PDA

View Full Version : Fill-out problems...need advise

ShooterAZ
07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm having some problems with a mold. It is the RCBS 44cal 250K. This mold has a lot of very square profiles/edges and some boolits are not filling out well (rounded edges, not square). I have been culling any boolits that the front driving band has not been sized at all.

The mold has been well cleaned and used several times...I preheat it on a hotplate.The alloy I am using is 1 part linotype to 3 parts pure lead, so I think I have enough tin in there. I am casting at 675-700 degrees.

Is there some tricks to getting better fill out with molds of this type? More tin to the mix? Hotter? Cooler? I'm getting to many rejects.

Thanks...Shooter

Larry Gibson
07-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Try 700 - 725 degrees.

If using a bottom pour pot keep the sprue plate 1/4" or so from the spout. Open the spout adjustment so the alloy comes out quicker. Pour alloy so there is a generous sprue, even if there is run off.

Larry Gibson

Ronbo256
07-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Not enough Tin. By Bumpo682's excel spreadsheet 3 parts pure lead to 1 part linotype yields an alloy that is 96% lead, 3% Antimony, and 1% tin. A one to one mix would yield classic hardball, 92% lead, 6% antimony and 2% tin. PM me if you want a copy of the spreadsheet.

5shotbfr
07-29-2012, 10:53 AM
i like just a bit more heat myself , around 750

it may be that just casting a bit faster will help keep those rounded edges at bay by keeping the mold temp hotter and more consistant , also keeping a cadence while casting helps a huge amount as well , i like to use a clock with a second hand to look at every now an then to make sure i keep doing everything the same way every pour

Ronbo256
07-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Larry and 5shot bring up excellent points, I cast at around 725-750 myself, I missed that in your post. 1% tin should fill out if you follow their advice. I count one one thousand, two one thousand to 4, then break the sprue, cadence will help maintain an even mold temp which will help fillout.

ShooterAZ
07-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys, I will put the heat up to 725. And yes it is a bottom pour pot, so I will adjust to get a heavier stream as well. I was using a fast paced cadence...and waiting a few moments when boolits were getting very frosty.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Short fat pistol bullets are easier to cast than long narrow rifle ones , but in either case you will get sharper and better filled out results with 1-2% tin. As pointed out you must get a sufficient flow of alloy, from a short distance of "drop", and have a gnerous sized sprue puddle to feed the cavities for shrinkage as the sprue cools. A gimmick that also can improve results is to pass the still molten sprue puddle under the nozzle a second to re-feed the puddle....its messy but with heavier bullets it seems to help, so its worth a try. LLS