PDA

View Full Version : Powder Check?

CuZ
07-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm about to order my first progressive press. One thing I noticed while watching several U-tube videos, is that very few people seem to be checking for a good powder drop. Now I can see doing this if you have an auto-check system of some sort; but without one, are you that confident in your systems ability to throw the right charge, that you don't need to look? (Maybe those folks in the videos were just trying to show how fast they could go, but it looked like a good way to get a squib... or something worse.) Pesonally, I think I will order the powder check alarm on my system. (However, after seeing the $28.00 bullet feeder thread; I might be tempted to give up the alarm for that feature). :-?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

Longwood
07-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm about to order my first progressive press. One thing I noticed while watching several U-tube videos, is that very few people seem to be checking for a good powder drop. Now I can see doing this if you have an auto-check system of some sort; but without one, are you that confident in your systems ability to throw the right charge, that you don't need to look? (Maybe those folks in the videos were just trying to show how fast they could go, but it looked like a good way to get a squib... or something worse.) Pesonally, I think I will order the powder check alarm on my system. (However, after seeing the $28.00 bullet feeder thread; I might be tempted to give up the alarm for that feature). :-?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

I believe clean primer pockets are a good idea so I de-prime my brass before I clean it with a cheap single stage press that comes in handy for other things also.
On my Loadmaster, I now have a automatic RCBS measure at station one, a powder check with a light that I made using a Lee powder thru die at station two, another case operated RCBS powder measure with a flaring die (also home made) at station three, a seating die at four which has a LED mounted over it so I can visually check the powder level, and a crimp die at station five.
I now trust my Loadmaster to make consistent loads a lot more than when I got it.

Rick459
07-24-2012, 06:53 PM
it doesn't matter if you use your eyeball or a powder check die. as long as you use something to check your powder charges. a squibb or double charge could spoil your whole day.
Rick

joec
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
I used a Lee Pro 1000 for awhile and once I got it pouring correctly I just looked before adding the bullet. Now my check method was to take the case as far as priming and loading the powder then remove the round and pour the first 5 back in the hopper. Replace the primed case under the powder die and more powder then I would check it for about 5 time. If it was within +- .1 gr I would finish that round. Now I would pull every couple of rounds and check again using the lee funnel if powder was correct to refill the case then finish it. Now once I got it set up I've never had a problem since so trusted it but still checked about every 5th round before I set the bullet.

One other tip I learned early on when the hopper gets down to about 1/4 then add more powder period.

r1kk1
07-25-2012, 09:23 AM
it doesn't matter if you use your eyeball or a powder check die. as long as you use something to check your powder charges. a squibb or double charge could spoil your whole day.
Rick

+1

r1kk1

A pause for the COZ
07-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I will never ever use a progressive with out being able to check that there is powder in the case.
I am using a old piggy back two, The original powder drop set up was just a squib load waiting to happen. I actually had one of them.
There is just too many things going on. Any hick up at any station usually results in some movement in the powder station.

One squib was enough to convince me of the value of a powder check die. Oh and upgrading to the new style, case activated linkage on the powder measure.
I use the RCBS die.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8212.jpg

The bad part of that set up is it sucks up a station. And I too have been wanting to use a Bullet feed die.
Right now I am working on a visual way to check the case for powder.
I dont care how you bend your neck. You still have to pull out the case to see in it.
Thats where web cam and a mirror comes in. I have seen some good examples on the web. Mine is not so good yet. Have to get the lighting better and the focus seems to be in between my view. But it will work.
Going to order a RCBS bullet feed die for 45acp and see how it works.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8419.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8420.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/151018.jpg

cheese1566
07-25-2012, 09:45 AM
I prefer the RCBS LockOut Die for my pistol progressives.

Longwood
07-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Mine is not so good yet. Have to get the lighting better and the focus seems to be in between my view. But it will work.

Good idea.
Is your camera an auto-focus camera?
If it is, it may be focusing on the mirror.
There are some small diameter digital microscopes on ebay and other places.

Longwood
07-25-2012, 02:33 PM
I prefer the RCBS LockOut Die for my pistol progressives.

My powder check die is made to also do that.
I made with two short pieces of 1/4" aluminum rod and a barrel nut made from 1/2" aluminum rod.
I threaded the short rods so that I can screw them into the barrel nut from either end.
That works as a micro adjustment.
When it is all added to a Lee powder-thru die, it will not only trip a micro switch, it will also lock the press if a double charge is accidentally dumped.
I keep stock handy so the cost was minimal.
I will post some photo's if anyone is interested.

PS,,
I made this setup for pistol loads and do not know if it will work with long cases yet.

A pause for the COZ
07-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Good idea.
Is your camera an auto-focus camera?
If it is, it may be focusing on the mirror.
There are some small diameter digital microscopes on ebay and other places.

Nope it is a manual focus. Not a very good one though. I spent 6 bucks.
You get what you pay for I guess.
I am looking for some examples of micro USB cams that may work.
Got any model numbers?

Longwood
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Got any model numbers?

I wish I had bought this one instead of the one I bought off of ebay.
The one I got is the short fat type.
It is OK for some things, but I think this one would be much better.
When I was first browsing for them,, I found one that cost around $200 that would probably be my choice if I were to order one now.
Now that I have one, I keep finding more and more uses for it.
Unfortunately, I can't find where I saved the site info for the more expensive one.
Google can probably find it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-2MP-USB-Digital-Microscope-Endoscope-Magnifier-Webcam-Camera-With-Stand-US-/200794842568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec04e25c8

PS:
The light that I cobbled together uses a little three dollar LED flash light that is mounted so it shines directly into my face.
Can't miss it. :shock:
I use a old 3 volt cell phone charger for power.

CuZ
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
COZ, I hadn't considered using video... good idea!

Longwood, I for one would enjoy seeing pictures of your powder system. I just placed an order with Parrot for a powder check and will likely need some ideas to modify it.

To bad the press I ordered didn't have six stations:cry:

Thanks guys!

Longwood
07-25-2012, 05:52 PM
The three piece rod, makes it a little bit adjustable.
The die threads make it even more adjustable.
I am still working on the lengths for 45 colt and 45-70.
I have six micro switches that I could find but this big ugly one is the olny one I could solder a wire to so I could use it as a normally open switch. I had to JB weld a longer lever onto it so it would fit on the press.
Working with stuff you have already, can be cheap but time consuming, and often it turns out pretty "Homely".
:bigsmyl2:

jmorris
07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
I will use a PC die everytime I can.