PDA

View Full Version : Unusual 45 AR

StrawHat
07-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I shoot the 45 AR cartridge and was able to purchase a few boxes of factory stuff at a good price, cheaper than empties. Included with the boxed stuff were some "extras". I thought all the factory stuff was loaded with a LRN, apparently not!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Misc/45LCAR004.jpg

The one cartridge is obviously a 45 long Colt with an R-P headstamp. The 45 AR with the LRN is likewise a R-P headstamp. The 45 AR with the jacketed hollow point is headstamped W.R.A. If anyone knows of this cartridge, I would like to know more about it.

runfiverun
07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
wra is winchester repeating arms. then it went win/olin.
but kept the win headstamp.
they also used super-x, super speed,win,and winchester. sometimes with a win in front of the super-x and super speed.

Wayne Smith
07-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I was picking up brass at the range Sat. while shooting my 1911. When sorting them I found one with a unusual headstamp: "Peters 27"! This was on a section of the range opened just two weeks ago, too.

StrawHat
07-25-2012, 05:40 AM
I am looking for information on the 45 AR with the JHP. I thought it was all loaded with LRN stuff.

Bret4207
07-25-2012, 07:33 AM
IIRC from years and years of reading stuff going back into the teens, the 20's and 30's were the hey day of the AR. It was also a time of great experimentation and in which you could get the factories to custom load most whatever you wanted- for a price. My guess is that someone took an early jacketed 45ACP bullet and had it put in the AR case, a police dept or industrial security agency perhaps. One of the cartridge collector sites might be able to pinpoint it. But those were the days when the first "armor piercing" rounds came out for handguns too. Of course they did much better on glass than armor, but there were all sorts of odd loading around- frangible rounds, tear gas rounds, etc.