PDA

View Full Version : New Reloader and Caster Question

DukeOfRoosters
07-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Hello everyone, I have been lurking on this forum and others for awhile to learn more about the art of reloading. I recently took the plunge and have put together a basic reloading and bullet casting setup.

If I am asking questions that have already been answered, please direct me to the appropriate thread. I attempted to search but didnt find the answers I was looking for.

My goal at this time is to be able to cast bullets and reload 8mm mauser ammunition. After I have become proficient in one caliber I'll expand to cover some of my other favorites.

After searching online and browsing through some literature I am still confused about bullet design. I'd like to keep things cheap and avoid gas checking the 8mm Mauser ammo. I realize that pressures and speeds will have to be kept low to avoid leading. Will I be able to seat and crimp bullets cast with a gas check mold properly without gas checks? It seems that most of the molds I've found cast bullets for gas checks. I'm open to mold recommendations. I plan to eventually buy a bullet sizer, however at this point I do not own one and would prefer to keep this first batch of bullets close to the recommended size. The rifle these bullets will be shot from is a refurb'd yugo m24/47. The barrel looks brand new, with sharp lands and shiney.

I'll post pictures of my newly constructed reloading bench and mish mash of equipment when I can get the camera from my fiancé.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide.

largom
07-26-2012, 07:37 PM
First you did not state the purpose your ammo will be used for. Hunting, target, plinking or what. Second, if you use boolits designed for a gas check then use one, other-wise you will more than likely get bore leading unless your velocities are very low. You will also need to determine your throat and groove diameter. I would suggest you acquire the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. This book and this forum will get you going

By the way, Welcome aboard

Larry

koehn,jim
07-26-2012, 07:43 PM
WElcome aboard. Largom hit some very good points let me add that you need to run a slug thru the bore to get a diam of the lands and grooves, its pretty simple to do and will tell you a lot. Once you know the diameter go to the section on bullets you want to try and I am sure there is someone who will send you some for the cost of postage and lead. Than its ask questions and have fun. Its the boolit exchange area in Swaping and selling.

Cherokee
07-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Welcome Duke - I don't load 8mm so can't help there. You do need to slug the bore but until you have a sizer, your are stuck with whatever the mould produces.

DukeOfRoosters
07-26-2012, 08:09 PM
I plan on using the bullets for plinking and casual target shooting. There is a bucket of wheel weights in the garage that are in the process of being melted down and cleaned of some impurities.

I planned on keeping the speed and pressures pretty low to avoid leading. I just tried to run a slug through the bore of my mauser and didnt have great success. I'm gonna look for a different size sinker or lead ball set, as the sinker I just tried to use was not the appropriate size. Flattening it a bit wasnt working either.

If I buy a mold that allows for gas checks, will I have difficulty using it without them? I've read mixed reports about gas blow-by and poor accuracy.

300winmag
07-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Hang on to you wallet and put in some overtime. Have a good time and be safe. Read!!!! Read!!!! Read!!!!

DukeOfRoosters
07-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I've got the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook next to me and have been skimming/reading it. Lots of good info in there.

07-26-2012, 09:54 PM
The Cast Boolit archive: If a cast boolit answer isn't there, the question has never been asked: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php

I don't like spending money unnecessarily, however I'd rather buy gas checks than, possibly, have to remove leading from a rifle barrel.

runfiverun
07-26-2012, 11:05 PM
in our vendor section there is a guy named blammer.
or under dj's corner.
he handles gas checks from gator checks.
they are reasonably priced [like 10 dollars cheaper per 1,000 than hornady]
now, if you have a good fit you can shoot without gas checks but your velocity will be in the 900-1200 range.
with gas checks you'll be in the 1900 fps range.

mpmarty
07-27-2012, 12:27 AM
All my molds have gas check shoulders and I never use gas checks. 308 Winchester, 7.5 Swiss and 45/70 all do just fine at high-moderate velocities without any leading at all.

Bret4207
07-27-2012, 06:41 AM
There is a great big whole section down the page titled "GAS CHECKS". Start there for info on shooting GC designs w.o a GC. You'll be happier WITH the GC.