PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a new shooter to BPCR

Bad Ass Wallace
07-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Well the vistor has left and I hope, filled with new found knowledge and skills about this fascinating subject.

A friend today wanted to try various BPCR's. Kims shoulder was first softened by repelling a Zulu charge with a Martini 577/450. He handled the recoil of full loads to shoot 5 rounds all on the target. Not bad for someone who had never fired anything black powder before; so then he progressed to a session with the 1874 50cal Sharps!

Didn't take long to develop that laid back stance typical of all black powder shooters
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Kimall_b.jpg

At shot No.9, even a low flying bird couldn't break that steely glare through the sights
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Kimall_a.jpg

A very incredible, first ever 10 shot group with the 50cal Sharps by a newbie
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/5070targetA.jpg

Judging from the wide grin afterward, I wouldn't be surprised to see him join the ranks of brothers shooting black[smilie=l:

hightime
07-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I see you get your own kick from watching. Me too. I watched my grandson shoot BPC yesterday for the first time. I loved it.

Owen

Ed in North Texas
07-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Good on you, B.A. It is a great feeling to introduce someone to our great sport (either BP or shooting in general).

Ed

Boz330
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Good on you, B.A. It is a great feeling to introduce someone to our great sport (either BP or shooting in general).

Ed

Absolutely, my Godson was looking and found a rifle before 1 week was gone after his first match. Probably not a first but it took 6 days. and rifle in hand.

Bob

GOPHER SLAYER
08-03-2012, 09:39 PM
B.A. Wallace, glad to hear you have brought another soul into the fold. Once hooked on Holy black you never get free. I see that you have a cadet rifle on the bench. Would you mind posting a picture of it? I have one in excellent condition and I am torn between keeping it as is or making it a .218 Bee. Do they still make brass for the .222 Rimed down under? I understand it was created to use in the thousands of surplus cadet rifles. That would make a great combo. Does anyone know how many cadet rifles Australia bought for traing rifles? It must have been a lot. Thousands were sold in the USA back in the '50s. I read that the importer paid .50 cents apiece for them. They sold retail for 12 to 15 dollars in the beginning.

TXGunNut
08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
You're my hero, B A! An example for all of us.

Chicken Thief
08-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Getting him hooked is nothing.
Learning him all the delicate things that makes BP shooting fun, it the real chore;-)

Bad Ass Wallace
08-05-2012, 04:25 AM
GS,

The little Cadet is rebuilt as a 25/35 Winchester and used with 100gn cast boolits as a light weight stalking rifle on wild dogs. I'm more than hooked on these little rifles with 11 x .310's in the safe as well as sporting rifles in 17AH, 218 Mashburn Bee, 17/222Rinmmed, 222Rimmed:oops:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/23-35_edited-1.jpg

EDG
08-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Wallace
According to the experts you need to tell your new BPCR shooter that he can't hit anything unless he is shooting a Shiloh. One of these days you will figure out that you can't possibly hit anything with a Pedersoli.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
B.A.Wallace, I want to first thank you for posting those pictures. They are a pleasure to look at. I think it is fantastic that intelligent people with good taste all over the world enjoy shooting beautiful single shot rifles. You are obviously smarter than I am since you kept your single shots while I on the other hand traded off some really great ones, including a cadet made up in .218 Bee. The memories make me want to cry myself to sleep at night. I have built up a nice collection again but here in California we are running out of places to shoot and I am running out of years. That cadet rifle is a beaut. I notice it is made for a south paw and in your picture at the bench you are shooting from starboard. Was it made up for another shooter? Is that varmint rug from a dingo? Thanks again.

waksupi
08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Wallace
According to the experts you need to tell your new BPCR shooter that he can't hit anything unless he is shooting a Shiloh. One of these days you will figure out that you can't possibly hit anything with a Pedersoli.

Don't get that started again.

Bad Ass Wallace
08-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Wallace
Shiloh's are rarer than rocking horse doo in this part of the world, so we buy Peds and pretend we're shooting the "REAL" thing!:sad:
Here's a few of my nine Peds

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Picture001-2.jpg

Next time, I'll set him up with some century old originals! :redneck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Big_4_B.jpg

EDG
08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
BAW,
Nice Pedersoli setup. I like your original old timers too.
What is the name of the falling block external hammer rifle?

Don McDowell
08-06-2012, 08:44 PM
You did well Mr. Wallace, using what you had available to you and getting someone hopefully the burning urge to keep up with the sport is only a positive thing for you and your fellow shooters over there.
Tip of the hat to you.

Bad Ass Wallace
08-07-2012, 07:45 AM
BAW,
Nice Pedersoli setup. I like your original old timers too.
What is the name of the falling block external hammer rifle?
The left handed hammer gun is an 1876 Alex Henry made by the Braendolin Arms Co in Edinbough, Scotland. I have two of these!

Two or three times every year, I run a free bullet casting and reloading weekend at my farm and invite new shooters for the entire weekend to learn the mystic art and solve any reloading problems that they may be having. My 'retreat' offers access to about 120 boolit moulds, 70+ die sets, 4 reloading presses, a metal lathe, milling machine, private 200m rifle range, chronograph, portable shooting benches, a clay thrower. Free bed and lodgings and BBQ on Saturday night followed by viewing shooting DVD's until the wee hours!

We are able to cast boolits, load rounds, test velocity and accuracy, and return them home with a new found knowledge and encouragement to shoot more. There are almost 200 rifles in my gun vault so everyone can usually find something to play with! [smilie=w:

I limit attendances to a max of 6 persons so everyone gets to practice casting and reloading. It is so popular that I've already almost been booked out for 2013:shock:

EDG
08-07-2012, 10:33 AM
BAW,
I am glad you can offer that opportunity to a some very fortunate shooters.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-07-2012, 02:26 PM
B.A. Wallace, I hope there is a special place in heaven reserved for you.

Boz330
08-07-2012, 06:47 PM
BA you need a second instructor,,,,,,,,,,,,, Like me. Just the ambiance is reason enough to come. The only thing that I saw missing was adult beverages, and having run across a couple Aussies in my day, it must have been an oversight .:bigsmyl2:

Bob

Bad Ass Wallace
08-08-2012, 07:04 AM
BA you need a second instructor,,,,,,,,,,,,, Like me. Just the ambiance is reason enough to come. The only thing that I saw missing was adult beverages
I Australia, we call it "Aiming fluid" comes in a handy bottle and works best when cold!

Always room at my campfire for visitors:lovebooli

drcook
09-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Hey there B.A.W.

a fellow DownUnderer / new BP shooter is asking for some help, the folks on the Shiloh board are trying, but 1st hand experience in one's own environment sure helps.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19795&p=214837#p214837

Best
Dave.

also I sent you an email. did you by chance get it ?

Bad Ass Wallace
09-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey there B.A.W.
also I sent you an email. did you by chance get it ?
Thanks Dave,
Email received
It is good to re-open links to friends in far away places.

Cheers
BA

Downunder
09-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Good Day All
I must say BAW has been most helpful to another new shooter to BPCR. With the help of others I was able to talk to BAW on the phone and he is one open and helpful shooter. Its with mates like him that will make our sport more user friendly.
Thanks Mate for all your help.
Downunder

Bad Ass Wallace
09-28-2012, 07:33 AM
And don't let me see that Sharps come flying through the air like a boomerang just because you got frustrated with it! :grin::grin:

Downunder
09-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Not going to happen Mate. I'm now hooked! Just hope I can do as good with it as my father. He always kept us in meat and told some great hunting stories. I have you to help me anyway and all old mates note books on loads! And when I can't work something out I'll just jump on this website and ask a few questions and all the good folks here will help me out yet again.

TXGunNut
09-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Welcome, Downunder! Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Downunder
10-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Mate I'm off to a great start. Had a local guy come up and show me how to reload some cases a long with the safe way to doing things in the work shop. He and BAW have been a great help. I'm off to the range with the local guy next weekend to do some shooting with the 40/90 and get to know the rifle.:bigsmyl2:
I have to say what a great website and how everyone has made me so welcome. I can still remember looking at the rifle and loading gear and thinking it was going to be an up hill fight to get to know what to do but now I'm happy with the way things have come together.
Once again thanks to everyone who got behind me and helped a new shooter!
Downunder

TXGunNut
10-05-2012, 11:48 PM
I agree, great start and a great site. Seems you have some good friends to show you the ropes and help you thru the difficult parts as well. And you were right, this won't be easy but it's well worth the effort to chunk large chunks of lead like they did 130 yrs ago!