PDA

View Full Version : mold lube?

45fan
07-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Very new to casting in fact about to cast my first boolits tomorrow and I believe I have everything I need. With a couple exceptions what can I use to lube the sprue plate and alignment pins. I am using Lee 6 cavity molds.

Also have recently read a thread about using saw dust as flux during smelting. What is the best flux to use in my Lee 20 bottom pour?

I have been hanging out in this forum soaking in as much info as possible and I believe I am ready, with a little guidance on these two matters. Thanks for the help all. One thing I have seen everybody is more than willing to help those without the experience here.

MikeS
07-27-2012, 11:46 PM
To lube the mould you can use 2 stroke fully synthetic oil, or better yet, contact forum member RandyRat, as he sells a mould lube called ZipLube that is probably the best thing you can use. If you check in the lube forum, there's sticky there that shows how to lube a mould. It shows a Lee 2 cavity mould, but you can do the 6 cavity the same way, just lube the alignment pins rather than the groove that the 2 cavity moulds have.

williamwaco
08-01-2012, 08:20 PM
I use Bullplate now but I used 50/50 beeswax/alox bullet lube for over 40 years.

shooting on a shoestring
08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I use a product called Dri-Slide. Its a suspension of moly/graphite in a solvent that evaporates and leaves the dry lube in place. I think it was targeted at locks. We used to sell it in our machine shop/parts store. Real good on car door hinges....and mould pins....and sprue plates....

country85
08-11-2012, 04:27 AM
I use bullet lube, I make the Darr recipe and just take a piece and lightly rub on the pins and the bottom of the sprue plate, has always worked for my on my lee molds

dromia
08-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Saw dust is best and/or stir with a dry stick for fluxing.

Synthetic two stroke oil or any of the similar products sold by members here work best for sprue plate and alignment pin lubing.

Boolit lube and waxes tend to get burnt and dirty up the mould.

Gohon
08-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I just use permatex silver anti-seize. Won't harden or cake on unless one gets over 1600 degrees. Wipes off easily if the mold needs cleaning. An 8 ounce bottle will last you a life time. For fluxing the only thing I use is paint stir sticks that are free at most hardware stores.