PDA

View Full Version : It was too hot to cast yesterday evening

07-25-2012, 06:15 AM
But, Mr. UPS man brought my new mould and die set, so I just had to give them a try. Now I have 100 or so .357 diameter boolits and 100 or so sized and decapped pieces of 9mm brass. Tonight the lube will be dry.

rintinglen
07-26-2012, 01:12 PM
It is only too hot if the lead won't freeze.

1Shirt
07-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Casting is an addiction, regardless of temp when a new mold walks thru the door!
1Shirt!:coffee:

williamwaco
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Too hot!

107 yesterday.

108 today.

I will not even think about casting before November.

OMG! Thursday update 110.

rmatchell
08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
I agree its a lil hot. I work in a glass plant running a forming machine by the end of the day I have to strugle to cast.

Old Caster
08-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Hot is good because then your bones won't ache. If I was Youngcaster I might think differently. -- Bill -

375RUGER
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
so send SWMBO out with her friends and you can have the kitchen all to yourself.

9.3X62AL
08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
107*-108*? HA, THAT ain't hot--where I'm at, I had to move my Linotype ingots outta the direct sunlight and into the shade, 'cause they were starting to leak metal onto the concrete.

popper
08-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Sorry, I'm not as tough as you guys. I did drag the 50 gal compressor and air chisel into the front yard and knock some bricks away from the hose faucet that needs to be replace, it was 107 @ 7PM and I was drenched.

Hamish
08-02-2012, 03:38 PM
While you're all being macho like you were taught, keep in mind that once you've had a heat stroke, you can kiss being a functional human being about half the year.

Please be careful and drink fluids till you can't stand it. You have no idea how horrible it is to look fine but be basically disabled.

I'm not whining, just hoping I can keep someone from ending up like I did.

gcsteve
08-02-2012, 06:26 PM
While you're all being macho like you were taught, keep in mind that once you've had a heat stroke, you can kiss being a functional human being about half the year.

Please be careful and drink fluids till you can't stand it. You have no idea how horrible it is to look fine but be basically disabled.

I'm not whining, just hoping I can keep someone from ending up like I did.

Excellent advice. I hope you have recovered.

Its about 90 degrees here, and I begin to sweat when it hits 60 degrees. I just came in from a smelting session with the cast iron pot and turkey fryer. The first thing my wife said was "DRINK SOME WATER!" Don't get me wrong; I'm fine and was never in danger, but it can be a fine line between fine and dehydrated. Besides, a cold drink on a hot day is so refreshing!

Stay safe in the heat.

9.3X62AL
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
No doubt about it, Hamish. I drink water all day long, and have for many years. I've lived practically my entire life in hot climates, and work hard to prevent any sort of heat stress or dehydration.

41 mag fan
08-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Bad thing is I'm a sweater...hits 60 degrees, I start sweating like gcsteve does.

80's I start looking like i peed my pants in 30 min from sweating.
90's i'm frosty the snowman. Want to know where i'm at, just follow the water trail

Uncle Grinch
08-04-2012, 05:17 PM
When it's that hot, I just set my pot on the tailgate of my truck and go back inside where it's cool! Give it an hour or so and those WW are melted!

WELL, ALMOST....

ipijohn
08-04-2012, 05:27 PM
It's 95 on my deck right now, but there is rain coming across Lake Michigan and the high for tomorrow is 72. I can see a lot of casting in my future tomorrow afternoon.

MikeS
08-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Heat is nothing to play with! Just the other day down here a kid died because he was left in the back of a van for 2 hours by daycare people his family trusted his care to!

Cadillo
08-04-2012, 07:15 PM
107*-108*? HA, THAT ain't hot--where I'm at, I had to move my Linotype ingots outta the direct sunlight and into the shade, 'cause they were starting to leak metal onto the concrete.

I spent eleven summers in Imperial County, California. The hottest I ever saw was 130* in the shade on a thermometer outside a restaurant in Salton City. I heard on the radio that day that it was 126* in Phoenix, the hottest temperture recorded there for any date ever. The thing I remember most about that heat was that in the summer, I had to have gloves with me at all times. When the temp gets over about 115*, metal objects even in the shade get so hot that they will burn the !@#$ out of your hands if you pick them up. If something metal is out in the sun there, fuggedaboutit. I had to fuel my vehicle at the end of each shift and the pumps were in the shade under an awning, and we couldn't handle the metal pump nozzles without gloves or get burned.

I also remember that any time a tire got even just a little low on pressure, it would self destruct after not very many miles. Blowouts were a common occurrance. B.F. Goodrich were the very worst! I'm no longer tough enough to live there, soft living here in South Texas.

If I had not left there, I would have never considered casting.

Jumping Frog
08-04-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't mind the heat here in Houston. But the humidity really adds to it.

I try to do most of my casting between November and April.

David2011
08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Cadillo,

The first time I went to NAF El Centro it was July 5 about 13 years ago. The rent car was a black Ford Taurus and it was about 117 degrees. It was hard to even get in the car without getting burned- and then I see this woman standing on the shaded porch of a military building sucking on a cigarette. I didn't understand how someone could be inhaling that hot smoke when it was already that hot. Not criticizing the smoking- just not understanding how a person could stand to ingest thet "superheated" smoke.

David

canyon-ghost
08-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Was 108 in the welding shop on Thursday, fired up a cutting torch! Good God, why get that hot?

And I agree, getting too hot is not good for your health at all. There's a reason for those Desert cowboy movies.