PDA

View Full Version : 9mm mold

mdi
07-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Hey feller casters,
I've just renewed my intrest in 9mm (resurrected a Norinco and bought a new 9mm plastic gun). Have been reloading with FMJ and Berry's plated, but being a dedicated lead shooter, I want to cast some 9mm fodder. I've already got Ideal, Lyman, Lee and one old RCBS mold, 1 to 6 holes, for 38/357, .44, .45, and .30, so I have a little knowledge of casting and molds (not a lot but I try :veryconfu).

My question is which 9mm bullet, shape, weight, etc. is most popular? I'm looking at the Lee 6 banger in 120 gr. T/C standard lube groove, and the 124 gr. T/C tumble lube (I already cast both T/L and standard kinds). Any problems with alox for 9mm pressures/velocities? or 45-45-10? Being an "alternate luber" I don't use a lubersizer and do a lot of pan lubing so that's ok with me also.

Thanks...:cbpour:

GabbyM
07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Go with the Lee standard lube grove. 122-TC. It generally holds enough tumble lube.

Lee’s tumble lube design is problematic in the 9mm case. You can find dozens of threads here concerning problems with it. Issue is the 9mm case is very stiff and it simply swags down the small bands unless you have the case perfectly expanded and sized. Even then you need a harder alloy to stiffen the thin bands IMO.

There is a pretty good sticky thread around here on loading for 9mm.

captaint
07-25-2012, 02:04 PM
mdi - If you want to be CERTAIN your boolits drop out of the mold at .358 or so, you might even look into the MP 359-125 HP. Cost more ?? You bet - but then you only buy it once. JMO enjoy Mike

mdi
07-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks fellers. Sorry, I forgot to look at "searched" stuff. I guess I was just lost in my thoughts. I haven't even slugged the barrel of my new pistol yet and I may be getting ahead of myself...