PDA

View Full Version : Nu-finish tip

Ickisrulz
07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Like many people here I add Nu-Finish car wax to my tumbling media. Perhaps because of the media I use (corncob blasting media), I end up with clumps that just refuse to go away no matter how long I pre-tumble before adding brass. I do not believe I am using too much wax.

I have found that saturating a piece of paper towel with the wax, which I then add to the media, eliminates the clumps. I still pre-tumble to mix the wax in with the media.

GabbyM
07-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Put the cases in and the clumps will go away in an hour or so.

Hardcast416taylor
07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I let the tumbler run for about 15 min. to mix the Nu-Finish then put the brass in.Robert

Ickisrulz
07-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Put the cases in and the clumps will go away in an hour or so.

I have found clumps inside cases.

Longwood
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I have found clumps inside cases.

If you are not cleaning any 17 caliber stuff, BB's are a good additive that helps speed things up and clean the inside of cases better.
Cheap and can be used over and over.
I like Nu-Finish but I also add a buffing compound of some sort.
Walmart sells several good metal polishes in the automotive section.

Jack Stanley
07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Wouldn't thinning it with something before adding to the media help any ?

Jack

Ickisrulz
07-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Wouldn't thinning it with something before adding to the media help any ?

Jack

I've read where some people do.

0verkill
07-25-2012, 03:44 PM
What materials are good thinners with NuFinish?

kbstenberg
07-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I also use Nu-finish. But it seems like the brass has a lot more black burnt powder residue after shooting it.
Kevin

1hole
07-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Nu-Finish is a paint polish, it's not a wax - there's a huge difference in that the 'active' ingredient IS a buffing compound; most folks use far too much of it and then keep adding more. If we sorta dribble it in as the tumbler is running it won't clump much and will soon disperse, let it run/mix until any clumps are totally broken up before adding any cases and it won't wad up inside.

You can thin the stuff with cheap mineral spirits, aka 'oderless paint thinner', from Walmart.

CuZ
07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
If you are not cleaning any 17 caliber stuff, BB's are a good additive that helps speed things up and clean the inside of cases better.
Cheap and can be used over and over.

I had considered trying the stainless steel pins I've read so much about; but this sounds like a great idea! Thanks.

Ickisrulz
07-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Nu-Finish is a paint polish, it's not a wax - there's a huge difference in that the 'active' ingredient IS a buffing compound; most folks use far too much of it and then keep adding more. If we sorta dribble it in as the tumbler is running it won't clump much and will soon disperse, let it run/mix until any clumps are totally broken up before adding any cases and it won't wad up inside.

You can thin the stuff with cheap mineral spirits, aka 'oderless paint thinner', from Walmart.

I'm just relating my experience adding Nu-finish to my media and my tumbler. If dribbling and pre-tumbling works for some great. It doesn't work for me and I'm trying to help anyone else that has trouble with clumping.

I have run the tumbler for hours after adding 1/2 cap and still have clumps.

dragon813gt
07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Putting on a nitrile glove and using your hand to break up the clump works for me. I get the biggest clumps from the mineral spirits. If you run it long enough you won't have any hardened media in your cases.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Kilroy08
07-25-2012, 07:14 PM
An ounce or two of mineral spirits usually does the trick. With the Nu Finish and mineral spirits, my brass looks like new.

Roosters
07-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Good tip LONGWOOD.

I also use Nu-finish. But it seems like the brass has a lot more black burnt powder residue after shooting it.

I have noticed that to Kevin.

Jack Stanley
07-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Nu Finish is a polish , that said , would something like thinned turtle wax be any better for putting a shine/preservative on finished ammo in the tumbler ?

In the past , I've cleaned cases with a bit of Rooster shine in corn cob with the big Dillon polisher . Loaded ammo that has been treated that way then gets a ride in the big tumbler . I use one of the orange cleaner sprays to moisten the media a little for dust control and last little cleanup of fingerprints/smudges/etc . It works well but maybe a little wax would help in the last tumble ?

Jack

Bill*
07-25-2012, 10:08 PM
I pour out a bit of nu-finish on a piece of plastic (like coffee can lid), let it dry, then scrape the powder into the media. It mixes right in as a powder. It's like adding jewelers rouge, it's the powder that does the job, not the liquid carrier

RKJ
07-26-2012, 08:28 AM
I pour out a bit of nu-finish on a piece of plastic (like coffee can lid), let it dry, then scrape the powder into the media. It mixes right in as a powder. It's like adding jewelers rouge, it's the powder that does the job, not the liquid carrier

That is a good idea. I've put Nu-finish in with cases and get a very hard residue on a few of he cases. A brass brush knocks it off but it's a pain. I'm going to try the BB trick too. Thanks for the ideas guys.

frankenfab
07-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I just use my fingers to break up the clumps.

Kicker96fs
07-29-2012, 09:31 AM
I have had the same problems, clumps, clumps inside the cases.

I really like the ideas of soaking a paper towel and the other one of letting it dry and scrape the now powder into the tumbler!

Great ideas guys! Thanks!

07-29-2012, 09:42 AM
When I finish a load in the tumbler, I add the Nu-Finish and it dries on top of the media. When it comes time to use, I mix it around with a few hand movements and add the brass. No clumps. When the load of brass is done, repeat.

jcwit
07-29-2012, 11:11 AM
When I finish a load in the tumbler, I add the Nu-Finish and it dries on top of the media. When it comes time to use, I mix it around with a few hand movements and add the brass. No clumps. When the load of brass is done, repeat.

No need to add polish ie: Nu-Finish every tumbler fill. A capfull will polish 5 to 8 loads of brass.

With the amount you're using try putting in a used dryer towel to remove dust which in your case is more than likely extra polish.

Hardcast416taylor
07-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I read somewhere about a guy that threw about 20 #8 penny nails in his tumbler and let them bust the clumps before taking them out and putting the brass in.Robert

dragon813gt
07-29-2012, 01:48 PM
No need to add polish ie: Nu-Finish every tumbler fill. A capfull will polish 5 to 8 loads of brass.

That is very subjective and I can prove it correct and wrong. With dirty range pickups I have found that it takes less time if I add the polish every time. With cases that were clean, fired and never hit the ground I don't have to add the polish every time. It really depends on how dirty the brass is.

David2011
07-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Another vote for adding some mineral spirits to the corncob and Nu-Finish. Just a tablespoon or two, and it keeps the dust down as well as making the brass look good. I think, subjectively, that it may reduce the time it takes to clean and polish as well. I add more Nu-Finish and mineral spirits when I can't smell it any more. "Real scientific" but it works for me.

David

mold maker
07-29-2012, 03:01 PM
The lumps are usually caused by a concentration of polish, as it's added to the media. It's also often, too much added at a time. Allowing it to slowly drizzle into the flowing media, and stirring will usually eliminate the problem. It takes a couple minutes for the polish to disperse into the media.
The only time I had a problem with black residue, it was caused by excess carbon and dirt in the media. Media is cheap, replace it when it gets dusty and dirty.

jcwit
07-29-2012, 08:13 PM
That is very subjective and I can prove it correct and wrong. With dirty range pickups I have found that it takes less time if I add the polish every time. With cases that were clean, fired and never hit the ground I don't have to add the polish every time. It really depends on how dirty the brass is.

Well I guess. I've only been tumbling cases for 30 some years now.

Last time I did any real scroungy brass was 3/4 years ago when a shooting buddy gave me five 5 gal buckets of mixed range brass. Used the method I described.

Course I have no idea what you consider dirty, or clean for that matter.

dragon813gt
07-29-2012, 08:26 PM
All I was saying is that every load is different. People like to say "it takes this much time" and "you need to add this exact quantity of polish." You can't say either just like you can't say you only need to add it after so many tumbles.

I routinely clean in the neighborhood of 5k cases a week. Some look like new but alot are no longer shiny because they were out there a few days. The non shiny ones have benefitted from adding NuFinish. As I'd expect it to since it's an abrasive.

At the end of the day do what works for you. There are plenty of ways to clean brass in a tumbler.

jcwit
07-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Right, I've had cases that have been in the weeds and grass and they look stained, not the same as grass stains on cloths of course, these stains never seem to come out at first, altho usually after a few reloadings and additional runs thru the tumbler they come out OK.