PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Manuals

barkerwc4362
07-27-2012, 07:15 AM
I recently took the plunge and started to get back into reloading for my 20 gauges. I have a Red Label and a Remington 870 with multiple barrels (including a rifled barrel for slugs) and chokes. I now have multiple MEC loaders for the various loads and wanted to start loading my own slugs. I purchased new reference manuals from Ballistic Products since they seemed to have a good variety to include their slug manual. In my opinion their slug manual is not worth the money. It only covers the slugs they sell and in 20 gauge that is one slug. Load data for that is even very limited. I also picked up their Advantages 5th edition which is okay. Not the end all. It give you some more options, but in 20 gauge, not as many as I was expecting. The other thing to know is that it is based upon what they sell, not what is available from other vendors. I also picked up a Lyman 5th edition to go along with my 2nd and 3rd editions. Yes it has been a while! I am getting ready to order one of Ballistic Products brass crimp starters for the new Cheddite 3"s I ordered. I am getting ready to order the Lee 575-470M. I still need some Commander wads.

Bill

oldandslow
07-27-2012, 09:10 AM
b4, 7/27/12

When I started casting and loading my own 12 gauge slugs I also had trouble finding information from unbiased sources regarding slug type and load. Using the search function both here and at the Shotgunworld.com website gave a wealth of info from people who had tried a number of different types of slugs and loads. If you're like a lot of us it may be frustrating trying to find that perfect slug that shoots well in your shotgun. Once you do everything becomes good again.
I tried a number of saboted slugs in a smoothbore 870 and couldn't get the accuracy and consistency I wanted. When switching to fullbore slugs, both in smoothbore and rifled barrels I finally found the loads that worked for me (used for pigs from 10-50 yards). If you take a look at the Accurate Molds website he had a number of heavy fullbore slugs listed for 12 gauge and I imagine the same is true for 20 gauge. It's as simple as slugging your rifled barrel and ordering the appropriate mold and then finding a load that has been tested and is safe. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

TRG3
07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
While I haven't loaded 20 gauge slugs, I have worked up accurate (3"@50 yards) loads for both the Lee and Lyman molds. As you work to develop loads, don't forget the roundball which gave me 1" groups at 50 yards and accounted for a couple of does last deer season.