PDA

View Full Version : Murphy helped me with my first cast boolit rifle loads!

bgokk
07-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Murphy’s Law results. (Solutions to follow.)
1. Murphy Law: When using RCBS .30/30 dies to make a dummy round to set OAL for checking fit and function in the Savage 340, the boolit jams on the crimp shoulder and sticks in the die.[smilie=b:
2. Murphy Law: As everyone on this site knows all standard die sets are made to load J word bullets and the neck expander button is too small for real Boolits.
3. Murphy Law: Never start to load something new in previously sized and primed cases. (see 2. and more to link to this)
4. Murphy Law: No bell or flare to help start bullet straight. (see 1., 2. and 3.):oops:
5. Murphy Law: If you figure out how to crimp or remove the flare, you don’t have, you will need to have all the cases the same length HaHa! (see 2.):groner:
That’s enough of this Murphy bull.
I used a Lee decapping die to remove the primers and a Lee case trimmer to trim to the same length. Had to remove the primers to trim, because the shell holder for my Wilson trimmer is for fired cases (see 2.)
I took the neck expander from my Lee 7.62x39 dies and put it in the Lee Universal Decapping die and adjusted the die so that the case entered just enough to expand the neck. (see 2.):confused:
I used a Lee Universal Flaring Die to put a slight bell to aid straight seating. (see 4.)
I used the Lee hand primer to re prime the cases. (see 3.)
I ran the seater stem down almost as far as it would go in the RCBS seating die and this allowed me to seat the boolit and not then pull it when I lowered the case. (see 1.):roll:
I still had a problem that I first thought was going to cancel my test load project. How to remove the flare?
I made a spacer from an old socket by drilling it out large enough to allow it to sit on the shell holder and trimmed the length to strike the collet base of the Lee factory crimp die which came in the 7.62x39 set. (see 5.):redneck: Pic included.
The boolit I am loading is the NOE 311407 Mod. From the group buy.
As Larry the Cable Guy said: “Git ‘er done!”:redneck:

Mk42gunner
07-27-2012, 06:06 PM
What diameter are your boolits? I have loaded .313" Lee 312-195 with my RCBS .30-30 dies without problems. I flared the case neck with the expander from a set of RCBS .30 Carbine dies.

Robert

quack1
07-27-2012, 08:03 PM
An easier way to remove the flare is to remove the primer punch/expander button stem from your sizing die and run the loaded round in until it bumps the neck portion. It doesn't take much of a bump to flatten out the flare. You could also use a trigger pull scale hooked to the operating arm of your press to get the same amount of "bump" each time for consistency.

geargnasher
07-27-2012, 09:15 PM
I thought you were referring to the other Murphy. He could have helped you figger it out right away.

Gear

1Shirt
08-05-2012, 09:44 AM
My axiam to Murphy's law is "Murphy was an optomist!"
1Shirt!

runfiverun
08-05-2012, 12:04 PM
yeah, marc woulda skipped all the first steps.

Murphy
08-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Look, I ain't that hard to find dagnabit!

I could'a saved you from all that if you'd uh' just asked :coffeecom

Met my friend the Tinsel Fairy yet?

Murphy

bgokk
08-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Met my friend the Tinsel Fairy yet?

Murphy

Not yet I have been very careful. Had some bubbling from my stir stick a couple'a times and that made things sort'a draw up. lol!

frkelly74
08-05-2012, 08:43 PM
The lessons learned the hard way tend to be remembered best.

1Shirt
08-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Murph, Where have you been guy! Miss the threads from Iadbell!
1Shirt!:bigsmyl2:

Murphy
08-06-2012, 11:24 PM
1Shirt,

Summer time, I lay low and don't do much. Seem's I'd spend more time on this contraption. Gunbroker is good, and it's bad....bad, bad, bad! I find the darndest things I didn't need.

Murphy

geargnasher
08-07-2012, 12:09 AM
If I were up there right now, Murphy, I'd have dug me a 30-ft deep hole and set up housekeeping in the bottom of it, with a good shade over the top and a sprinkler going. I thought we had some heat, but it looks like you're getting most of ours right now.

Gear

Murphy
08-07-2012, 07:36 AM
gearnasher,

We've had a pretty warm one so far this year. Fire's in the middle of the state seem to be one of the biggest concerns. To worsen matters, some sick'o was seen lighting newspaper and tossing it out the window of a black pickup starting more.

As for the heat in general, we've not done bad this year as compared to last. Last year was one of the worse I can recall in many years. I only mowed my lawn 3 times and that was it. Thank the Good Lord we've had more this year. A lot of folks in my area are dependent on grass for their cattle operations, and we have a fair amount of farm land as well.

We got a break yesterday, had a nice shower in my area and it brought things down to a nice and cool 97 degree's.

Murphy