PDA

View Full Version : Lead hunt, good news and bad news

Patrick L
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Well, there's bad news and good news.

First off, I took the steel WW and zinc WW from my recent sorting (about 3/4 of a 5 gallon pail of steel, maybe about 1 gallon of zinc) plus a box of shot out cartridge brass to the same scrapper I have dealt with for years. I got $58 for my stuff. Unfortunately, they can't sell lead anymore (lots of other stuff too I think, but the lead is what I care about.) City ordinance.

Went to another scrap yard in a neighboring town. They don't sell, just buy. Period. The guy was very nice about it though, and suggested another outfit just up the road.

These guys were very nice. Lead sold for .75 a pound. While I would never pay that outright, I figured I had the $58 from my steel and zinc, so I figured I'd get about 80# and break even. They had a lead bin and a 55 gal drum of wheelweights. I went with the wheelweights, since they were right near the door. I ended up with an even hundred pounds for an outlay of $12 out of pocket. I was good with that. As a bonus, they just turned me loose in the barrel with my own 5 gal pail, so I was able to semi sort as I went. I'm sure some steel and zinc got in, but not much, and I was scarfing up those long 4-5" truck wheelweights like candy. 100# was just about one full bucket (actually 2 half buckets, as I'm too old and lazy to try lifting one full bucket.)

So I sort of scored today, but I'm definitely worried about the future. Living in the Peolpe's Republik of New York sort of sucks from this standpoint. I think I am going to try for a lifetime supply NOW, and if I die with a half ton of metal in the garage it will be my wife's problem. I'm sure some of you guys will help her out.

Adk Mike
07-26-2012, 06:05 PM
I also life in upstate NY. Some times I wonder why ? I keep my eyes open and lead seems to come my way. Lead sheeting and old pipe my last find. New wheel weights in NY are only Zinc so they will dry up for sure. I just keep looking its out there. Mike

Old Ranger
07-26-2012, 06:40 PM
I live in Central Ontario. Have got a source for about a 5 gal pail a month. Finding a few zinc and steel weights lately. Have what should be a life time supply put away. Also have a few lbs of tin stashed as well. Just started hunting down pewter as an alterate source of tin. Lead free solder is over 20 bucks a lb up here now (.5kg) Scored a couple lbs of pewter on weekend for less than 10 bucks. My understanding is that it is over 90% tin. Makes a neat sound when bent!

merlin101
07-27-2012, 06:36 PM
I live in NY too and have a hard time getting WW. I did get a couple pounds of fired bullets out of a rotted tree stump the other day, the wife stood there thinking I'm nuts.
Where in NY are you guys? I have a guy here in Rochester that will sell the nuclear medicine contaniers for $1 a lb. good clean lead but I like a deal.

zomby woof
07-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I live in Ogden, just west of Rochester.

Adk Mike
07-28-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm just North of Saratoga.

dsbock
07-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm in Eastern NY (Rensselaer County) and a local garage collects wheel weights for me. Most of them are zinc now. I'm also going to ask my dentist about x-ray lead.

I occasionally do some work in Vermont. I'll have to start looking there as well.

Finding lead just isn't easy anymore.

David

WILCO
07-28-2012, 06:46 PM

Well, that's true in some respects, but it's not in others. I always find lead at the range. I've told some folks that I'm looking for it. I even paid a buck or two for a few pounds of it. It's out there in some form or another.

Lead Freak
07-28-2012, 08:14 PM
........I think I am going to try for a lifetime supply NOW, and if I die with a half ton of metal in the garage it will be my wife's problem. I'm sure some of you guys will help her out.

Tell yer wife that I'd be mighty greatful if'n she'd let me know when yer time is up. I'd be more than happy to drive the ole pickup from Florida to clean out the garage for her. If she lets me know soon enough, I might evens see you at the visitation.

RKJ
07-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Tell yer wife that I'd be mighty greatful if'n she'd let me know when yer time is up. I'd be more than happy to drive the ole pickup from Florida to clean out the garage for her. If she lets me know soon enough, I might evens see you at the visitation.

Ya see, That is the kind of folks that are on this site. Kind, caring people. I'd bet that LF would even take those old dirty presses away and would dispose of the firearms too. Just to help out. I'm starting to get tears in my eyes just thinking of it. :) Good luck finding more lead, maybe check the local ranges? Hope you find you some more.

runfiverun
07-29-2012, 02:38 PM
if you talk to the scrap yard you bought those ww's from quite often you cang get a better price if you buy a ton instead of a few lbs.
i was able to swing ww's for 40 cents a lb. [all lead]
and linotype for 65 cents a lb
and block tin for 8.00 a lb
by getting 2k lbs.
by digging through thier scrap lead bin [40 cents a lb] i was able to score some cable sheathing,
a shower pan,and some lino-type spacers.
i really like the scrap bin :lol:
they sell off and on so i have to call and accept yes or no [shrug] then be ready and get after it if it's a yes.

dsbock
07-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Well, that's true in some respects, but it's not in others. I always find lead at the range. I've told some folks that I'm looking for it. I even paid a buck or two for a few pounds of it. It's out there in some form or another.

I've told some people what I'm looking for, including a pipe-fitter. So far, lead is just scarce compared to years past. Most of the ranges around me don't allow backstop mining except by their crews.

Partially this is because of the drive in New York state to get rid of all the "icky" lead for the children and partially because the rate of return at scrap metal places is higher.

Most of the lead is still out there, it's just harder to find these days.

David

Patrick L
08-01-2012, 03:13 PM
dsbock,

I feel you are mostly correct about that. We are all nervous and panicky, but it is out there still, even in NY state. Yesterday I scored a free 5 gal pail, about 2/3 full. It was at a private, mom and pop type place. A few hours earlier I passed on a pail at a big chain type place that wanted $50 for a bucket.

I guess you just have to be willing to stop and talk, be polite even if they say no, and expect to get some nos. Its like asking women out, even for a guy like me some are bound to say yes.

canyon-ghost
08-01-2012, 08:23 PM
and if I die with a half ton of metal in the garage it will be my wife's problem.

A half ton? 1000 pounds? Aw, shucks, it only takes a half day to move that much. It's not a problem. You have a problem when there's several tons and no forklift!

mold maker
08-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I put a 2000lb crain on my pickup for that very reason. Well old age had something to do with it also. Now it just whistles in the wind, cause I seldom get more than 15-20 lbs at a time.