PDA

View Full Version : Proper Alloy Ratio

Uncle Grinch
07-24-2012, 10:42 PM
I have accumulated quite a bit of wheelweights, linotype and about 40 pounds of stereotype (certified stamped) and would liek to know the proper ratio to create an alloy similar to Lyman #2.

I work better with pounds in my calculation using 10 pounds as my base. That is 10 lbs WW + xx lbs of linotype + xx lbs of stereotype.

I'll take any help I can get, just don't give me a math word problem!! Prefer to keep it simple.

BTW... I looked at the percent ratios at www.lasc.us

Boyscout
07-25-2012, 02:57 AM
I found this formula from Rotometals to be helpful. Unfortunately you will be using a lot of ratios. I have an Excell formula that uses their 70/30 alloy to calculate. It seems to be pretty accurate as long as you know the BHN of your WW to start. I worked it up using ounces.

Basic Formula
BHN=Start BHN+(0.92*Antimony %)+(0.29*Tin %)

avogunner
07-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Bumpo's alloy calculator would be a great guide for you to work out what's best.... here's the link:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Uncle Grinch
07-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Bumpo's alloy calculator would be a great guide for you to work out what's best.... here's the link:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Great calculator... I unlocked the input cells and protected everything else so I won't accidently enter data in the formula cells.

This makes it so much easier to get in the "ballpark" for what I'm looking for.

Thank you Bumpo628 and thank you Avogunner for the tip!

Defcon-One
07-25-2012, 05:12 PM
You'll need some Solder, Pewter or Tin!

Looks to be about 10 lbs. COWW Lead, 3.5 lbs. Linotype and .92 lbs. of 60/40 Solder.

bumpo628
07-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Great calculator... I unlocked the input cells and protected everything else so I won't accidently enter data in the formula cells.

This makes it so much easier to get in the "ballpark" for what I'm looking for.

Thank you Bumpo628 and thank you Avogunner for the tip!

:drinks: