PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp 200 tc power pistol

gspman
07-24-2012, 12:48 AM
I have some penn 200grn trunicated cone bullets that have a plain base that i was thinking about running faster than what i have been loading them at 4grn bullseye 5grn hp38..Loaded up some 200grn xtps with power pistol @ 8grns that shoot good and have quite abit more velocity.was wondering if others use power pistol with cast bullets and get good results.did a search and did not come up with much.I carry my 45 sometimes when i am out in woods and would prefer to have a swc or tc type bullet than the xtps.so was wondering if others had been getting good performance.Thinking starting at 7grns and working up.seems 8.2 is max in info i can find for a jacketed 200 havent found any for a cast.thanks GSPMAN

bobthenailer
07-24-2012, 07:22 AM
I got a 4 lb jug ! ive had good results in several 9MMs with cast bullets havent tried it in other calibers .

Grandpas50AE
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm using a 200gr. cast SWC in my .45's with 6.7gr. Power Pistol behind them. It is a nice load, equivalent to my 7.3 gr. SR4756 with the same boolit. OAL is 1.240" on the SWC, good in all my 1911's in .45ACP. I would start at 6.3 and work up since our boolits may be sized different or alloy may be different. All my load development showed signs of not wanting to increase the charge well before I got to 8 gr. YMMV.

gspman
07-25-2012, 12:33 AM
thanks for the replies.while at work today i remembered a article i read in handloader mag on 200grn 45acp loads so tonight i dug through them and found article in feb2010 by brian peirce . shows loads up to 8.5grns and 1150 fps.yeah those are cookin.if i decide to try it will try 6.5 grns first and slowly work up.brians articles have very good info but that 8.5 load seems stiff.only two replies to this thread kinda tells me most people are not useing pp with cast bullets much and are not tryiing to push close to 1000fps with a cast bullet.thanks for your replies hope others chime in GSPMAN

Grandpas50AE
07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I think most are using the more well-known versatile powders such as Unique and are very happy with that and get good results with them, but Power Pistol is very close in burn rate and performance characterisitcs to a very old stand-by used by some of us old-timers, and that is SR4756. I like the way both of these two powders work, with good bulk to fill the casing, excellent metering through the Dillon powder measures, consistent burn charateristics, etc. etc.

The 8.5 from the magazine article might be safe in his gun, but it is a lot higher than I will ever go with the boolits I shoot as far as .45ACP goes. It sounds like you have a good plan for where to start, and I think you will like Power Pistol in the .45ACP.

Be safe, happy shooting.