PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an antique S&W top break BP revolver

Spokerider
07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Wondering what is the best method to clean this old antique revolver after shooting BP loads?

I'm not wanting to submerge in water, as the lock mechanism is behind a cover screwed to the frame, and water is sure to get trapped in there. Not wanting to re and re the cover with every cleaning either.

Thoughts?

hightime
07-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't know , but I'd like to see your gun.

Owen

L Ross
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
My wife and I shot several old top breaks with BP and a round ball over a greased felt wad. Just used Ballistol diluted 1 to 10 with water on patches on a jag. Wipe off all exterior surfaces with the same solution, wipe dry, then a rag wet with straight Ballistol. The BP fouling doesn't get into the innards I don't even know where that idea got started. I never soak any of my guns and none of them have any rust or rust damage.

Duke

John Boy
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Wondering what is the best method to clean this old antique revolver after shooting BP loads?
Same way one can clean another modern original or replica revolver:
* Buy a hand steam cleaner -http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/c8/c8574ece-24e3-4eef-984c-b569ec7eddee_300.jpg
* I clean all my revolvers: Rugers - Colts and Remingtons with one and the grips are never removed
* A patch down the cylinder throats and bore to remove any excess moisture
* Air dry the guns with a blow gun
* A drop of Eezox in the trigger assembly - on the ejector rod - on the hand and loading gates, if applicable
* Eezox patches down the throats & bore
* Wipe firearm outside with a shop rag coated with Eezox
Same revolvers have been cleaned the same way for 10 years with no rust or mechanical issues

DONE

Tatume
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi John,

Eezox is the best! Fabulous stuff! Would you happen to know how to pronounce it? (I'm guessing E Z Ox).

Take care, Tom

Springfield
07-26-2012, 06:04 PM
I pour the water/Murphy's oil mix through the barrel and over the fouled areas, but I never submerge the gun. Then oil it well with Break-free when done. Works on all of my S&W breaktops.

John Boy
07-26-2012, 07:47 PM
(I'm guessing E Z Ox).
Tom - a play on words that works ... Ease ...Socks. Now repeat after me ... Ease ...Socks :-D

07-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Any water based solution. Today I did a rifle with that eco friendly stuff ? Solvent Green, or some such diluted by about 10 / 15 times as much water. Worked great. For enclosed things like a revolver, I'd clean it, spray inside with Kroil and blow it out with compressed air.

"Simple Greeen"

13Echo
07-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Someday you are going to have to take it apart to get to the lockworks. Fouling will get in there no matter how careful you are and no manner of flushing it out will ever get it all.

Jerry Liles

sharps4590
07-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm going to have to agree with 13Echo. Fouling will find its way to the innards. After about every 3-5 firings of my Colts and Colt clones I disassemble them completely and there is always fouling inside. I'm not about to say flushing them out won't work, evidently it does as many do just that. I'm just anal enough that I don't want anything in there over an extended period of time.

nwellons
07-28-2012, 08:04 AM
I clean my 1890 Tula copy of the S&W with Ballistol and then with Hoppes #9. After shooting it and cleaning it on dozens of occasions, I looked inside and it was dry, clean, and rust-free. I shoot mine with reduced BP loads topped by a grease cookie and pure lead boolit.

Spokerider
07-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all of the tips. Up until now, I've been shooting Triple 7 and W231 powders, but have reconsidered this and want to shoot BP loads only. This also means I will need to modify my gun cleaning methods.......

I'll look for Balistol, Kroil, Eezox or similar product to use.

hightime
07-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Well you didn't show a picture of your top break.

Owen

freedomlives
08-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Interesting...

How much of a headache is it to remove that cover and look at the lock-work? Ever since my experience with trying to get an NAA mini-revolver back together, I've been wary of opening up revolvers...

nwellons
08-25-2012, 08:26 AM
I used a gunsmith screwdriver and it opened up very easily.