PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 39A Mountie ???

Bardo
07-27-2012, 01:30 AM
I have a few questions on this gun. I just picked this up and it seems to be in nice clean condition and was made in 1969. But it has a few issues the first is it jams when feeding on about every third round. The nose of the bullet hit right below the barrel. The inside of the gun is very clean and I lightly oiled everything. Also the magazine tube is clean. But I have never owned one of these, I have owned a few older 336 in 30-30. Next the firing pin sticks out but I can push it in and it stays in. Is this normal? Or am I missing a spring. The gun fires and extracts great. One other thing any recommendations on sights? I have a older lyman 66la Steel sight that is in great shape I was going to put on, but I was also looking at the skinner peep. What would you recomend for a front sight. I have used the globe sights before but is that to much on a 20" barrel? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks, Bardo

Double click on image to enlarge.

wildwilly
07-27-2012, 01:25 PM
I can't offer any suggestions regarding open sights. I own two 39s and prefer the original sights. Try different ammunition, perhaps you're not fully cycling the lever. Try cycling the action when the rifle is apart. That might reveal whether you need to replace worn parts. Through thousands of rounds I have never experienced feeding issues with either of my rifles.

I forgot to mention....the floating firing pin is a normal condition.

Bardo
07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I have tried several different kinds of 22's from solids to hollowpoints. a couple different federal and 4 different cci and 3 remingtons. I even tried some shorts and those totally locked everything up- I had to take the gun apart. any other ideas? I may leave the original sights on if it shots good enough. I have a winchester model 61 that has the original sights and i really like it.

Bardo

paul h
07-27-2012, 02:08 PM
I picked up a mountie a few years back and it's also had some issues. In the case of my gun, the gun wouldn't fire, as the firing pin was broken, and it would jam when feeding, but at the top of the barrel.

As to the firing pin, there is no rebounding srping, so when you push it in, it stays forward. As to jamming, there is a spring that mounts on the top of the action that guides the bullet into the chamber, it was missing on my gun. I'm thinking the reason your gun is having the bullets "nose dive" is that the feed spring on your gun is tweaked and guiding the bullets the wrong way.

I'd suggest getting a new cartridge guide spring, The guide spring is available from Brownell’s. The part no. is 550-302-294WB, Cartridge Guide Spring
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=283/schematicsdetail/39A

Can't help on the irons as I've scoped my rifle. The 39's have a solid reputation for great accuracy, and my rifle hasn't disapointed in that regard.

gbrown
07-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Just got thru taking a Golden 39A down for refinishing. I mean all the way down. Should not be that much difference between my rifle and yours. Go to Brownell's and I think there is an "exploded" view of all of the parts. If not, google it up or find an old NRA book on Firearm Dissassembly. There is a bullet guide on mine on the inner left side of the receiver. Check and see if yours is there or broken. Open the action and look straight in--it should be facing the eject port. Also, there is no spring on my bolt group, except one that fits into the bolt top, itself. I am not sure of its function. A flat, S shaped that is held in by friction. I thought I had dropped a spring when

Bardo
07-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I think it is fixed. I just went and shot a couple hundred rounds through it. It liked everything but the swc designs. There was a sharp edge on the bolt that pushes it in the chamber. I filed the edge so it wasn't sharp and it seemed to fix it. Man this thing seems to hit what ever you point it to. I'm still not sure about what I'm going to do with the sights.

Bardo

pipehand
07-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Years ago I had a 39A, and sold it because I prefer straight grip stocks. A couple of years ago I found a mountie made in '76 for $300 and snapped it up. The stock on mine is not as nice as yours, but I expect to ding them up a little anyway. I had saved the Lyman receiver sight I had taken off the 39A and put it and an XS front post on it and unscrewed the aperature from the rear sight. Its like my Guide Gun has an understudy. So far no mechanical problems.

gbrown
07-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Mine is a shooter. Haven't shot it at 100yds, but anything under that and it's on, once the sights are adjusted. My grandson (9) loves to shoot it and at 25 and 50, hits swingers and clay pigeons consistently. Mine was made in '73 and was messed up (in appearance) when I got it. Redid the stock and put a parkerized finish on it.

pietro
07-28-2012, 10:15 AM
I'd normally recommend the Skinner peep sight - but only for guns with a factory prep (D/T).
It doesn't look like your gun is D/T'd for scope mounts - a pre-requisite for dropping on a Skinner; and If it were my Mountie, I wouldn't be D/T'n it anytime soon.

Since the gun should be already factory prepped on the LH rear receiver wall for a side-mounted peep sight, I'd say mount the Lyman and shoot the snot out of it.

W.R.Buchanan
07-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Bardo: I just installed a 66LA on my M39AS. See my thread "Marlin 39A upgrades" in this section, there is pics of the gun.

There is one small thing you may need to do to get the sight base to sit flat on the receiver. There are two screws that hold the ejector in the receiver. The head on the rear one must be below the surface of the receiver in order for the sight base to sit flat. I had to make my screw head a little thinner in order for this to happen. just a thought and something to look for.

The peep sight is night and day difference in accuracy. I am still using the original front sight with the hood removed. I would like to install an XS front sight with the white verticle line, as they are the easiest sight to pick up out there.

These guns are noted for being very accurate .22's. and they should be as new price is $679!

You done good scoring a Mountie. It is the one I wanted but never found.

Randy

HDS
07-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I'd normally recommend the Skinner peep sight - but only for guns with a factory prep (D/T).
It doesn't look like your gun is D/T'd for scope mounts - a pre-requisite for dropping on a Skinner; and If it were my Mountie, I wouldn't be D/T'n it anytime soon.

Since the gun should be already factory prepped on the LH rear receiver wall for a side-mounted peep sight, I'd say mount the Lyman and shoot the snot out of it.

Looks to me like there are some holes on the top of the receiver in those pictures?

Hurricane
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
The mountie is the 39M instead of 39A. If it is drilled and tapped for the scope rail (two holes one in back and one in front on the receiver) you can mount a Skinner Sight in the back hole. The Skinner Sight is a very compact and a good sight. It is adjustable for both windage and vertical adjustment. The Williams and Lyman peep sights are also a good choice. They also have more adjustment capability than the Skinner Sight. One thing to try to improve the feeding is to make sure the screw holding the lever is firmly put in. You need to take down the rifle to get to the lever holding screw. With a good fitting screwdriver make the screw is firmly put in. Tightening up the lever screw solved a feeding problem for me. I now have loc-tite on that screw.

Bardo
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
The mountie is the 39M instead of 39A. If it is drilled and tapped for the scope rail (two holes one in back and one in front on the receiver) you can mount a Skinner Sight in the back hole. The Skinner Sight is a very compact and a good sight. It is adjustable for both windage and vertical adjustment. The Williams and Lyman peep sights are also a good choice. They also have more adjustment capability than the Skinner Sight. One thing to try to improve the feeding is to make sure the screw holding the lever is firmly put in. You need to take down the rifle to get to the lever holding screw. With a good fitting screwdriver make the screw is firmly put in. Tightening up the lever screw solved a feeding problem for me. I now have loc-tite on that screw.

Mine actualy says 39A MOUNTIE. I should be getting the skinner peep today or tommorow and the lyman globe front sight. I will look at that lever screw. It is feeding great now. I really like how this gun feels.

Bardo

stronics
08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Don't do anything, just look through the sights, it is so pretty.
David

Hurricane
08-02-2012, 08:08 AM
you can mount a Skinner Sight in the back hole

My mistake. The Skinner 39 sight uses two screws to hold it in place. The base is long enough for the 39 to use both the front and back holes.

Bardo
08-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Just put the Skinner peep on and the Lyman front sight. Also put a sight slot blank in where the old rear sight was. Now I have to go out and sight it in.

Bardo

Double click on image to enlarge

Artful
08-06-2012, 08:20 PM
That's a keeper for sure.