PDA

View Full Version : On the way home for a little R&R!

saz
07-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Well, it is that time again- time to head home for some R&R! Have to switch gears from combat to Dad for a couple of weeks. This is always the worst part- waiting on flights.... Oh well. I have plenty of catching up to do on here! I dunno if I will have time to hit the range while I am home, it will depend on my 5 year old, and if he wants to go shootin with Dad. I figured now is a great time to get him exposed to it a little bit. The only time he has seen me shoot was last fall, my wife and I took him out on our 4 wheelers with some of our friends and their kids when a rouge piece of driftwood charged without warning and I HAD to empty my 44 mag into it and put it down!!!! He thought it was pretty cool. I may take him to the trap range instead, it is a little more fun to watch. I used to watch my dad every Wednesday shooting league trap when I was his age, which was my motivation to be as good as him someday- yeah right. He can still clean my clock on command with a scattergun.

Over the last couple of years him and I have been playing with those little nerf soft dart guns- the ones that shoot the foam darts with suction cups on the end- in the house. We have some targets of bears, elk and deer that stick onto the windows. These were his first lessons in safety. After "class" we go hunting the cats in the house. It annoys my wife to no end (she loves her cat) but he laughs his a$$ off. Been in Afghanistan for about 8 months now and i am trying to get home before the weekend so i can take the boy to the air show. Anyways, just wanted to share. Thanks for listening.

1911sw45
07-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Saz,

Let me say thank you for your service. Enjoy your R&R with your son and wife.

Adam

nicholst55
07-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Enjoy the family while you're home. A big thank you from this old sergeant!

DIRT Farmer
07-24-2012, 11:28 PM
It is always good to see the boys coming home, if only for a short visit. Set the little one on your shoulders to let him see the world from Daddys point of view.

OneSkinnyMass
07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Welcome Home, have fun and enjoy your time with the family.
Thank You for your sacrifices.

Skinny

MtGun44
07-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Thank you for your service.

Please stay safe. We have lost entirely to many good men over there.

Bill

waksupi
07-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Have a good time. I bet you all enjoy the air show!

missionary5155
07-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Good morning and Welcome back !
Glad you can have a few days in relative safety with the individuals you love. I will add your name to my service personel prayer list.
Mike in ILL. Armor 71-74

square butte
07-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks for you service sir. Do enjoy your time at home.

Bad Water Bill
07-25-2012, 08:04 AM
'Thank you for your service.

Just a word of advice. When carrying children on your shoulder do NOT permit them to pat your head and say "FASTER DAD FASTER".

That will scare your hair back into your scalp and you will be BALD in a short time.:bigsmyl2:

Love and cherish them as they grow up so fast.

reloader28
07-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Welcome home.
Thank you for your service and thank the other boys over there too.

Wayne Smith
07-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks for your service. When my boys were five I had them shooting the Ruger Convertible Single Six at the range. Taught them safety, muzzle control, and shooting etiquette. When my older son was 11 his favorite gun was my SBH loaded with 5gr. Bullseye and a cast boolit. Gun was almost as big as he was and hardly kicked at all.

blackthorn
07-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Enjoy your R&R! We pray you may soon be able to come home safe and not have to go back. Thank you for your service to the world!

koehn,jim
07-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Thank you for your service and have a great time with the family.

JeffinNZ
07-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Can't imagine what's it's like to be away from your family for so long especially given the circumstances.

saz
07-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Thank you all for the kind words! We all appreciate it very much and no thanks is necessary- it is just what we do.

@ Wyane Smith- I had a trailboss load for my SBH a while back but the saeco mold i was using was undersized, then I borrowed a RCBS keith mold to try. Right on the money! The only mold I own for my 44 is the Lee 310. Looks like I need to find a light one and have a plinker load for the boy on standby!

Wayne Smith
07-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Actually, that was a commercial made Keith style 240gr boolit he was shooting. Still barely kicked with that big revolver - it has the 7.5" barrel. Now that I'm casting I can't imagine having a 44Mag. without one, even though I use the Mia 300gr more often.

reloader28
07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Mines a 255gr SWC (RCBS 245gr) with 5gr Bullseye too.
Very accurate and fun to shoot.

largom
07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Welcome home son, even for a short time and please BE CAREFUL over there.

Larry

hiram1
07-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Welcome home.be safe but have a good time.

jmsj
07-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Saz,
I believe the thanks are needed. We Americans need to be thankful for all that you and all our armed forces do and sacrifice for our country.
I hope you and your family enjoy your much deseved R&R.
Many thanks and God speed,jmsj

gbrown
07-28-2012, 03:58 PM
We thank you for your service. God Bless you and all the others who serve. This is what makes our country great. Many others have served and this is why we have freedoms and our way of life. Have a great R&R and may you have a swift and safe return to your family. P.S. I also thank your wife for her service and hard work in your absence.