PDA

View Full Version : Accurizer?

joatmon
07-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Over the years I've thought often of getting one of these but always han the nagging question, could wacking on the thing set off the priming compound?
Never seeing one up close and personal I have to ask why dosen't it go bang?
I've never heard of one going off. What am I missing?

Aaron

375RUGER
07-28-2012, 10:28 AM
do a search for paco I remember some discussion about it here sometime back + there are threads about other mods to 22 shells

buck1
07-29-2012, 08:27 PM
I have had one for quite a wile no booms yet. If you held it baddly crooked it might go off.

uscra112
07-29-2012, 08:47 PM
There's a much better way to swage the bullet nose, using a die that goes in your reloading press. Hammering, even lightly, is impossible to do consistently enough.

Yes, swaging them a bit in a properly sized die does improve accuracy, by a noticeable amount. It will not make Thunderduds behave like match ammo, but it improves MiniMags by enough that my stock 10/22 is no longer a 5 MOA shotgun, but a 1 MOA rifle.

Check out this thread, starting at Post #22.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=111860&highlight=Paco+tool&page=2
The tool on the right I duplicated using an old die for a body and some parts made on a small bench lathe. The key is having a .225 reamer to make the sizing bore correctly. I used a .22 centerfire throating reamer I had handy.

Also this on Rimfire Central: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311814
I think this system, while very neatly made, is overly complex. My own design has only four parts to be made on the lathe.

joatmon
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks all going now to check it out.
Aaron

**oneshot**
07-30-2012, 09:46 AM
I use a DRock tool. It is used in a reloading press or an arbor press. It is really consistent. I use it mostly to make flat point hunting bullets. In the process of making the flat point it also "adjusts" the diameter. Combining the two gives me great results.

Wayne Smith
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I still have no idea how he did it, but Arisaka99 (Chris) managed to set one off in mine. Everything was contained in the tool. Scared him, but no damage. I use mine with an arbor press, much more consistent than with a mallet.