PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 S&W 1905 Hand Ejector Range Report

Leslie Sapp
07-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Many years ago, I inherited my grandfathers old 32-20, Ser# 27XXX. It hasn't been shot in at least 25 yrs. It's probably a first change, built around 1907. While it is in no sense pristine, it is mechanically sound, and could not be bought at any price.:smile:

I picked up a set of Lyman dies and a 311316 mold and commenced searching for a safe, low pressure load. After a whole lot of reading, ranging from old ideal catalogs, Ken Waters, Skeeter Skelton and right on to the latest listings on the various powder manufacturer's web pages, I settled on 3.5 grs of Unique as a starting load.

The 311316's drop at 112 grs from my mold with WW + 1% tin. The barrel slugged at .310, so I sized them to .311 and loaded up a few, leaving the gas checks off. I chose the Lyman dies for this because of the included M die. I had heard horror stories of how hard 32-20 was to load, but did not have any problems at all with crushed cases.

To get an idea of how the load compared to the box of 1980's era 100 gr Remington factory loads I had, I alternated the factory loads with my handloads in one cylinder full. The factory loads had significantly more report and recoil than my 3.5 gr loads, which I was expecting. At 10 yards, the factory loads were all over the paper, while I was able to keep most of my loads within two inches. I saw no signs of pressure with either load.

I worked up to 4 grs Unique, again alternating one cylinder full with the factory loads. The 4 gr load had more report and recoil than the factory load, but showed no signs of pressure other than it being slightly harder to eject the cases from the cylinder.

Not wanting to blow up grandpa's gun, not to mention one of the great grandchildren, I dropped back to the 3.5gr loading.

However, I'm uncomfortable with Unique in this cartridge. When I inspect the charged cases with a flashight, that is a really small pile of powder down there in the bottom of the case. I'd like to go with something a little bulkier, to lesson the chance of a double charge. Does anyone have a suggestion of a bulkier powder that will give similar performance and be safe with a light load?

Dan Cash
07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
See what 2400 will do for you. I doubt you will do better than the Unique but I sure would up the charge a little.

Leslie Sapp
07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I started out looking for a 2400 load. All of the 2400 loads I found with listed pressures had pressures quite a bit above what I felt was safe. Most of the 2400 loads I've seen seem to be geared towards rifles or Ruger level revolvers.

Bret4207
07-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Ken Waters has some very good loads listed in Pet Loads. Start there. Myself, I've used everything from Bullseye to 2400 to SR7625 to Red Dot in my Colt Army Special (Official Police frame). Find something that you like that shoots good and have fun.

Leslie Sapp
07-28-2012, 06:38 PM
I studied that at length, but most of Water's loads seemed pretty hot for this gun. The one or two that showed low pressure and mild or moderate were using Unique. I don't want to get overcautious and get a squib load, but I also don't want to push an older, non heat treated cylinder.
I was surprised at how little information there was out there on the subject. I'm pretty good at researching, and I've spent a lot of time on this.

Bret4207
07-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Try looking at 32 S+W Long data then and use that for starting loads. I;ll look to see if I have any more sources of data. How low were you hoping for pressure-wise?

ETA- Which one of Waters articles were you looking at? He's got one for rifles, one for handguns.

Nobade
07-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Sounds like Trailboss would give what you're looking for.

cuzinbruce
07-30-2012, 09:11 AM
I have been using Herco, based on an article by Gil Sengel in Handloader a few years ago. If you are serious about shooting 32/20 pistol, it is a good reference. The Smiths that I have slugged ran larger, about .314. I thought that they just used the rifling cutters, etc, from 32 S&W Long. Lyman 311316 is about the same as the 3118, just cut for a gas check. Should be a good choice.
Have Fun!

Shooter
07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I would be conservative, S&W didn't start heat treating the cylinders untill about 1920.

Leslie Sapp
07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Which one of Waters articles were you looking
at?

I have the 1990 5th edition of Pet Loads, and was reading from the revolver article. Perhaps I'm just overcautious, if that is possible when dealing with a 105 yr old revolver. :smile:

rintinglen
07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
7.5 Grains of 2400 is the load I started with in my own gun, mine is a 1920ish post-heat serial number, but that load is very mild. It was also less accurate than the Unique loads I had been using, so I went back to them. Lyman lists 6.6 grains 2400 as a starting load with 10,900 cup and 8.3 grains max with 15,000 cup for the 115 grain 311-008. Your pressures should be similar
Trailboss is recommended by IMR for the 32-20, but the spread from"start" to "do-not-exceed" is only 2.2 grns to 2.5 grns. Pressures run from 11,300 cup to 15,300cup.
I think you'll find the 311-316 is better for rifle rounds than in low velocity handgun rounds. I have been using the RCBS 32-98 SWC and it is working better for me. 4.0 grains of unique and all is right with world. I also shot some 98 grain WC's over 3.2 grains of Unique, which worked surprisingly well.

Bret4207
07-31-2012, 07:46 AM
I have the 1990 5th edition of Pet Loads, and was reading from the revolver article. Perhaps I'm just overcautious, if that is possible when dealing with a 105 yr old revolver. :smile:

Okay, I'm looking at the same edition, same article. Why not back off his Bullseye load to 2.5 grs or so and start there? I think your 3.5 Unique was a good starting point. If the small amounts of powder are your concern then something like Trailboss might be the thing, but it's kind of expensive shooting IMO for what you get.

Multigunner
07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
I studied that at length, but most of Water's loads seemed pretty hot for this gun. The one or two that showed low pressure and mild or moderate were using Unique. I don't want to get overcautious and get a squib load, but I also don't want to push an older, non heat treated cylinder.
I was surprised at how little information there was out there on the subject. I'm pretty good at researching, and I've spent a lot of time on this.

I don't know about heat treatment of S&W cylinders but when refinishing a Spanish .32-20 revolver I found that the exterior of the cylinder was very noticably bulged over every chamber at the area of the chamber mouth.
Probably from firing jacketed bullet rifle loads, or possibly firing some similar but unsuitable European revolver cartridge that fit the chambers. The frame was also stretched.
Another revolver of exactly the same design, though it did not have the same markings, was still in excellent condition and operated just fine using old lead bullet revolver grade factory ammo.

I've read that French infantry officers prefered the Spanish made .32-20 revolvers when they could get them. If the 8mm Lebel revolver cartridge can fit the chamber this could be a source of damaged and shot loose Spanish pistols.

Wayne Smith
07-31-2012, 03:20 PM
I have been using Herco, based on an article by Gil Sengel in Handloader a few years ago. If you are serious about shooting 32/20 pistol, it is a good reference. The Smiths that I have slugged ran larger, about .314. I thought that they just used the rifling cutters, etc, from 32 S&W Long. Lyman 311316 is about the same as the 3118, just cut for a gas check. Should be a good choice.
Have Fun!

I have this article scanned onto my computer. If you want a copy PM me with an e-mail addy and I'll be glad to send it to you. He re-created the loads of the turn of the century and published three levels of loads.

ebner glocken
08-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I have the same gun with a sn of 68xxx. I've owned it for several years and is definatly a back burner project. The one load tried in it was this bullet with 3.0 gr of red dot.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050160059/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-32-caliber-312-diameter-100-grain-plated-flat-nose

This load stuck a few bullets in the barrel, so I woudn't use this load. The bbl is marked "32 WCF" so it's definatly pre 1920. I still have around 100 or so starline casings to experiment with and now own a 100 gr mold that was purchased from Catshooter. I'm curious to see what works as you've asked a question for me.

Ebner