PDA

View Full Version : It's like I've never cast a boolit before today

Trey45
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I've been using the Lee drip-o-matic 20 pound bottom drip frunace since I started casting, I got a 10 pound bottom drip Lee furnace from a friend in a trade some time ago and have used that one as well. Sure they cast boolits, sure they seem to last, but they drip. All the time. Even with the vice grip trick, they drip. I have unplugged the 20 pound pot and gone inside only to return to an empty pot and lead all over the place due to it dripping itself empty. My mistake I admit it, I should have stayed in the shop until the lead was hard enough to not drip. It only happened once.

This morning FedEx shows up with my new RCBS Pro Melt from Midsouth. I've just finished my first casting session with it. I see what all the fuss is about now, I see what I have been missing all this time. It's as if I've never cast a boolit before today.

No dripping, plenty of room under the spout, sturdy base, heats up fast. I'm hooked.

para45lda
07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Is that a testimonial? ;)

Rockchucker
07-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Good deal Trey, I love my Pro Melt it's been a dear friend so far.

hornady
07-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I bought my RCBS pro-melt last year. I got mine from Mid-south as well and the $50.00 mail in rebate is not bad either. Great pot. I have run about 200 pounds of alloy threw it, no drips and great heat control. My only regret is I did not buy one sooner. I went threw 4 Lee pots over the years and none even came close to the RCBS.

geargnasher
07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Ya gets what ya pay for. I have no trouble at all with my Lee Pro 4-20, I keep clean alloy in it, lube the linkage, no drips whatsoever, but it is still a $60 pot made with the cheapest components available.

Gear

ph4570
07-24-2012, 02:03 PM
I have recently had the same experience in the transition from Mr. Drippy to a Pro-Melt unit. My only regret is not having wrenched my wallet open years ago for the Pro-Melt. The Lee was ok for the price but the Pro-Melt is a joy to cast with.

As posted in another thread I made a minor mod (spring addition) to mine that makes the pour handle operation feel nicer and may help avoid any tendency of the beast dripping:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_88054fff189b93b7b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5862)

fishnbob
07-24-2012, 02:28 PM
I've been using the Lee drip-o-matic 20 pound bottom drip frunace since I started casting, I got a 10 pound bottom drip Lee furnace from a friend in a trade some time ago This morning FedEx shows up with my new RCBS Pro Melt from Midsouth. I've just finished my first casting session with it. I see what all the fuss is about now, I see what I have been missing all this time. It's as if I've never cast a boolit before today.

No dripping, plenty of room under the spout, sturdy base, heats up fast. I'm hooked.

Sunday morning I hooked up my 10 lb Lee to make some crappie jigs and while I was piddling with something else, I heard splattering lead on my floor pad. Luckily I had put a tin can under it and the b@$t@rd was pouring out like I had the lever pulled. The top of the alloy was still hard as a rock, it was leaking from the bottom and I couldn't shake the pin to seal it off. I had to drain it and clean the gunk out of the bottom, how it got there, I don't know. I only use Pb in it and I never smelt in it. There was a film of asphalt lookin' stuff down near the bottom and had stuck the rod out of the hole. This was my 1st & last time for this!
Now, where's the best place to buy the RCBS? Midsouth?[smilie=b:

ph4570
07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Sunday morning I hooked up my 10 lb Lee to make some crappie jigs and while I was piddling with something else, I heard splattering lead on my floor pad. Luckily I had put a tin can under it and the b@$t@rd was pouring out like I had the lever pulled. The top of the alloy was still hard as a rock, it was leaking from the bottom and I couldn't shake the pin to seal it off. I had to drain it and clean the gunk out of the bottom, how it got there, I don't know. I only use Pb in it and I never smelt in it. There was a film of asphalt lookin' stuff down near the bottom and had stuck the rod out of the hole. This was my 1st & last time for this!
Now, where's the best place to buy the RCBS? Midsouth?[smilie=b:

I recently got mine at Graf & Sons -- good price and free shipping. RCBS currently has a $50 mail-in rebate. With the rebate the total shipped cost is a few cents under $300.

Coffeecup
07-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I bought a Pro-Melt back when my 10# SAECO finally died. It hurt to pay that much for a lead pot ($249 or so, delivered, back around '95 or so), but now I figure it is the second-best investment in casting equipment I ever made. (The first was $2 for the SAECO!)

Chicken Thief
07-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I will take all your "Sir Dripalot's" for shipping to Denmark!
A RCBS would cost me $389.20 + shipping in DK
http://www.gunsandpowder.dk/product/rcbs-pro-melt-furnace-240-volt-3647/

Trey45
07-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Went down to the hardware store and bought 4 2" C clamps. I use an old Black & Decker workmate bench as my casting bench, the base of the RCBS is the same length as the bench is wide. Those 4 little C clamps, one in each corner, secured it so there's no movement at all. I probably didn't need it anyhow, but I feel better with it clamped down.

Coffeecup
07-24-2012, 07:45 PM
I use an old Black & Decker workmate bench as my casting bench

I used to do that too, until the wind caught the shop door one day and swung it open, knocking the Workmate over. (The pot was cold, thank goodness, but a couple moulds got dinged.)

To avoid any repeat, I set a board across the cross pieces and stacked a couple ammo cans of lead on it. It might not have been necessary, but I felt better knowing the assembly was about as stable as could be.

dbarnhart
07-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Same experience here. One day I turned my back on Sir Dripsalot for 5 minutes and he went from frozen spout to 10# of lead all over the bench and floor. His days were numbered after that.

One thing about going froma Lee to a Pro-Melt: You know how good you have it.

Mk42gunner
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I have recently had the same experience in the transition from Mr. Drippy to a Pro-Melt unit. My only regret is not having wrenched my wallet open years ago for the Pro-Melt. The Lee was ok for the price but the Pro-Melt is a joy to cast with.

As posted in another thread I made a minor mod (spring addition) to mine that makes the pour handle operation feel nicer and may help avoid any tendency of the beast dripping:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_88054fff189b93b7b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5862)

I like the idea of a spring return; however I wonder how long a small spring will hold its temper in close proximity to molten lead?

I too transitioned to an RCBS Promelt; mine was bought at an estate auction for considerably less than current retail. Since I tried it out, I haven't cast a boolit with my Lee 4-20; I do still use the Lee for casting snagging sinkers though.

Robert

L Ross
07-25-2012, 07:59 PM
No problem with the springs losing temper on 4 Pro Melts and thousands of bullets cast. Two of those had springs on them for years and the owner was a commercial caster who first showed me that trick.

Duke

ph4570
07-25-2012, 08:37 PM
No problem with the springs losing temper on 4 Pro Melts and thousands of bullets cast. Two of those had springs on them for years and the owner was a commercial caster who first showed me that trick.

Duke

yikes -- I thought I had an original idea -- should have known better as the thing begged for a spring there.

Mk42gunner
07-26-2012, 12:29 AM

Duke

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to do this to mine; some time after it cools down a bit, which is beginning to look like February of 2019........

yikes -- I thought I had an original idea -- should have known better as the thing begged for a spring there.

Just goes to show there's nothing new under the sun...

Still a good idea.

Robert

hermans
07-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Got my Pro Melt from and old timer who retired from casting more than 30 years ago. It was made by Ohaus even before RCBS made the Pro Melt of today. I have used it ever since, had to replace the heating element once which was replaced free of charge by RCBS.
If you love casting and hate to struggle with inferior casting equipment, the RCBS Pro Melt is the way to go!

Rockchucker
07-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Could I ask where you got the spring? It looks like a great mod, and thanks for posting it.

ph4570
07-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Could I ask where you got the spring? It looks like a great mod, and thanks for posting it.

I have one of those boxes of assorted springs and picked the best fit. I would like one a little stiffer but the one I have is ok. Your local hardware store should have an assortment of compression springs to choose from.

Iowa Fox
08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=ph4570;1788115]I have recently had the same experience in the transition from Mr. Drippy to a Pro-Melt unit. My only regret is not having wrenched my wallet open years ago for the Pro-Melt. The Lee was ok for the price but the Pro-Melt is a joy to cast with.

ph4570- Thanks for the pic of that mod. I'm going to try that on my Lyman Mag20. I ordered a new shut off plunger for mine and the new part is a little longer than the old one which is good. the bad part is the pour adjustment screw which I also ordered new is too short to work with the new plunger, actually the same length as the old one. Lymans reply is sorry but you will have to fabricate something on your own.