PDA

View Full Version : Just when you think you got it

lead chucker
07-23-2012, 11:48 PM
You guys ever find a good load that shoots good groups and you go back out and it's still good. But then you go back out to reconfirm it and all of a sudden it's all over the place. I get frustrated some times. So many variables with these bullets. It's a lot of fun trying to figure them out.

geargnasher
07-24-2012, 04:27 AM
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. But eventually you get it nailed if you stick with it. Funny how one person's pet load doesn't often work for another, there are too many variances in individual guns and loading techniques, not to mention components, that keeps it interesting.

Gear

Mk42gunner
07-24-2012, 11:10 AM
If a load works well two out of three times; I am inclined to believe the third try was one of my bad days and give it one more chance.

Of course, the first two times could have been extremely lucky days when you should have bought a lottery ticket.....

Robert

lead chucker
07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Ya seems I have good days and bad. I can go to the range and have a good day with my hand guns and not so good with the rifle and the next time it's the other way around. I suppose shooting in the rain doesn't help either. It's been a real wet summer here.

smithywess
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
If a load works well two out of three times; I am inclined to believe the third try was one of my bad days and give it one more chance.

Of course, the first two times could have been extremely lucky days when you should have bought a lottery ticket.....

Robert

Robert,

I like this. I think it's not the good load sometimes that appears screwed up but us. I find, for instance, that if I work very physically in the morning my shooting's no good for the rest of the day. If I have a lot on my mind that messes it up too. Or if I'm in a bit of a hurry. Or not quite comfortable enough at the bench. Or if I only use my index finger for the 'let off' rather than squeezing my whole hand. Lots of human variables which aren't quite as easy to attend to as fixing the load at the loading bench,

Thanks.

Lance Boyle
07-29-2012, 11:16 AM
I've had that with jacketed loads. Had supremely accurate .22-250 load with BLC2 powder. Worked great......until the temperature went up to the high 90's and groups opened up. Made me revise a load I thought was perfect that I developed as a relatively new loader 20 years ago.

41 mag fan
08-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Everyday. I blame it on my wife, she makes me nervous :violin:

captaint
08-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Inconsistency is one reason I like to pour up a bunch of boolits from each mold when I decide I need more. At least if a problem comes up and the boolits used to shoot good, we can pretty much rule out the boolits. enjoy Mike

1Shirt
08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Women have bad hair days, and cast shooters have bad range days! Happens to the best of us!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Moonie
08-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Bad casting days are the worst, nothing you can do to get good boolits. Thankfully for me those are few and far between.