PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of a 44 mag levergun...

Silvercreek Farmer
07-24-2012, 10:44 AM
So, I've had a lot of fun with my 44 mag revolver a purchased a few months ago, and have been infected with the desire to have a rifle that shares ammo with my revolver, despite the fact I already own a .223, a 30-06 and a 7.62x54R, plus a 30-30 levergun that I can borrow from my dad at any time if I really feel the need to work a lever.

One of the biggest problems I see is that I know I will want to shoot higher velocity loads (I already load the 30-06 down for light loads) and don't currently have time to cast and GC my own bullets (between work, farm, and family) so I reload commercial cast for my revolver, which is fine for it, but I know that they will probably lead at rifle velocities, and I am too cheap to buy commercial GCs or jacketed bullets.

So talk me out of buying the levergun, seriously...

1Shirt
07-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I suggest you buy what you can afford and enjoy same. They are a good investment!
Recommend you consider a Marlin!
1Shirt!

Sasquatch-1
07-24-2012, 10:56 AM
I had a Marlin 1894 in 44. Sorry I ever got rid of it. It was an older model with the microgrove rifling. So I quess I can't talk you out of it. You may just have to give up a days shooting every once in a while to do your additional reloading chores.

Silvercreek Farmer
07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I should have know asking here is kinda of like walking into a bar and asking them to talk me out of buying a drink! Does it change anything if I said I was looking at a Puma to go with my Taurus?

bradh
07-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I have a Puma 1892 in 45 colt and love it along with Colt SSA.

Wally
07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I owned three different makes....Marlin, Browning, & now a USRA...all have oversized barrels and require oversized bullets to shoot accurately...a Royal PITA. What shoots well in my Ruger Superblackhawk and Model 29 will not do so in the lever gun. Jacketed bullets work well as do factory jacketed loaded ammo...but if you load cast you need to have oversized bullets. If you are a Hickock45 fan on YouTube, he mentions this on his .44 Magnum carbine videos. I have found it best to use GC bullets with mine and heavier work better than lighter when I do.

Char-Gar
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I can only speak to the Marlin levergun in 44 Magnum. If you are bound and determined to stick to your parameters (store bought plain base bullets) then don't buy one! You will not be happy.

I will resist giving a little lecture on why, so you are just getting the bottom line.

I have such a rifle and I love it, and it turns in great results for me, but not within your parameters.

mdi
07-24-2012, 12:23 PM
OK, don't buy a ,44 Puma. There, I've said as much against it as I'm gonna! Higher velocities are a given in a longer barrel and properly sized bullets can be driven pretty fast. I've read here that some fellers shoot lead bullets well over 2,000 fps regularily. You must slug your Puma's barrel, 'cause some have been sold with oversize bores (mine slugs at 431"-432" so I shoot .432"+ bullets). Properly fitted plain based bullets with decient lube will not lead yer barrel.

My Puma doesn't feed SWC bullets so I use a RNFP (Ranch Dog 240 and 265 grain gas check bullets are a favorite of mine, but I cast and install gas checks). If you buy commercial cast bullets, compare prices between plain based and gas checked bullets, some won't be much difference. Also if you buy cast, make sure you can get them sized properly (same size as the cylinder throats of your revolver and .002" larger than groove diameter for your Puma).

I've just got back to working on my Puma's loads and am having a ball. At first I just used the same loads I used in my Ruger SBH, or my S&W 629 (RNFPs), but I've been tailoring loads just for my Puma lately. I can shoot medium to upper (but not max.) loads in my Puma with very little or no leading with plain based lead bullets all day long, or 'till my ammo runs out...

HDS
07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
I shoot 44 mag plain base bullets through my Puma at both special and magnum levels and I have no leading problems, the revolver leads more. Vihtavuori N110 is a good magnum level powder.

6pt-sika
07-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I have a circa 1967 Marlin 336-44 that truely loves the Ranch Dog 432-240GC , 432-265GC and 432-265GC . And is okay with my MM/RD 432-325GC .

All are sized at .432" or .433" and pushed HARD with H110 .

I've owned a pair of the Marlin 336-44's and a couple Marlin 1894's in 44 MAG and they ALL shot cast well provided I had large enough diameter bullets .

Now on the other hand "I had" a Puma in 480 Ruger that I thought was truely a *** . Only Puma/Rossi I ever owned and only one I ever will own .

Larry Gibson
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I can only speak to the Marlin levergun in 44 Magnum. If you are bound and determined to stick to your parameters (store bought plain base bullets) then don't buy one! You will not be happy.

I will resist giving a little lecture on why, so you are just getting the bottom line.

I have such a rifle and I love it, and it turns in great results for me, but not within your parameters.

Char-Gar is absolutely correct. Note the few posts that do push cast bullet hard out of pistol caliber lever guns use GC'd bullets. I do too. Store bought PB'd cast bullets will not do at your intended velocities well as stated.

Larry Gibson

jabo52521
07-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I should have know asking here is kinda of like walking into a bar and asking them to talk me out of buying a drink! Does it change anything if I said I was looking at a Puma to go with my Taurus?Nope. Not a thing. Put up a picture when you get them.:p

Kraschenbirn
07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
+1 on everything that's been said...'specially 'bout the oversize throats/bores on the 1894 Marlins. While I'm very fond of my early 70's vintage .44 Marlin carbine, it just plain doesn't like ANY cast boolit under .4325 so I doubt you're gonna find much success with commercial cast boolits.

The other thing I feel you should be warned about is that the darn things are downright addictive!! Once you've got your rifle and a load that really works, be prepared to spend bunch of extra time at your reloading bench. My little Marlin only holds 10 rounds but, I swear, it can eat ammo faster than any long gun I own...including my Garand.

Bill

EDK
07-24-2012, 05:18 PM
My name is Ed and I have owned a lever gun (or two or three at a time!) in 44 Magnum for the last 40 years+....about a month or less after I acquired my first SUPER BLACK HAWK. So I won't be of much help advising you not to buy one. I'd look for a pre-Remington MARLIN; preferrably a 24 inch Cowboy rifle IF I had the funds. BUT there ain't no flies on the basic 20 inch round barrel 1894 in 44 magnum.

I have DILLON 550B models permanently set up for 357 and 44...am starting on 30/30, 308 and 223 with them. I'll probably get the conversion kit for 45/70 this fall. The pistol calibers are a lot cheaper and easier to reload for, so they get the most time outside of the safe. BESIDES the fact the little lever guns are so d*** handy to carry or use in the brush.

IF you don't push too hard, you can use plain base boolits with little or no leading problems. You will find that you make GENERIC ammo that works in both pistol and rifle for the most part. You can acquire gas checked boolits or...heaven forbid; J-words!...for rifle specific loadings, but you'll use the generic loads about 90-to-1. Do a little looking for vendors who sell the boolit you want to use...they're out there. (there used to be a lot of complaints about commercial cast bullets being too hard. IIRC, LASERCAST ran close to 20 Brinnel hardness.)

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

leftiye
07-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Simple, get a .454.

Four Fingers of Death
07-24-2012, 08:11 PM
I have both an 1894 Marlin and a Rossi 92 in 44Mag. I like them both and they both work well. I have never slugged them, and never really developed loads, etc apart fromTrailboss Cowby loads. I just feed them commercially available cast boolits (usually polymer coated) or plain ol' cast boolits. I got a lot off afriend who had given up shooting his 44s. I never miked them :( . They always seem to hit the small bonus targets (usually about 6" big,sometimes smaller) at 50yards fired offhand. I prefer the feel of the Rossi,but mine has a weird brass bead front sight and a very shallow narrow rear groove with thise awful buckhorns and the sights are hard to acquire quickly. I have had the odd hickup feeding 44Specials in the 92, never jammed, just a hickup every now and then. I think the problem was mainly me as I usually use a short stroked 73 Uberti, I tend to have the same trouble with most levers, the muscle memory is set to the rifle I shoot the most. I have not really used the Marlin much in the five years I have had it.

The wood, etc on the Marlins is a lot better, but think about it, the rifle is virtually double the price. The wood on the recent ones is nothing to write home to Mum about though.

If it is just going to be a saddle gun and never is going to have a scope mounted on it,I'd say go with the Rossi and spend some of the money saved on upgrading the sights. You can easily tune these yourself,just get the DVD off Steve's Guns along with the replacement spring and mag follower.

If you generally prefer (or need) telescopic sights mounted, the Marlin is the obvious choice.

My Marlins (1894x44Mag, 336x30/30 and 444) will end up wearing a 2-7 Leupold Vari X11 as I have two of these spare and another on a Savage combo 222/20Ga which I will replace with an old 2.5x Weaver I have. That way the Marlins will all have the same scope setup. My eyes are good for a 64year old, but have lost some of their ability to see targets in poor light.

Talk you out of a 44? No way, old Elmer Keith would be turning in his grave over that! One thing I have found is that the rifles are usually more fussy than the handguns, so unless I want to load separate for carbine and pistol, I develop a load for the carbeen and that is usually good to go with the handgun. On the idd occasion that I have developed different loads for different guns which are to be used at the same time, I load the handgun in Nickle cases,or a different brand at least.

44s are like a cookie jar to a kid, you just keep going back!

TXGunNut
07-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Don't buy the rifle, buy boolit casting gear and make the time to use them to cast for the guns you have. Then buy the rifle, and another in 45 Colt, another in 45-70, then another in 44-40.......:lol:

45-70 Chevroner
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Don't buy one!!!!! and if you don't you will never be satisfied until you do. I know because I have been there. When I finally did I have never looked back. I have a 45 Colt Rossi ( not a puma) it shoots great. I had a Rossi in 38/357 but had to sell it to get another Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt so I could shoot in the Cowboy shoots. I wish I still had it, it actually shot better than the Rossi 45 Colt. I also wish I had a Rossi in 44 Mag. The Rossi's are 92's I also had a 94 in 44 Mag but gave it to my grand son, say la v. Good luck but remember don't buy one!!!!!

PacMan
07-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Would never talk you out of such a thing.
If you want to shoot heavier bullets 300+ grains go with the Rossi for sure.It has a faster twist than the Marlin. The Rossi is a little rough by comparsion to a Marlin and the sight are less than ideal but i think they are stronger and handle better than the Marlin.I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and a Puma in 454. I always grab the Puma becaus of the way it feels.

PB for lighter loads but GC for the serious stuff. 16 to 20 inche barrels full of lead is no fun.Take it from someone who knows.

Pac

No_1
07-25-2012, 07:40 AM
I cannot convince you not to get a 44 mag, 41 mag, 357 or a 45 Colt.

Ed in North Texas
07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
I should have know asking here is kinda of like walking into a bar and asking them to talk me out of buying a drink! Does it change anything if I said I was looking at a Puma to go with my Taurus?

Actually, any of us would try to talk an alcoholic out of that drink. But the cure for a Hoplophile (the opposite of the Colonel's Hoplophobe for the folks in Rio Linda) is more firearms, not abstinence.

As most of the commercial casters use pretty hard alloys, and usually excellent lubes, I don't know why you would have leading problems with the rifle vs. the revolver. The commercial casters understand that a boolit intended for use in a .44 Mag might wind up in a lever rifle as easily as a revolver.

Enjoy that Puma, Marlin, or whichever rifle you buy.

Ed

Shooter
07-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Silvercreek Farmer,
Around 1980 I got a Marlin '94 in trade for dumptruck repairs. It has rode in a scabbard on my tractor ever since. The 44 mag realy wops ground hogs and coyotes within 100M, deer too.
Everyone said microgrooves won't shoot cast, they lie. Mine likes Elmers 44 special load in 44Mag cases. (18.5 Gr. 2400 under a 429421)
I recommend the Marlin as a farm gun.

Char-Gar
07-25-2012, 10:48 AM
The vast majority of commercial bullet casters use the blue wax lube that is designed to stay in the grooves during shipment. It is not designed to do the job a bullet lube is supposed to do, and is for that purpose worthless.

Groo
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Groo here
Do not forget the winchester 94 in 44mag.. They have faster twist barrels than
marlin and handle 300+ bullets better.

Silvercreek Farmer
07-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Well guys, I went to a couple LGSs at lunch, cash in hand, but didn't do it. The Rossi's they had were all 16" barrels (despite telling me otherwise on the phone) and I think I am pretty set on a 20" The 16"s are so light and handy, to the point of being TOO light and handy, they just didn't feel right. I'm not too tall (6') but the stocks felt pretty small as well. One of the shops had a '76 1894 Microgroove Marlin for $469 +tax in okay condition, but I haven't done much research on them. Anything I should know other than the oversisze bullet info already stated? They also had a Golden Boy which was purdy but WAY out of my budget. Honestly the rifle that felt the best (smoothest action as well) was the new production 1894 Marlin but still over budget. They did have a Marlin 45-70 too, but I didn't touch it, as the whole point of going down this road was to leverage (haha) off of my existing 44 mag!

EDK
07-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Do some looking around. Various internet auctions will yield bargains AFTER deer season, etc are over. The Cowboy Action shooters view MARLINS as entry level guns and you might look at their web sites or take in a shoot some week end with those yankee dollars in your pocket.

While $469 isn't the greatest price in the world, you wouldn't have shipping or transfer fees PLUS you get to look the gun over BEFORE handing over the funds. I'd probably go that way myself after trying to talk the price down.

I've never heard of anyone shooting an 1894 enough to damage it. The barrel probably doesn't look immaculate, BUT a thorough cleaning might surprise you.

I've got the Cowboys in 357, 44, 30/30 and 45/70. The 44 is my go to rifle; it has convinced various feral canines to leave the calves alone. The one I cut to 16.5 inches rode in my saddle scabbard for 20 years plus...it came out to shoot something or rarely get cleaned and oiled. In the past, I made the mistake of loaning several standard 1894s in 44 magnum to non-hunting friends who wanted to try deer hunting once. They got the deer and I ended up with a check instead of my rifle back.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

rintinglen
07-26-2012, 02:53 AM
I'll try to talk you out of it--but it's kind of hard. The .357 is a better Carbine round in my opinion. The 44 can be a little tough on the shoulder, at least the steel butt-plated rossi guns. The .357 uses less lead and you get more boolits to the pound, and in my experience the .357 Rossi's are a tad more accurate.
If you insist on using store bought cast boolits, this is particularly likely to be true, back in my shade-tree gun smithing days, twice I had customers bring me Marlins that "Wouldn't shoot." The fact was that both were so heavily leaded that I had to resort to filling the bore with mercury, letting it set over night, to get the lead out. For a number of years after that I'd not have taken a Marlin as a gift. .429 boolits in a .432 or larger bore can do that.

So, bottom line, don't buy a .44. Unless, of course, you plan on casting your own boolits...

saz
07-26-2012, 04:04 AM
Dont overlook the 16.5" barrell as too light just yet. When that magazine has 8 rounds in it it balances VERY nice. I have a 16.5" puma in 454 with the same issue. Seems very light in the end until she is loaded and is just a dandy little rifle to carry. When the reciever is in your hand it balances perfectly! Just something to think about. But, if you want the 20" more power to ya! I would love to have either!

Ed in North Texas
07-26-2012, 07:20 AM
The vast majority of commercial bullet casters use the blue wax lube that is designed to stay in the grooves during shipment. It is not designed to do the job a bullet lube is supposed to do, and is for that purpose worthless.

I'm surprised that they are still in business, given that many people buying their products must have barrel leading problems. Those I bought some years ago have (I assume generic "chicken") red lube. But .45 ACP isn't exactly hot loaded ammo.

Ed

blackpowder man
07-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Farmer, if you are still watching your thread I would not let anyone talk me out of my 92 rossi .44 mag with 24" barrel. Also, as others have stated mine likes .432 bullets, but so does my older SBH.

GabbyM
07-27-2012, 04:14 AM
Plain base generally work well under 1,600 fps.
10.0 grains of Unique under the Lyman 429667 rnfp 240 grain bullet is listed at 1332 fps at the start load. Most men will find that load to be enough thump. Winchesters classic 44-40 black powder round shot a 200 grain bullet at just over 1200 fps for comparison. Speaking of the 44-40. Short bullets like 200gr 44’s work better in rifles than revolvers. That’s because you don’t have the cylinder gap to breach. There is a huge difference in recoil between 200 grain bullets and 240 grain bullets at comparable velocity. 10.5 grains of Unique under a 205 grain bullet is a great load. Close to 1,400 fps from the rifle. To get a 240 grain bullet to shoot that flat out to 200 yards creates a pile of recoil.

I’ve the excellent Lyman 429215 gas check bullet at 215 grains. It is listed to run 1985 fps in a 20 inch Win AE carbine over 27.5gr of H110. I’ve never shot that load but we have shot thousands of the 429215’s over 4227 and 2400 with slightly reduced loads at around 1,600 fps. That is a lot of gun btw. 20.0 grains of 2400 is my heavy load. With about 32,000 CUP. If I want more gun than that I’ll get out my 270 Win bolt gun. Not push the 44 mag to the max.

white eagle
07-27-2012, 09:16 AM
So, I've had a lot of fun with my 44 mag revolver a purchased a few months ago, and have been infected with the desire to have a rifle that shares ammo with my revolver, despite the fact I already own a .223, a 30-06 and a 7.62x54R, plus a 30-30 levergun that I can borrow from my dad at any time if I really feel the need to work a lever.

One of the biggest problems I see is that I know I will want to shoot higher velocity loads (I already load the 30-06 down for light loads) and don't currently have time to cast and GC my own bullets (between work, farm, and family) so I reload commercial cast for my revolver, which is fine for it, but I know that they will probably lead at rifle velocities, and I am too cheap to buy commercial GCs or jacketed bullets.

So talk me out of buying the levergun, seriously...
i do believe you should not get a 44 lever
get yourself a 44 mag bolt gun like the ruger 77/44

jlchucker
07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Groo here
Do not forget the winchester 94 in 44mag.. They have faster twist barrels than
marlin and handle 300+ bullets better.

Back in the 1980's I bought a 44 Mag Winchester 94 Trapper, and it was my constant companion/truck gun. It was the angle-eject variety, prior to the lawyer-safety. It had a loose lever link and rattled like crazy. I had it drilled/tapped for a Williams receiver sight, and then spent many pleasant hours at my club range, plinking at clay pigeon fragments at 100 yd, using the Lyman 429215 boolit. I never really got quite the same accuracy with heavier boolits. My gunsmith buddy told me that it was because that Trapper had a 1:38 twist, same as found on old 44-40 Winchesters. One of the kids in town developed a fondness for this gun, and I told him that he could have it when I was finished with it. A nice kid who's Dad is a friend of mine. Last year, after not using this Trapper for years, I figured I'd give it to this kid, now full-grown with kids of his own. He tells me that this particular 94 still likes lighter boolits over 20 grains of 2400.

felix
07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
The latest, perhaps last, run of genuine Winchester lever guns have 24 twist in both 44 and 45. Perfect! ... felix

Mohillbilly
07-27-2012, 10:54 AM
My 1894-1994 Winie does just fine . If you have leading problems , I am sure you could afford C.O.W.

Silvercreek Farmer
07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Farmer, if you are still watching your thread I would not let anyone talk me out of my 92 rossi .44 mag with 24" barrel. Also, as others have stated mine likes .432 bullets, but so does my older SBH.

Still watching and reading replies closely. I was just about to go for the Marlin, but am now leaning back towards the Rossi, and of course a RD mold and a pot to go with it!

Four Fingers of Death
07-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Back in the 1980's I bought a 44 Mag Winchester 94 Trapper, and it was my constant companion/truck gun. It was the angle-eject variety, prior to the lawyer-safety. It had a loose lever link and rattled like crazy. I had it drilled/tapped for a Williams receiver sight, and then spent many pleasant hours at my club range, plinking at clay pigeon fragments at 100 yd, using the Lyman 429215 boolit. I never really got quite the same accuracy with heavier boolits. My gunsmith buddy told me that it was because that Trapper had a 1:38 twist, same as found on old 44-40 Winchesters. One of the kids in town developed a fondness for this gun, and I told him that he could have it when I was finished with it. A nice kid who's Dad is a friend of mine. Last year, after not using this Trapper for years, I figured I'd give it to this kid, now full-grown with kids of his own. He tells me that this particular 94 still likes lighter boolits over 20 grains of 2400.

Good to see a good rifle go to a guy in need of it. I once gave a near new (well not used much since being converted) Israeli Mauser which had a Kiwi peep sight (Base of a 308 case soldered to the rear reciever bridge, look through the primer hole). I also threw in an old press that I had picked up, some dies, cases, bullets and a tin of 748. He was really on the ropes at the time. I don't think much about it. I saw him with a scoped Mauser which had a reasonably nice sporter stock on it some years later and admired the rifle. He said it was the milsurp that I had given him. He used it to put meat on the table for several years until he got on his feet and ended up doing a reasonable job of customising it. He was really attached to it. He said, that until it came along,he could hardly afford meat. I knew he was short of funds, but I never realised how badly off he and his family was. It is now a heirloom to his family.

Shuz
07-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Silvercreek Farmer--I have sent you a PM describing the Marlin 1894 in .44 mag that I have for sale.

Fishman
07-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Four fingers, I love stories like that!

To the original poster, don't get a 44 lever, it's just too much fun and you'll get spoiled.

Four Fingers of Death
07-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Four fingers, I love stories like that!

To the original poster, don't get a 44 lever, it's just too much fun and you'll get spoiled.

Thanks, I didn't think a lot about it, just helping a friend out, the sort of thing I'd expect if I was in the same boat. The rifle didn't cost me much and the odds and ends I gave him didn't amount to a lot of money, the tin of 748 powder probably cost me half as much as the rifle and the rest of the stuff put together.

But the fact that it ended up being so useful to his family really pleased me.

HDS
07-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Here's my .44 mag rossi, shoots like a dream it does:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7663239232_b1415c6bb1_b.jpg

mongo
07-29-2012, 01:02 AM
After reading this thread I had to shoot my lever yesterday. Loaded 9gr Unique under a Lee 240gr rn bullet lubed with 45/45/10. Shot a mayonanise jar full of them with no leading in my 94ae with a 24''barrel. Not to impressed with the accuracy, 3'' at 100 yds. I dont know if they could talk someone into NOT buying a lever, I think this thread talked me into looking for another one LOL.Tom

BOOM BOOM
07-30-2012, 08:33 PM
HI,
You'll end up saying "AND I could a had a 444 !":Fire::Fire:

BloodGroove4570
07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Well i dont know if im gonna be much help to you, but i think everyone needs to ow at Least one 44mag,

Marlin 1894P above 1895G

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/BloodGroove4570/029.jpg

Center
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/BloodGroove4570/035.jpg

How it looks now wearing Skinner Tactical's

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/BloodGroove4570/1894PwithSkinnerTacticals004.jpg

Good Luck to'ya :drinks:

GL49
07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Marlin makes a great lever gun, but I had a 92 Rossi in 44 magnum come my way about a year ago, I've shot the dickens out of it with no problems. Blued, 20" barrel, couldn't ask for more. My personal preference is the Winchester model 92 styling, rather than the Marlin. My Rossi in 454 will give me pretty good boot on the shoulder, but the 44 isn't too bad, and it's a great companion for my revolvers.

Silvercreek Farmer
07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Placed my order this morning. Rossi (w/safety) 20" Round Blue. $440 out the door. Now to place an order with Ranch Dog...

6pt-sika
07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Marlin 1894P above 1895G

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/BloodGroove4570/029.jpg

I had a 1894P a couple years back !

Kinda sorry I sold it !

tbhutton
08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Ok -

I am confused. Several people on this thread have said "if you don't cast your own ammo, then don't buy the gun, you won't be happy".

I don't get it. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of places to buy bullets. Many do cast bullets, and quite a few will size them to your spec. Assuming a bullet with a large meplat, what is the problem with buying them from a commercial bullet maker?

I can understand talking him out of the purchase because that is more for the rest of us, but because you don't cast lead yourself???

:holysheep

Sixgun Symphony
08-01-2012, 11:01 PM
You might consider a .444 Marlin rifle, you can use the same .429 bullets.

genesis
08-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I've had a couple of Marlin 1894's in 44 mag. One with micro-groove rifling, and the one I have now with standard rifling. I also have a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag. "All" of my 44 rounds get 6 grains of Winchester 231 powder with a Lee tumble design 240 grain boolit, with no gas check. I've done extensive chronograph testing of this load in both guns. I get 1051 FPS in the rifle and 830 FPS in the revolver, with absolutely no leading in either. I wanted the revolver to have the power of a 45 auto, which it does, and hardly kicks at all in the big Redhawk. The same load in the rifle is a tack driver, and extremely pleasant to shoot. A few years ago I loaded a few "magrums" for hunting season using 2400 powder and a gas checked boolit, and still have plenty of those left for future deer seasons. My "pet load" is all I ever shoot now and it serves me well in both guns.

So get that 44 rifle and shoot non-gas checked cast boolits. Just hold down the velocity, as you experiment to see how fast you can push it before leading occurs.

Don <><

Silvercreek Farmer
08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Picked up the Rossi today, action is pretty smooth, better than the other ones I have felt. Only fault is a little spot the forarm band chewed up on installation, figured I would live with it. Can't wait to try it out! Also have a Ranch Dog mold and a pot on the way (plus accesories) and a week with the family out of town to try it out!

Silvercreek Farmer
08-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Got a chance to squeeze a few off tonight just before dark. Only about 15-20 yards, but the holes were touching using my commercial cast 240 grainers over red dot and 2400. Both loads were very managable, fed well, and didn't show any leading to speak of (only 10 rounds or so). Can't wait to cast up some boolits and give it a proper workout!

Four Fingers of Death
08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Got a chance to squeeze a few off tonight just before dark. Only about 15-20 yards, but the holes were touching using my commercial cast 240 grainers over red dot and 2400. Both loads were very managable, fed well, and didn't show any leading to speak of (only 10 rounds or so). Can't wait to cast up some boolits and give it a proper workout!

Well done! You are off to a flying start!

Silvercreek Farmer
08-04-2012, 12:23 AM
You guys called it! I took the Rossi to the indoor range after work just to play a little and the commercial cast wouldn't group for anything, some even tumbled, even at twenty five yards. Popped a couple j-words in and 3 rounds went through two touching holes!

HDS
08-04-2012, 05:50 AM
I size my own bullets to .431" and it has worked like a charm.

Kicker96fs
08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
I have a Henry in .44 mag and have been thinking of a hand gun so as to make the reloading runs last longer.

I say go for it!

largom
08-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Just added a Marbles tang sight to my Marlin 1894. Standard sights getting to fuzzy and I did not want to put a scope on it. Will find out tomorrow if these old eyes can make the tang sight work.

Larry

greywolf444
08-06-2012, 09:18 PM
My 1894 in 44 is my favorite general purpose rifle. It will handle most any chore that needs doing. It was my first one and it will be my last to go(if any have to go). I bought a 357 since I liked the 44 so much. Its alright and pretty handy on smaller game but it hasn't earned favorite status yet. I could be just as happy with a model 92 clone, just found the marlin first. Plenty of power in a handy package. By the way,those 44 special cowboy loads work pretty good on rabbits. And the 44 mags can handle every thing else. We use a 265gr cast and 9.5gr unique for all hunting in the 44. mid range and very effective.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Here's my .44 mag rossi, shoots like a dream it does:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7663239232_b1415c6bb1_b.jpg

HDS, What is that on the butt plate? Did you just add a little piece of foam? Did you glue it? Also, your stock appears to have a little more shine than mine, did you put something on it?

HDS
08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
HDS, What is that on the butt plate? Did you just add a little piece of foam? Did you glue it? Also, your stock appears to have a little more shine than mine, did you put something on it?

The stuff where the butt plate should be is wood epoxy, I removed the buttplate, filled out the area and sanded it down. It'll be fitted with a recoil-pad soon. I wanted a longer stock and that seemed the easiest way todo it for me.

I refinished the stocks using birchwood casey tru-oil as well, that's why they look shinier.

helice
08-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Oh Farmer,
I knew I should have posted earlier to warn you. You see it all the time. A nice guy goes out and buys a lever gun in 44 and the next thing you know he's in financial trouble. It starts with a furnace a mould a pond of Unique, and a lee loader. Then comes a call to Star Line brass. Before long you own a half dozen 44 caliber six cavity moulds and you spend all your free time scroungin' for wheel weights at the local FireStone store. Next thing you know the wife wants to shoot the thing and you have to buy a Dillon 550 to keep up with her. Then comes the 12 pound kegs of Unique. Once she professes undying love for the dang thing, in order to get to shoot one yourself you have to purchase you another one. Can you see the money problems??? If you got any youngens, you are in for ... well, you can figure it out. Before long you got to quit your job to reload for the family. Lord knows I should have warned you earlier.:wink:

kbstenberg
08-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Helice OH where were you 2 years ago when I got into casting! Only my gun was a Ruger RH.
Kevin

Silvercreek Farmer
08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Oh Farmer,
I knew I should have posted earlier to warn you. You see it all the time. A nice guy goes out and buys a lever gun in 44 and the next thing you know he's in financial trouble. It starts with a furnace a mould a pond of Unique, and a lee loader. Then comes a call to Star Line brass. Before long you own a half dozen 44 caliber six cavity moulds and you spend all your free time scroungin' for wheel weights at the local FireStone store. Next thing you know the wife wants to shoot the thing and you have to buy a Dillon 550 to keep up with her. Then comes the 12 pound kegs of Unique. Once she professes undying love for the dang thing, in order to get to shoot one yourself you have to purchase you another one. Can you see the money problems??? If you got any youngens, you are in for ... well, you can figure it out. Before long you got to quit your job to reload for the family. Lord knows I should have warned you earlier.:wink:

Helice,

You nailed it! Cast my first boolits tonight. Just put some straight WW ingots in the pot, fluxed with planer shavings, and went to pouring. Just wanted to get a feel for everything and not really worry about what I got just yet. Probably cast 100 boolits or so and I am sure there are a few usable ones in the batch. Can't wait to try them out!

Silvercreek Farmer
08-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Sorted my boolits and had about a 50% reject rate, not bad for a first go at casting, and most of the bad ones were from warming up the mold. Couldn't wait for LLA to dry so I improvised a lube with 50/50 paraffin and crisco, hand lubed and loaded up 5 of the plain based over 6 grains of Red Dot (for the M92) and 5 over 16 grains of 2400 for the revolver. 13 hours until I send them downrange...

9.3X62AL
08-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Yessir--heat is definitely your friend during a casting session. :)

I go onto this thread too late to save you from the expense and addiction to 44 Magnum leverguns, so I'll try to assist with some therapeutic load info to manage the monkey now on your back more easily. My lever 44 Mag is a RiceChester 92 repro, in hand for about a year now. It is an utter delight, just like any Win 92 that's built well. Throat is .430", grooves are .429", and boolits at .431" shoot well.

I have two load levels I'm using--the lighter one duplicates black-powder 44-40 ballistics, 14.0 grains of 2400 with the SAECO #446 (200 grain round flatnose), giving about 1200 FPS at the muzzle. This plain-base boolit can be shot all day without a hint of leading, and is a favorite of my wife and daughters for ringing the swinger irons at 50-100 yards.

My other load runs hotter, and uses a gas-checked 250 grain round flatnose from Accurate Molds. 19.0 grains of WC-820 or 20.0 grains of 2400 have been accurate to date, and there's a bit of room to add a grain or 2 of powder to those charge weights I imagine. Velocities run 1700 FPS, and these loads shoot 2.5"-2.75" at 100 yards.

These aren't benchrest bolt rifles. If a levergun with straps holding a tube mag in place shoots into 3" at 100 yards, I'm a happy guy. One of my other lever carbines has done 1.5" at that range, and I was ecstatic when that turned out to be habitual and not a fluke.

Four Fingers of Death
08-08-2012, 02:58 AM
D'Oh! Took a few minutes for the penny to drop, 'ricechester' = Jap made Winchester.

9.3X62AL
08-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Roger that, FFOD. RiceChester = Miroku Winchester. Beautifully made example, and this one has me craving one of their 1886s in 45-70. Other irons in the fire at present, though.

Four Fingers of Death
08-08-2012, 05:28 AM
They make nice rifles, I had a 357 92 repo,but didn't appreciate it at the time. D'Oh!

I have a Browning BPCR 45/70 1895 single shot, Lovely rifle.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Just shot my first home cast! Both loads grouped in the 2-2.5 inch range at 25 yards and cut beautiful holes in the paper. At just 5 shots per load, the distance, and the monkey behind the trigger, I won't make any conclusions other than they aren't tumbling! Can't wait to try out some of the GC boolits and some longer range shooting...

Four Fingers of Death
08-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Just shot my first home cast! Both loads grouped in the 2-2.5 inch range at 25 yards and cut beautiful holes in the paper. At just 5 shots per load, the distance, and the monkey behind the trigger, I won't make any conclusions other than they aren't tumbling! Can't wait to try out some of the GC boolits and some longer range shooting...

Showing a bit of promise! Great feeling when a rifle starts to dothe right things with boolits you have made youreslf and in cartridges you prepped and reloaded. Very soothing,very gratifying.

9.3X62AL
08-08-2012, 11:13 PM
S/C Farmer--

Remember also as you enjoy and work with that rifle......Rome wasn't built in a day. The ride is as much fun as the destination, too.

fatelk
08-09-2012, 12:33 AM
I sure enjoy my 1894 .44 mag now that it's shooting straight. I had it for many years and just figured it was a bad apple. A few months ago I got a lot of help here in figuring it out and it is much, much better.

I have model 29's as well, and wanted a single perfect load that works well in both. I helped a friend work up a load to use on bear. He a government trapper and carries a S&W 29 and a Marlin also. We settled on a great load involving a Saeco #428 and a maximum S&W safe charge of 2400. They cycle slick, shoot straight, and hit like a sledgehammer. He really likes the combination, and he has a lot of trigger time with a bear in the sights in his line of work.

My other load runs hotter, and uses a gas-checked 250 grain round flatnose from Accurate Molds.
I really liked the Saeco bullet, but it was a borrowed mold. I've probably been to the Accurate web site a dozen time looking at designs I like. You all have convinced me that my next .44 mold should be a GC design, and I hear a lot of good things about Accurate Molds. I just haven't decided exactly what design I like, that and finding the right time to let go of the money.:)

Silvercreek Farmer
08-09-2012, 09:21 AM
S/C Farmer--

Remember also as you enjoy and work with that rifle......Rome wasn't built in a day. The ride is as much fun as the destination, too.

Point taken! The family is out of town this week, so I have definatly been on a shooting(and cleaning)/casting/reloading binge! In the past seven days I have shot trap/skeet twice, been to the indoor range twice, cast over 500 boolits, and as well as sizing, lubing, applying gas checks, and reloading a few rounds! :Fire:

Things will slow down once the family is back in town, but I figured it would be nice to at least have a stash of boolits ready to load when the opportunity presents its self down the road.

Four Fingers of Death
08-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Point taken! The family is out of town this week, so I have definatly been on a shooting(and cleaning)/casting/reloading binge! In the past seven days I have shot trap/skeet twice, been to the indoor range twice, cast over 500 boolits, and as well as sizing, lubing, applying gas checks, and reloading a few rounds! :Fire:

Things will slow down once the family is back in town, but I figured it would be nice to at least have a stash of boolits ready to load when the opportunity presents its self down the road.

Having a good stash of boolits and loaded ammo is good to have. Nothing like being able to lay your hands on the necessary when an opportunity arises. Also if you run into a lean patch, a stock of ammo, etc will tide you over until things pick up.

helice
08-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Well Stink!
This poor farmer is bound to quit his job in a week or two.
Fun though, ain't it.
I've got 4 M92s, 'n boy can they roll thru the ammo. I like the 45 Colt the best for its utility, but the 357s get the most use. Cheap and fun.
Glad to hear you're happy.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Did a little more testing today at lunch and I'm getting pretty consistant 3 inch groups @ 25 yards with the Ranch Dog 265 PB in the pistol over 16 grains of 2400, and roughly the same in the rifle using the GC's instead of PB. I was hoping for a little better, especially out of the rifle, but either would certainly be adequate out to 50 yards or so at this point. I might try a little faster powder, maybe Power Pistol, as well as loading a few over some Red Dot I have around and see what happens...

Four Fingers of Death
08-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Well Stink!
This poor farmer is bound to quit his job in a week or two.
Fun though, ain't it.
I've got 4 M92s, 'n boy can they roll thru the ammo. I like the 45 Colt the best for its utility, but the 357s get the most use. Cheap and fun.
Glad to hear you're happy.

The 357/38 92s can really rip through the ammo. I took my youngest son to the range along with my wife a few years ago. I gave him an ammo can full of 9mm ammo and my 1911 Norinco 9mm, close enough to a Browning which is what the Aussie Military use (he was about to join the Navy and wanted to blow the cobwebs away (he had been a Commando in our Army, but got sick of mud and sand). My wife was beside him and I pulled out a full ammo can of 38 cowboy loads and handed her the 92 Rossi (the one in my avitar). We had a few new shooters turn up so I left them and went and looked after the new arrivals. I ran them through a safety course and intro, etc and got them hunkered down with a 22 bolt rifle.

At the end of the afternoon I was thinking I might pack up in a half hour or so when son wandered up, closely followed by his stepmum. I said 'you guys had enough?' The answer surprised me, my son said, 'Nah, we both ran out of ammo.' I don't know how many 38s or 9mms you can fit in a 7.62 ammo can, but it is a lot.

helice
08-16-2012, 01:49 PM
4 Fingers
Sounds like you need one of them new Dillon progressives run on a 'Wisconson Air Cooled 4 cylinder....." Lord have mercy on your boolit moulds. Sounds like you got you a problem. But ain't it fun shootin with the woman you adore!

Four Fingers of Death
08-16-2012, 09:02 PM
4 Fingers
Sounds like you need one of them new Dillon progressives run on a 'Wisconson Air Cooled 4 cylinder....." Lord have mercy on your boolit moulds. Sounds like you got you a problem. But ain't it fun shootin with the woman you adore!

Yep, sure is. I have an original 1908 Winchester 92 in 25/20 which has been re barreled. As it has no collector value, it will be used as her cowboy action rifle. Having said that, I might just have to take it afield occasionally to make sure it is performing up to par, lol.
If my wife is going to continue to empty ammo tins, maybe the Rossi shooting 38s, might be the go. Best $230 I ever spent. Bought it as a back up/ loaner / learners rifle. It has worked out to be one of the best little rifles I have ever owned.

DukeInFlorida
09-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Only ONE real choice for that......... S&W

I have a Henry in .44 mag and have been thinking of a hand gun so as to make the reloading runs last longer.

I say go for it!