PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Boolit ring

mdevlin53
07-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Yesterday i was loading up some 30-06. This was my first time with this caliber. I was using the available boolit that i had on hand and they were from a lee c-309-150-F mold. sized to .309 and lubed with alox. When i seated them i got a ring around the nose of the boolit from the die. It is not deep but noticable. I corrected the problem by turning over the seating plug and no more problem. My question is the new mold i have on order is a 180 grain round nose boolit and i doubt the flat side of the plug will be good for this application. Does the slight ring have an effect on accuracy? BTW the alloy is 20-1 so perhaps it is just too soft for this die. It is a Lee RGB and i suppose the guys over at Lee assume everybody shoots them pointy bullets

runfiverun
07-23-2012, 10:46 PM
it really don't hurt anything unless it really deforms the boolit nose or pushes it off to the side.

fcvan
07-24-2012, 01:21 PM
I have that boolit mold and have loaded it in 30-30 and 30-06, both using Lee dies. I was also getting a ring imprint from an ill fitting top punch. I modified the top punch with JB weld to fit the nose. For the dies, I removed the seating plug and used a case chamfer tool to open up the plug. Both seating plugs are a slightly more open cone shape which centers the boolit without leaving the ring.

The rounds I loaded which had the imprint shot ok but I wasn't very proud of the way they looked. Now, they look and shoot great and the groups did tighten up a smidge. FRank

GabbyM
07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Are you expanding the case necks with any type of expander plug?

Wayne Smith
07-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Won't affect accuracy enough to matter. Reference Dr. Mann's The Bullet's Flight - he did these experiments at the beginning of the last century and the results are still valid.

mdevlin53
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Yes i am using the expander plug with the full lgth sizing die and belling the moiuth wit a universal epander from lee. I tried the case reamer and it looks.like that may solve the problem. I just have to soot some to make some empty cases now. A great problem to have.

Shiloh
07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
It never seemed to be an issue. I have the ring you speak of, but it is just a mark. No scarring, no deformation, no raised metal.

Shiloh