups.

idahoron
07-29-2012, 11:22 PM
That bullet is doing well for you. I could not get it to group under 6" at 50 yards out of my green mountain fast twist. Ron

HARRYMPOPE
07-30-2012, 12:07 AM
That bullet is doing well for you. I could not get it to group under 6" at 50 yards out of my green mountain fast twist. Ron

Some molds were cut too small.Mine is .508 to .510 at the rear

George

idahoron
07-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Mine was .504 at the front band. A .508 or even a .510 would be a good bullet. Lyman would not make it right so I sold it. Ron

wgr
07-30-2012, 11:23 PM
i have one that cast .508 and shoots great out of my 1/28 twist

shredder
07-31-2012, 11:09 AM
HARRYMPOPE are you usinig a felt wad under the bullet? I shoot the same bullet and my best results have always been with 80 gr of ffg black and a felt wad. Mine is .510 as well.

HARRYMPOPE
08-01-2012, 12:34 AM
HARRYMPOPE are you usinig a felt wad under the bullet? I shoot the same bullet and my best results have always been with 80 gr of ffg black and a felt wad. Mine is .510 as well.

I have tried it with and without felt/wool wad and saw no accuracy difference.I am using a lube that has petroleum distillates with the carnauba and when i tried Black it gummed up so bad i had to beat the third bullet down the bore with a mallet.I am not a purist so shooting sub's doesn't hurt my feelings.A Muzzle loader is just another vessel to launch a cast bullet to me.

George

GrizzLeeBear
08-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Great shooting! I picked up one of those molds several years ago but haven't even cast any with it yet. Got it to try in a couple 1:48 twist Lyman guns, but I haven't hardly shot my front stuffers for a few years. I was just thinking yesterday about getting it out and seeing if I can work up a good load for deer hunting this season.

HARRYMPOPE
08-04-2012, 12:47 AM
after all my bragging and mutilple range sessions with small groups all went wild last time out.I started at 200 yards to see what i could do and couldn't shoot a 1 foot group.Back to 100 and 3"-6" was it.I left the range rather frustrated.A day later while taking the rifle of of the stock to check bedding noticed the rear Lyman sight looked weird.The thing was twisted and bent and the peep was just flopping around!How it happened I'll never know.I swapped it for one from another gun and while it didn't shoot as small as the last groups shown it was 2"-2-1/2" @100 and made me feel better.

George

shredder
08-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Sorry,I had to laugh at that. That same thing just happened to me only it was a scope that got banged pretty good some how and had thrown the zero way off. Had me totally rattled for a while!

HARRYMPOPE
09-03-2012, 10:52 PM
update on lube-

the new batch of Planet Waves "step 2" liquid carnauba wax I have been recommending has changed.it is lo longer yellow in color and waxy when it dries.it now is powdery and white.I hadn't paid close enough attention at first until the bores got crudded up and accuracy went sour.Accuracy was good with bullets from the old batch i had left over though.I hope if others ordered it they got the yellow waxy stuff.I am going to call the company and see if there was a change in the formula.

The new batch makes my guitar sound funny at 100 yards.--------GRIN----------

George