PDA

View Full Version : New Marine 1911 45

Judan_454
07-28-2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/28/marines-pay-22m-to-go-back-to-their-old-guns-colt-45-caliber-pistols/
My favorite autoloading pistol and US made.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-28-2012, 05:30 PM
the one I carried in the Rangers in Vietnam never failed me. If it had...

Good to see old slabsides getting back in action.

Rich
Sua Sponte

Jim
07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I wondered about the gummint's decision to go 9MM. Took 'em long enough to figger it out, ya' think?

JIMinPHX
07-28-2012, 06:24 PM
I agree that the 45 is a big improvement over the 9mm, but I actually think that a .40 cal or 10mm is really the best choice that is currently available. The punch is pretty close to being as good as a .45, but the useful range & flatness of trajectory are a little better.

I like the 1911 design overall. It is the one that I would choose for my own personal use if I were going into a military battle zone.

Now, maybe those guys will also start to look at the rifle caliber they are using. I think that something around the size of the 6-mm Lee that they once used in small numbers is a far better choice than the dainty little .22 that they now have as a standard issue item.

It is VERY GOOD to see that they are going with Made in USA on this one. That isn't always the case for "American" military hardware anymore.

It's too bad that only around 5% of the Marines are slated to get these new 1911s, but at east it's a start.

gray wolf
07-28-2012, 06:58 PM
The punch is pretty close to being as good as a .45,
Yea the other ones might get a little bigger, but the 45 ain't gonna get any smaller.

MtGun44
07-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Very cool! My nephew was a Marine Captain and really wanted to carry his 1911
instead of the M9 in Afghanistan.

Think how weird it is that 101 years later, there are 20+ companies making 1911 variants
and the military is still buying them for combat.

Awesome!

Bill

willyboy
07-29-2012, 05:53 AM
John Browning and his brother Matt, would be proud!

garym1a2
07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
They would be much better served with a Glock 22!

jwp475
07-29-2012, 02:49 PM
They would be much better served with a Glock 22!

I doubt that

bruce drake
07-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I'll take a 1911 anyday over a Glock. You can shoot cast in them a lot easier! ;)

bruce drake
07-29-2012, 03:17 PM
And if you want a double-stack 9mm, than buy a Hi-Power!

JIMinPHX
07-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Yea the other ones might get a little bigger, but the 45 ain't gonna get any smaller.

Yes, & the 10mm may get a little slower, but the .45 will not get any faster. We can debate the fast & small vs. slow & big option on & on. It's been done in the past & it will be done again in the future.

I happen to think that the 10mm is a better choice for military use in a 1911 because it is more versatile, having a longer effective range & I believe that it has ample knockdown power. That is just my personal opinion & I realize that it is not necessarily the absolute truth in all situations.

I am very happy that the us is improving their caliber back to what it used to be & putting it back into the well proven & American made 1911 type launching device.

MtGun44
07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
1911 over a Glock any day. Marines know what they are about.

Bill

BossHoss
07-31-2012, 06:53 AM
I let out a an UUUUH-RAH when I saw that....

I sent a 1911 over with my boy in Iraq and he was constantly begged to sell it.

The forsaken has been re-welcomed into the Corps.

Thank God the contract went to Colt and not some off-shore ****-house.

Semper Fidelis

Wal'
07-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Wasn't there also pressure from NATO back then to standardize the calibre with the rest of the allies. :?: 9mm :groner:

bowfin
07-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Wasn't there also pressure from NATO back then to standardize the calibre with the rest of the allies.

The United States is only a big fan of standardization if everybody else picks what we have.

Case in point, the Fiat G.91 fighter which won the competition in 1953 as the NATO "standard" fighter. I never saw one in American markings.

But don't worry. If we go to war, we will make plenty of everything for everybody. That's what we do.

sqlbullet
07-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, & the 10mm may get a little slower, but the .45 will not get any faster. We can debate the fast & small vs. slow & big option on & on. It's been done in the past & it will be done again in the future.

I happen to think that the 10mm is a better choice for military use in a 1911 because it is more versatile, having a longer effective range & I believe that it has ample knockdown power. That is just my personal opinion & I realize that it is not necessarily the absolute truth in all situations.

I am very happy that the us is improving their caliber back to what it used to be & putting it back into the well proven & American made 1911 type launching device.

I agree the 10mm would be a great choice, and it would be great of 10mm fans. We might see broader market acceptance if it made it into military holsters.

My personal carry guns are 10mm and are cerakoted. One of them is a double stack 1911 (para _p-16 conversion).

nicholst55
07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Don't everyone get too excited; it isn't like they're replacing the M9 with this gun '...as many as 12,000 Marines...' will get the new pistol. That's far from being the entire Corps.

Single Six
07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Problem is the blast and recoil of 10mm. 45 is easier to shoot. And you gotta be gooood to take advantage of the 10 long range.

garym1a2
07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Special Ops types and Marines COMBAT MOS should be able to handle it. I suspect they want 45acp and threaded barrells.

Problem is the blast and recoil of 10mm. 45 is easier to shoot. And you gotta be gooood to take advantage of the 10 long range.

Wal'
08-01-2012, 01:04 AM
But don't worry. If we go to war, we will make plenty of everything for everybody. That's what we do.[/QUOTE]

Will that be via the factory's in China. [smilie=l: :kidding:

seagiant
08-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi Wal,
That's funny and reminds me of a story I heard in the 70's. One of the Japanese machine companies sent over the smallest drill bit in the world to a competitor here in the States to gloat. Well the American company sent it back and the Japanese said,"So what?" The Americans said,"Look at it!" They put it under magnification and there was a hole drilled sideways into the drill bit!!!

All this to say,we know our goverment has serious problems but we still lead the world in technology and if you get us mad we don't mind using it! Just ask the Japanese!

Wal'
08-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Hi Wal,
That's funny and reminds me of a story I heard in the 70's. One of the Japanese machine companies sent over the smallest drill bit in the world to a competitor here in the States to gloat. Well the American company sent it back and the Japanese said,"So what?" The Americans said,"Look at it!" They put it under magnification and there was a hole drilled sideways into the drill bit!!!

All this to say,we know our Goverment has serious problems but we still lead the world in technology and if you get us mad we don't mind using it! Just ask the Japanese!

Hey seagiant, I wasn't trying to be funny, then maybe again I was, :smile: but sadly its the same down here in Oz every thing today is made or copied in China.

And even sadder our damn Governments are doing nothing to save our homemade technology.

And yes we baby boomers & our parents did stop the Japanese, but whats the chance this latest generation is capable of it. :-(