PDA

View Full Version : Light coming thru RCBS mould

arthury
07-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Just gotten my RCBS mould (SKU: 82080) and test casted 20-30 rounds. The mould cooled down and I can see light passing through it when I held it against the sky. Sigh ...

Is this something I should complain to RCBS?

I tried removing all the screws and adjusted it by hand and I cannot get the light to go away. The LASC website suggested filing the mould to adjust it myself but I'm not keen to do that in case I screw it up beyond recognition.

shotman
07-24-2012, 12:25 AM
yea if you dont know how to HONE dont. file dont work. RCBS is putting out junk. Return it
the line up pins are the problem

RobS
07-24-2012, 12:55 AM
If it wasn't that way before you began it's likely that the alignment pins are set a bit too long. Casting the first time does change the mold a bit and I've had this happen a few times with new RCBS molds. A person can tap the male end pins into the block with a brass hammer or if you don't have one of those you can use a regular hammer with something soft taped to it to take away the blow of metal on metal. I used a 1/8" piece of brass stock to cover the head of the hammer. I suppose you could use a quarter if you were in a pinch. You'll need to take the blocks off the handles and lay the half block on something flat like a piece of wood in order to work on it. It may take a few brisk contacts to move them so don't be alarmed.

arthury
07-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Made one last attempt ... used a tooth-brush and brushed all the surfaces around the alignment pins and sockets contact areas.
Lightly closed it and I still see the light coming through but when I clamp it down, the light disappeared. May be I dislodged some debris near the edges of the alignment pins.

Glad it's fixed. Sorry for the noise.

RobS
07-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Sounds like the alignment pins are a bit long. If you continue to have the problem try to adjust the male pins.

runfiverun
07-24-2012, 01:08 AM
it's not uncommon for rcbs molds to do this.
and rob is correct on the alignment pins needing adjustment quite often.
i have seen quite a few molds with a thin amount of light in them cast very well without finning unless pressure poured.