PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Here Open Flash Holes on Cases?

daddyseal
07-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Just a tiny bit with a drill to make reloaded cases of same caliber from different makers more uniform to increase target grouping accuracy/consistency?

Larry Gibson
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I use the Lyman flash hole deburrer and uniformer on most rfle cases. I also drill flash holes considerably larger (#30 - 28 drills size) on rimless cases with LR pockets to alleviate shoulder setback with cat's sneeze loads.

Larry Gibson

zomby woof
07-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I had some 6.5X55 factory rounds that when I started resizing, the primer pin kept getting stuck in the flash hole. The holes were really small. I can't remember the size but I drilled them out to a more standard. size. I'm still using the brass today.

daddyseal
07-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Great...thank you~
How about handgun brass?

Char-Gar
07-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I use a Sinclair flash hole uniformer to remove the burrs on the inside of the case and to make the flash holes uniform.

I also have played with drilling out some flash holes with a 28 drill to prevent case shoulder set back. I really don't shoot loads that require such a thing and it does not harm with other normal cast bullet loads, but never shoot full snort jacketed loads with these cases. If you do this, make certain and mark the cases so you don't get them confused with other cases not drilled oversized.

For my rifles that I shoot for extreme accuracy, I fire form some cases with full jacketed loads, uniform the flash holes, neck turn the brass, weight and sort the cases and thereafter only neck size.

For loads that do not require exteme accuracy, I just uniform the flash holes and that is that. Just takes a couple of second per case.

BD
07-25-2012, 01:16 PM
+1 on the Lyman tool. I use it on all my rifle cases. In particular any military cases that I've run through the Dillon primer pocket swager as one downside to that process is that it will occasionally crush a "chad" left from the flash hole punch back down onto the flash hole.
BD

wallenba
07-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I pay much more attention to case prep than bullet weight. That said, yes, I deburr flash holes. If I had to do it with a hand tool maybe I would not bother. Since I bought the RCBS case prep center, I just screwed the Lyman tool onto one of the rotary stations and it is right there. I don't however cut the primer pockets. I did that once, and I believe it led to premature pocket enlargement. Primers would not seat after a few loadings.

I think a good analogy exists between cartridge loading and engine building. A primer is like a spark plug, the case is like the cylinder head and cylinder in one. The cylinder head is where most race teams spend a lot of money and attention. The bullet is the piston, powder is the fuel/air. Don't seat the bullet deep enough=low power (low engine compression). So when you spend time to detail every aspect you get a sweeter running engine. Even when you use the same parts as someone who does not. Since I shoot for personal satisfaction I sometimes am accused of over doing it.

daddyseal
07-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Very good answer...thank you~!!