PDA

View Full Version : Coleman stove safety?

ShooterAZ
07-27-2012, 05:15 PM
How much lead (in pounds) do you guys think a Coleman stove (Kerosene) stove can SAFELY handle? I need to do some smelting, but I am concerned about the weight. Last time I did in in 20lb batches in a dutch oven, but it was pretty time consuming as I did multiple batches. Whatcha think?

skeettx
07-27-2012, 05:41 PM
20 pound sounds about right

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=828

Longone
07-27-2012, 06:22 PM
It will handle 20 lbs. no problem, I have used mine for many years now with a 10" dia. pot.

Longone

imashooter2
07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I've done a couple thousand pounds 40 at a time in a 2.5 quart stainless sauce pan before I moved to a Turkey fryer. The grate on my two burner stove is still flat and I wouldn't hesitate to do 40 pounds again tomorrow.

mold maker
07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I've bent the cooking grid on 2 gasoline fired Colemans. It's a shame to get in such a hurry, you ruin your equipment. I was trying to use a dutch oven in place of the small Lyman pot I started with. I probably had close to 60 lbs including the pot.
A turkey/fish fryer can usually be bought on sale for around $30. It's a good investment.

markinalpine
07-27-2012, 07:41 PM
I've done a couple thousand pounds 40 at a time in a 2.5 quart stainless sauce pan before I moved to a Turkey fryer. The grate on my two burner stove is still flat and I wouldn't hesitate to do 40 pounds again tomorrow.

DITTO!

Mark :coffee:

Longwood
07-27-2012, 07:51 PM
I've bent the cooking grid on 2 gasoline fired Colemans. It's a shame to get in such a hurry, you ruin your equipment. I was trying to use a dutch oven in place of the small Lyman pot I started with. I probably had close to 60 lbs including the pot.
A turkey/fish fryer can usually be bought on sale for around $30. It's a good investment.

Mine gets red hot and flexible when I run the strove on high.
I jammed a piece of angle iron under the grill that is long enough to reach across between the sides of the stove.