PDA

View Full Version : Xdm 40 feeding problem

red1027
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Here is the load I used

Bullseye 4.2gr
WSP
Friendswood lead bullet 180gr. flat point (they are sized at .401)
OAL 1.12

Yesterday I was out at the range to try out some bullets. I loaded up about 20 to shoot them thru a M&P Vtac and a XDm. The m&p eat up everything and did not malfunction. The xdm however fed a couple but on the 7th round it got stuck. I had a heck of a time clearing it. I have read that the xd series have a different angel rib but I'm not too sure what that means.

Should I shorten the OAL for the xdm? If so by how much?

Any other suggestions? Maybe different slower powder with a shorter OAL?

I have unique and wst powders available

red1027
08-09-2012, 12:03 AM
any suggestions?

Should I invest in a Lee FCD?

Calamity Jake
08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
"The xdm however fed a couple but on the 7th round it got stuck. I had a heck of a time clearing it."

Sounds like that 7th round was bad, did you try more?

My XD 9 had to have the feed ramp polished a bit to get it to feed both RN or TC boolits, works like a champ now.

popper
08-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Use the speed loader over the barrel and bang the grip on a hard bench, pushing on the speed loader. My XDm takes about everything, unless I set the OAL wrong or didn't remove enough bell. I assume be jammed you mean won't go into full battery. Make sure no shaved lead is at the mouth and none soldered to the case. If COL is too long, it may get jammed on the feedramp. The nose on that bullet looks longer than the Lee 175 TC, you may need to seat deeper. I'm going to make a PVC pipe with a cap on the end to use to clear stuck ones, vs the speedloader. NO NO Lee FCD! Unique is OK, I changed to 231, it meters better.

red1027
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Yes I tried more and all of the got stuck. The slide will not go into battery. I shorten the OAL from 1.25 to 1.15 with no success.

John 242
08-09-2012, 04:13 PM
any suggestions?

Should I invest in a Lee FCD?

How much was it out of battery?

What do you mean you had a heck of a time clearing it?

John 242
08-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes I tried more and all of the got stuck. The slide will not go into battery. I shorten the OAL from 1.25 to 1.15 with no success.

You taper crimping your brass to take the bell out?

red1027
08-09-2012, 09:25 PM
It was about 1/2 an in. The live round was really stuck. I couldn't move the slide front nor back. I don't have a taper crimp die. I'm using a lee bullet seating die. The size of the case is at .42x. There is very minimal bulged.

John 242
08-10-2012, 03:54 AM
In your Lee die set, the bullet seating die should also be a taper crimp die. Typically, dies made for revolvers have a roll crimp and auto pistol dies have a tapper crimp. I checked Lee's site but couldn't confirm it.
You've got to bell the case mouth a bit to get the bullet to enter the case mouth. Your expanding die, if adjusted for a lot of case mouth expansion, could be causing the problem.
If that bell isn't removed, it will drag and often jam the cartridge in the chamber, depending how much of a bell there is.
I'll put some more thought into this, but one thing you can do is use a sharpie to color a round black and safely and slowly hand cycle the slide until the round starts to stick. Eject the round and check to see where the case is sticking by seeing where the black is rubbed off. A dummy version of your handload would be safest to use, but you can use a loaded round as long as you ensue the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction, etc, etc.

John 242
08-10-2012, 09:19 AM
...also take a look at the web of the cases and make sure there isn't a bulge near the base. On guns with a lot of unsupported chamber area, you can get a bulge near the bottom. Often, carbide sizing dies don't size low enough to remove all of the bulge. These bulges were sometimes called 'Glock bulges' and used to be prevalent on .40 S&W Glock brass.

popper
08-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Yup, got to use the taper crimp die to 'just' remove the flare. I use the RCBS so I don't know about the Lee set. No to the FCD!!. I adjust my seater die to remove the flare, but seat with an ~ 1.4" shim under the die (actually the RCBS powder measure metal plate). When finished charging I just put the die in the press and go. I'm using a green plastic sprinkler head connector pipe for clearing jams. Hold it in front of the bbl and holding the grip, bang it on the bench. Fast and your hand isn't in front of the muzzle.