PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about the 7x61 S&H?

jpatm2
07-24-2012, 08:44 PM
I was tooling around today and stopped at a store that is new to me. As I was poking around the shelves I found about 120 cases with the headstamp of NORMA Re 7x61 S&H. The guy behind the counter said it came from a guy that used it alot in Africa but he wasn't going back. I had never heard of this cartridge before. What can you guys tell me about it?

runfiverun
07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
sharp and hart.
schultz and larsen built the rifles.
good round,works on an 0/6 action.
ballistics between the 280 and 7 mag.

jpatm2
07-24-2012, 10:15 PM
If anyone is in need of this brass, let me know and I will go back and get it for you.

lmcollins
07-25-2012, 12:40 AM
From what I remember it's case interior was somehow added to just a bit late in it's life, and it was then thought to be by some very reputable authority to be just about "perfect" for the 7mm bore diameter. That was probably in an old Rifle or Handloader magazine.

It was a precurser to the Rem 7mmMag, and put out by Norma in Europe. Shultz and Larsen rifles were imported into this country so chambered, and many custom rifles where made for it since it was a CIP/SAAMI standardized chambering. The big Remington had something like 2 grains more capacity, got made by everyone in America, and did in the old 7mm Sharp and Hart.

I always thought it was a sharp looking case with its sharp shoulder. It was the first 30/06 length factory short mag.

You might be able to clean up a rifle's chamber with a standard 7mm Rem Mag reamer. I cannot remember.

Hopes this helps.

pmeisel
07-28-2012, 04:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7%C3%9761mm_Sharpe_%26_Hart

Phil Sharpe was a well known gun writer and experimenter of a couple generations back.

Sort of a 7mm Rem Mag before it's time.